IFlyVeryLittle
Topic Author

Advances in aircraft utilization

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:01 pm

I imagine the art and science of making sure every route for every airline is operated by exactly the right-sized aircraft for maximum profitability is a fairly complicated job handled by very expensive software. The evidence: I haven't been on a flight in the last five years that wasn't at least 80 percent full. But I can remember flying home to Florida in the 1980s from LGA on an Eastern L-1011 so sparsely filled the flight crew brought all of us north to first class to more easily serve and keep track of us. So, I ask: Was there a breakthrough at some point in this technology? And did the airlines develop it themselves or was it an outside source? Thanks.

MassAppeal

Re: Advances in aircraft utilization

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:21 pm

Deregulation and the ensuing hyper competition had more to do with it than selecting the right sized aircraft for the job.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:00 pm

The breakthrough is mostly IT, the airline’s ability to crunch mountains of data on passenger preferences, yield management, to match a bum with a seat 99% of the departures.

There was an interesting BBD study on how and why DL is so profitable, mostly about how it matches the correct size (most efficient) plane with every market down to time of departure 6 am, an MD-88 for the business departure at 8; two RJs during the day, then a 737-900 on late afternoon. That sort detail.

GF

Francoflier

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:52 am

I agree that is has more to do with extreme data gathering and analysis by a host of advanced software at several levels of the airline business than just aircraft utilization optimization.
What used to be guesstimates and gut feelings in an uncompetitive market are now quasi-scientific methods in a cut-throat environment.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

FTMCPIUS

Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:59 pm

Not exactly in line with this thread’s subject matter but I’m jumping in with something that, at the time, seemed fun and adventurous but would have never been done just a few years later. I’m not sure any type of research could confirm this.

In the late 70s or early 80s I was flying ORD-MIA on UA (pretty sure it was a 744 to MIA, I was fairly young then). Just before we were buttoned up the Captain told us there was a problem with the pressurization system. As such and (IIRC) because of the time required to do the repair the flight would have to canceled. He presented us with an option, however. (This is truly ridiculous) The majority of passengers could vote to fly at 10,000 ft. which would result in a much longer flight. This would avoid re-booking problems, etc. The majority voted to do this and the flight was quite scenic (and long).

I’m not sure if this was consistent with UA policy (or other airlines?) at the time or maybe the flight had a top-tier VIP on board. What doesn’t make sense is United has a repair facility in Chicago but not in Miami.

And, no, I was not on anything at the time.

AirKevin

Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:14 pm

FTMCPIUS wrote:
Not exactly in line with this thread’s subject matter but I’m jumping in with something that, at the time, seemed fun and adventurous but would have never been done just a few years later. I’m not sure any type of research could confirm this.

In the late 70s or early 80s I was flying ORD-MIA on UA (pretty sure it was a 744 to MIA, I was fairly young then). Just before we were buttoned up the Captain told us there was a problem with the pressurization system. As such and (IIRC) because of the time required to do the repair the flight would have to canceled. He presented us with an option, however. (This is truly ridiculous) The majority of passengers could vote to fly at 10,000 ft. which would result in a much longer flight. This would avoid re-booking problems, etc. The majority voted to do this and the flight was quite scenic (and long).

I’m not sure if this was consistent with UA policy (or other airlines?) at the time or maybe the flight had a top-tier VIP on board. What doesn’t make sense is United has a repair facility in Chicago but not in Miami.

And, no, I was not on anything at the time.

No way it was a Boeing 747-400 if it was in the late 70s or early 80s since the first flight of the Boeing 747-400 didn't happen until 1988, and the first delivery happened in 1989. Maybe a Boeing 747-100 or -200?
Captain Kevin

FTMCPIUS

Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:57 am

Sorry AirKevin, a typo. I meant 747.