Cory6188
Topic Author

Ground Staff Outsourcing - US vs. Europe

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:20 am

Across the US and Europe, I've consistently noticed that European airlines are significantly more likely to have their ground staff outsourced at all but the largest of hubs, whereas in the US, most airlines have their own ground staff, with the exception of small-scale domestic stations (and for NK, F9, etc., who do tend to outsource pretty widely).

Using DL as an example, with whom my company has our corporate contract, I've noticed that the ground staff even in European stations tend to have DL uniforms, etc. (even if the staff might in fact be outsourced), whereas on KL or AF, it's very obviously a local outsourced ground agency.

What's the rationale for this difference in operating model? Is it a cultural difference in expectation for Americans vs. Europeans? Different business and/or operational model? Something else?

LAXintl

Re: Ground Staff Outsourcing - US vs. Europe

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 am

Contract handling is big business (and growing).
In fact it's not unusual for foreign airlines to contract out handling even at their hubs (EK@DXB, QR@DOH, LH@FRA, SQ@SIN).

As far as above wing staff in airline uniforms, it's really up to the airline. If they want to pay for and supply contract vendor staff with uniforms that is often something rather easy to include in the contract.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

skipness1E

Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:31 am

Emirates outsource handling to DNATA who are owned by.....er Emirates!

MARSHAL1

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:49 am

You will need to look at their badge. Lots of times subcontractors wear the airline uniform. I've seen this with Spirit in DFW. They have Spirit uniforms but they are not Spirit airline employees but subcontractors. But their badge will show who their employer actually is. Contracted ticket agents wear the company uniform in many airports and even the company lanyard or badge holder.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:55 am

Delta owns Delta Global Services who handle Delta flights.

GF

hayzel777

Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:58 am

LAXintl wrote:
Contract handling is big business (and growing).
In fact it's not unusual for foreign airlines to contract out handling even at their hubs (EK@DXB, QR@DOH, LH@FRA, SQ@SIN).

As far as above wing staff in airline uniforms, it's really up to the airline. If they want to pay for and supply contract vendor staff with uniforms that is often something rather easy to include in the contract.

EK owns Dnata, Qatar owns QAS, and SQ owns SATS. The only exception is LH with Fraport. Airlines do this to reduce costs.

More examples of "contracted out" ground handling at hubs:
BR contracts to EGAS
CI contracts TIAS
DL contracts to DL Global Services

chepos

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:18 am

At AA domestic stations above a certain operational size (depending on amount of mainline flights) tkt counter and gate work needs to be imsourced. Internationally it’s a different story, for example at LHR above wing staff is insourced, but at all the Colombia/Ecuador stations all CSA staff (including the GM of the station is a third party). Each international location is different for AA.
Fly the Flag!!!!

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:22 am

MARSHAL1 wrote:
You will need to look at their badge. Lots of times subcontractors wear the airline uniform. I've seen this with Spirit in DFW. They have Spirit uniforms but they are not Spirit airline employees but subcontractors. But their badge will show who their employer actually is. Contracted ticket agents wear the company uniform in many airports and even the company lanyard or badge holder.

Engineers often have the airline name and logo on the back of their high viz. But in some cases, when they're done with a flight they simply remove the conveniently velcro-secured logo from their high viz and replace it with the logo for the airline on their next flight.

"Wait, am I not KLM right now?" ;)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

smi0006

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:11 am

Also some airlines are in the ground handling game directly themselves, in AU Qantas handles several carriers- JL, BA, CA etc.

Back when I was a customer service agent with a handling company, I would bring three uniforms to work, and change through out my shift, was worse for the girls who is to reapply their make up and fix their hair for hats and what not!!

VSMUT

Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:52 pm

Cory6188 wrote:
What's the rationale for this difference in operating model? Is it a cultural difference in expectation for Americans vs. Europeans? Different business and/or operational model? Something else?

Lets say you operate 1 flight per day into an airport. Are you going to hire a full-time set of staff (pensions and all), complete with spares just in case one goes ill for the day, just so that they can work 2-3 hours during the turnaround? Or would you prefer to just hire a company to just provide all the staff for just 3 hours? ;)

IMO, American airlines seem really wasteful. I have seen airports in Europe served by just 1 flight per day, and yet the airline rents a crew room! Rent and furnish a room in the airport, so that the crew can spend 5 minutes doing something any other airlines would do in the hotel lobby?

Apprentice

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:35 am

Hi: For US’s planes, Several position’s requiered a FAA license, W&B Dispatchers, A/P Mechanics... These personnel is not easy to find in many countries, so even they fly with aircraft or send from may base to be there for some time.
Some European use special permit that allow a local license personnel to be “accepted” by JAA. This is not acceptable for FAR which do not accept no licensed personnel to work in US’s registered plane.

Hi
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”