T54A
Topic Author

Why GE’s Affinity Is a Supersonic Enabler

Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm

Is this groundbreaking tech or just hype. Nice to see the discussion is getting more serious.

http://m.aviationweek.com/nbaa-2018/why ... ic-enabler

https://youtu.be/pESZu-m8IR0
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

Channex757

Re: Why GE’s Affinity Is a Supersonic Enabler

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:10 pm

Their video mentions it's got the world's most popular hot squeezy bang section. Might that be from the CFM56 core? Or is it a military design being repurposed?

Seems to me to be a low bypass design anyway but with that twin fan that is interesting.

MassAppeal

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 am

There will not be a commercial supersonic aircraft for at least 30 more years.

Unless we're talking about mach 4 speeds nobody cares about or needs another Concorde. Its just not going to happen.

greg85

Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:53 am

Channex757 wrote:
Their video mentions it's got the world's most popular hot squeezy bang section. Might that be from the CFM56 core? Or is it a military design being repurposed?

Seems to me to be a low bypass design anyway but with that twin fan that is interesting.

The CFM56 core is a repurposed military design. Regardless of how available the technology is, I bet there’s a lack of demand for it.

426Shadow

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:00 am

MassAppeal wrote:

Unless we're talking about mach 4 speeds nobody cares about or needs another Concorde. Its just not going to happen.

I hope someone screenshots this.

As for my opinion, people with money do stupid things with it. The A380 was a stupid idea but someone wanted it bad enough (Emirates). Supersonic business jets will be the same way.
AKA Andre3K

MassAppeal

Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 am

426Shadow wrote:
MassAppeal wrote:

I hope someone screenshots this.

As for my opinion, people with money do stupid things with it. The A380 was a stupid idea but someone wanted it bad enough (Emirates). Supersonic business jets will be the same way.

Even with the A380 program you still have hundreds of jets criss cossing the world with little impact. Add in sonic booms and its a complete killer. Contrary to popular belief there really isn't a need for anyone to be in London for a meeting in the morning and again in New York 3 hours later. The US government can't even fly supersonic over land and you think some rich CEO of is going to get away with it? No way.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it. Even in the insane world of private jet travel. Why spend all that money for a few dozen business jets? This isn't a new Citation...we're talking about sonic booms that break windows over a 3000 mile trip and operating costs that will blow away even the most obscene costs of modern corporate jets. What's the percentage of corporate jets that fly 7+ hour over water legs that will make this usable? 5% of them? Anyone saying they can eliminate sonic booms is lying. The military would have paid billions for such technology if it were possible. There have been companies for generations saying they can but none of them have even come close.

I really do hope I'm wrong but its just not going to happen any time soon. Maybe in 50 years but I doubt it.

Channex757

Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:54 pm

greg85 wrote:
Channex757 wrote:

The CFM56 core is a repurposed military design. Regardless of how available the technology is, I bet there’s a lack of demand for it.

GE have one lying about, the F136 test engine. Shame really as that might still be embargoed.

Could be anything really but GE will want to keep costs to a minimum. It will indeed only ever be a low volume, halo project.

426Shadow

Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:18 pm

MassAppeal wrote:

Even with the A380 program you still have hundreds of jets criss cossing the world with little impact. Add in sonic booms and its a complete killer. Contrary to popular belief there really isn't a need for anyone to be in London for a meeting in the morning and again in New York 3 hours later. The US government can't even fly supersonic over land and you think some rich CEO of is going to get away with it? No way.

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see it. Even in the insane world of private jet travel. Why spend all that money for a few dozen business jets? This isn't a new Citation...we're talking about sonic booms that break windows over a 3000 mile trip and operating costs that will blow away even the most obscene costs of modern corporate jets. What's the percentage of corporate jets that fly 7+ hour over water legs that will make this usable? 5% of them? Anyone saying they can eliminate sonic booms is lying. The military would have paid billions for such technology if it were possible. There have been companies for generations saying they can but none of them have even come close.

I really do hope I'm wrong but its just not going to happen any time soon. Maybe in 50 years but I doubt it.

Jet's breaking glass with sonic booms is much more rare than you think. Even at low altittudes the F/A-18 had much trouble breaking glass in one episode of Mythbusters, and by low alt I mean 50 feet. Then there is this youtube video of some Mirages breaking glass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43Kl7c2yU3g, but guess what, they are less than 100ft off the ground. The shock wave strength drops rapidly from high altittude. The same way the Space Shuttle which had THE LOUDEST SONIC BOOM of any aircraft in the last 30 years flew over populated areas all the time and didn't break glass. It's all about annoying people, not breaking glass. The goal of low boom aircraft is to reduce the boom to the level of a car door closing, which happens all the time and nobody complains about that. Besides, its not like were going to see 5000 of these things streaking across the skies like all these subsonic jets.

As for "Not needing to be somewhere quickly" you are absolutely right, what who needs a $10,000,000 painting or a Gulfstream 650 when you typically only fly for 3 hours in the US, or a Bugatti Veyron? Status symbols are a thing among the rich, and like it or not people will buy it if they can be among the few to have it. Or haven't you noticed how many people are signing up for 6 minute space flights at over $300,000 a pop.
AKA Andre3K

AA737-823

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:51 am

Channex757 wrote:

Greetings from CFM56 land; those fuel nozzles indeed look VERY familiar.

WIederling

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:34 pm

greg85 wrote:
The CFM56 core is a repurposed military design.

At the time of its inception.
It was what GE could bring to the fray. ( other wise it would probably have been some derivation of the M55 core ?)
Murphy is an optimist

kalvado

Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:49 pm

sometimes it pays off to read a link in original post..
However, with GE’s new Affinity – a medium-bypass engine combining a fighter-like low-pressure system with the well-known core of the F101/CFM56 – now in hand,