TriL1011Star
Topic Author

Could this really happen? (escape from a plane in the bathroom)

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Here is a clip from the movie catch me if you can, where the fraudster goes into the bathroom, and escapes the plane, out onto a runway.

Is this really possible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gipPQTAPhgU

KentB27

Re: Could this really happen? (escape from a plane in the bathroom)

Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm sure it's technically possible with power tools but I seriously doubt it can be done with just your bare hands.

PatrickZ80

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:39 am

No, it's not possible.

The toilet is inside the pressure cabin. The only way in and out of that cabin is through the doors and cockpit windows. He came out the landing gear which is totally impossible. The whole landing gear is outside the pressure cabin with no way to get in.

It's not even possible to end up in the cargo hold beneath the floor. That floor is pretty solid with just a few holes for the water supply and the drain, but those aren't big enough to let a man through.

Also, why did they have to kick in the bathroom door? Everyone knows that if you lift the "occupied" sign there's a switch to open the door from the outside.

ChrisKen

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:45 am

It's feasible on the VC10 he was alleged to have escaped from (although not necessarily via the route depicted). However it's never actually ever been confirmed he actually made the escape.

Tristarsteve

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:07 pm

It's not even possible to end up in the cargo hold beneath the floor. That floor is pretty solid with just a few holes for the water supply and the drain, but those aren't big enough to let a man through.

Depends. Many aircraft have an emergency escape from the underfloor crew rest through a hatch in the floor.
The Tristar had two routes. Through a hatch in the lift roof, down into the lower galley, then out through a lifting door into the equipment bay and out through a door.
There was also an emergency exit from the lower galley into the passenger cabin through a hatch in the floor. This was to let the cabin crew escape if both lifts were stuck in the up position.
Also an emergency hatch in the aft cabin floor that let you down into the bulk cargo hold.
Last edited by Tristarsteve on Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BravoOne

Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:08 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
No, it's not possible.

The toilet is inside the pressure cabin. The only way in and out of that cabin is through the doors and cockpit windows. He came out the landing gear which is totally impossible. The whole landing gear is outside the pressure cabin with no way to get in.

Also, why did they have to kick in the bathroom door? Everyone knows that if you lift the "occupied" sign there's a switch to open the door from the outside.

Actually you could get from the pax cabin into the lower hold on the DC10 and the 757, maybe a few others as well, I just never had occasion to use it. Both the DC10 and 757 had a flat panel door in he floor that could be pushed open. Going back as far as the 707, you could access the flight deck via the door access to the Lower 41 compt.

Dalmd88

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:12 pm

The 767 has a hatch in the Fwd Galley floor that leads to the lower Electronics bay. You step on it while you board through the L1 door. I believe the 777 has on also. Someone mentioned the 757. I worked on them a lot and do not recall a hatch anywhere. The DC9/MD80 family has a very small hatch from the flight deck to the lower Electronics bay. It's just behind the Captain's seat. There are decompression panels in the ceilings of all cargo areas that will blow out if the pressure in them is to high or low. Above them the cabin floor is screwed down to the floor beams so not an easy way into the cargo hold.

None of these access ways are easy to get to. Also none get you to the gear wells.

BravoOne

Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:47 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
The 767 has a hatch in the Fwd Galley floor that leads to the lower Electronics bay. You step on it while you board through the L1 door. I believe the 777 has on also. Someone mentioned the 757. I worked on them a lot and do not recall a hatch anywhere. The DC9/MD80 family has a very small hatch from the flight deck to the lower Electronics bay. It's just behind the Captain's seat. There are decompression panels in the ceilings of all cargo areas that will blow out if the pressure in them is to high or low. Above them the cabin floor is screwed down to the floor beams so not an easy way into the cargo hold.

None of these access ways are easy to get to. Also none get you to the gear wells.

The 757 door is located in what would typically be 1st class about three rows back on the right side. I know this because the aircraft we were operating (now Trumps 757), has a ladder that extended out the E/E bay so it was possible to climb into the E/E bay and pop up into the crew rest area.

Funny story, We parked in MSP and had NW keep it in their hangar with instructions to not enter the aircraft. We armed the video monitors and noticed that there had been a breech. NW was insisted that no one had entered the airplane until we played the tape for them, and there in living color was the guy going up the hatch. Pics don't lie. I think the guy got fired?

Dalmd88

Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:46 am

BravoOne wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

The 757 door is located in what would typically be 1st class about three rows back on the right side. I know this because the aircraft we were operating (now Trumps 757), has a ladder that extended out the E/E bay so it was possible to climb into the E/E bay and pop up into the crew rest area.

Funny story, We parked in MSP and had NW keep it in their hangar with instructions to not enter the aircraft. We armed the video monitors and noticed that there had been a breech. NW was insisted that no one had entered the airplane until we played the tape for them, and there in living color was the guy going up the hatch. Pics don't lie. I think the guy got fired?

The DL 757 or the NW purchased ones didn't have a hatch into the E/E. I bet it was an option.

BravoOne

Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:26 am

Well if there was no external access to the E/E, how did you get access these components? I have never seen a 757 without this door, minus the ladder of course, as that was a separate STC. In addition the most current Boeing FCOM clearly identifies the "E/E Access Door on a number of pages. If it were an option it would be identified as such. For clarification, this door is on he bottom of the fuselage about six feet aft of the nosewheel and it opens inward and aft Lastly I have done many walk arounds on Delta 757's and as I recall, checking that this door is closed was a part of that task. Maybe we are talking about two different doors?

Okie

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:26 pm

TriL1011Star wrote:
Here is a clip from the movie catch me if you can, where the fraudster goes into the bathroom, and escapes the plane, out onto a runway.Is this really possible?

It is a movie!!!!!

If you can see runway Four-Four at LGA then exiting through the restroom to the landing gear is just a piece of cake :roll:

Okie

AirKevin

Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Maybe not from the bathroom, but Lufthansa pilots have exited the aircraft before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fs9HcdhUFI
Captain Kevin

rjsampson

Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:19 am

AirKevin wrote:
Maybe not from the bathroom, but Lufthansa pilots have exited the aircraft before.

I almost started a thread on this once... How on EARTH did the A340 pilot "exit" an aircraft on a taxiway with a full load of passengers (and at JFK, no less)??
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

AirKevin

Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:52 am

rjsampson wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

I almost started a thread on this once... How on EARTH did the A340 pilot "exit" an aircraft on a taxiway with a full load of passengers (and at JFK, no less)??

Like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrHO6a04Cw
Captain Kevin

SAAFNAV

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:04 am

rjsampson wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

I googled it now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKrHO6a04Cw
L-382 Loadmaster; ex C-130B Navigator

7BOEING7

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:42 pm

There’s a similar exit on the 747. Acess from main cabin to the E&E bay then out an acess door by the nose gear.
Last edited by 7BOEING7 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

7BOEING7

Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:43 pm

Duplicate

Conniston

Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 pm

rjsampson wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

It's happened at least more than once. There's an anecdote about a BOAC Britannia that had landed at then-Idlewild on a bad winter day. The Britannias had a squat switch on the nose gear to prevent the propellers from going into super-fine pitch unless the plane was on the ground. In this particular case, the squat switch had frozen up or remained stuck after landing so the propellers remained in flight fine pitch on the ground. The alternators needed a minimum number of engine RPMs to remain on the line, but with the propellers on flight fine pitch this yielded a significant amount of thrust. With ice/snow contaminated taxiways they could not safely taxi in this condition.

After discussion, the crew shut down the #2 engine to allow the F/E to descend to the ground via the escape rope to attempt to free up the squat switch. He managed it and the props went into ground fine pitch, however the F/E found himself unable to climb back up the rope. The Captain radioed for someone to come pick him up and taxied away.