JustAnAvGeek
Topic Author

Crosswind Landing Technique

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:30 pm

Is it possible to perform a crosswind landing whilst aligned with the runway (localizer)? I came across this flight simmer and he was parallel to the runway, but occasionally turning into the wind (just a little input), then going wings level, and over and over right until he got to the runway.
Tried it, and ended up drifting half a mile off.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Crosswind Landing Technique

Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:44 pm

Fly the heading that negates the drift due to the crosswind. Landing on runway 36, TAS on final is 120 knots, crosswind component is 20 from the right. (1 knot of crosswind equals 1⁰ of drift for each 60 knots of TAS). Upon flare, gently add right rudder to align the fuselage while adding some left down wing aileron.

Gf

BoeingGuy

Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:44 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Fly the heading that negates the drift due to the crosswind. Landing on runway 36, TAS on final is 120 knots, crosswind component is 20 from the right. (1 knot of crosswind equals 1⁰ of drift for each 60 knots of TAS). Upon flare, gently add right rudder to align the fuselage while adding some left down wing aileron.

Gf

The Boeing autopilots put in a correction at 500 ft and/or 200 feet during a crosswind autoland to introduce a slide slip to remove the crab angle. I assumed that pilots did similar well before flare during a manual landing.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:01 pm

Depends on how you were trained—I did the decrab as it ensures wingtip clearance (not more than 5⁰ of bank angle. Side slip works also, but a combination is how it works mostly, the decrab is essentially a side slip during the flare, so bank is contained. I’ve enough investigated wingtip/flap strikes to want to avoid them.

Boeing used to recommend/teach decrab in the 707/727 days

GF

JustAnAvGeek
Topic Author

Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:25 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Depends on how you were trained—I did the decrab as it ensures wingtip clearance (not more than 5⁰ of bank angle. Side slip works also, but a combination is how it works mostly, the decrab is essentially a side slip during the flare, so bank is contained. I’ve enough investigated wingtip/flap strikes to want to avoid them.

Boeing used to recommend/teach decrab in the 707/727 days

GF

Noted. In what situations would you use the decrab (referring to 707/727 days), or is it just another way of landing?

Noshow

Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:22 am

There are essentially two technices to land in a crosswind: Put the nose slightly into the wind or let the windside wing hang into the wind like on a light roll or combine both. How you finally need to touch down depends on the airplane. Some have a very limited wing or pod clearance and need to crab, others can't do to much of that because it would overstress their gear.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:44 pm

I decrabbed in all large planes—C-5, 727, Global Express. If I went back to a 172, I’d probably crab down final, but convert to wing low approaching the threshold—nothing to scrape in a 172.

GF

T54A

Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:04 pm

This is how the Boeing Test Pilots do it. Copy them

https://youtu.be/ljOxo0s33sI
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

VSMUT

Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:31 pm

Depends entirely on the aircraft type.

For turboprops, maintaining the runway heading while banking into the wind and compensating for drift with the rudder seems most common. In the ATR, crabbing onto the runway is really risky, it will either result in a messy bouncy balance act on just one MLG, and/or you will run right off the side of the runway. It doesn't correct the runway heading itself.
On all GA pistons I used the same method with no problems, including C172s, DA-40s, PA-28s and MEP(L)s.

I have been told that an MD-80 can (should? FYI, it was the Lion Air technique, so take it with a grain of salt) crab onto the runway, and the design will self-right itself along the runway center-line.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:33 pm

This is best decrabbing video I’ve ever seen, used for training, too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HmdrYKIDbSQ

You don’t crunch it on crabbed, you squeeze the rudder to align the fuselage with the centerline, applying enough aileron to keep the wings near level.

GF

Florianopolis

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:31 am

You may find this interesting. http://skybrary.aero/bookshelf/books/179.pdf

The gist is that crabbing until flare and then swinging it out with rudder and a bit of roll into the wind gives you the best combination of reduced loads and smallest risk of banging something important into the ground (737 split scimitar, anyone?).