Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

namso0991
Topic Author

why the external release is only on the f/o's side of the aircraft

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:59 am

why the external release is only on the f/o's side of the aircraft??? Why not captain side or all of them thanks for information

qcpilotxf

Re: why the external release is only on the f/o's side of the aircraft

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:06 pm

External release? I think we are going to need some more information on this before we will be able to answer your question. Aircraft? What an external release is? maybe even an operator?

Redbellyguppy

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:28 pm

It allows cockpit window to be opened from outside.

namso0991
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:30 pm

RH Sliding window it can open outside I wanna learn why is it f/o side why not captain side

stratclub

Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm

The OP is referring to the 737 and IIRC, 707 and 727. I have never heard an explanation to why only on the F/O's side. My guess is even though it's probably wrong is that a good captain should go down with the ship. :biggrin:

Max Q

Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm

I asked this question a while back and no one knew

My theory is if you’re connected to a jetway but can’t get out the cockpit door an external release for the cockpit window on the left side wouldn’t be accessible

namso0991
Topic Author

Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:24 pm

I am not sure maybe it can be first captain get on the aircraft before f/o is it possible ?

FlyMKG

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:48 am

There are a few cargo 727s flying where the release in only on the Captain's side. I believe Kalitta Charters II has a few.

Acey559

Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:50 pm

My airline has 767BDSF aircraft with the same configuration. My assumption is that if the aircraft ends up rolled over on the right side, rescue crews can use the main cabin door to ingress. If it’s rolled over on the left side and access to the door isn’t possible, then they can ingress through the window. We don’t have an R1 door on the Freighter so if the main cabin door is blocked, the window is the only other way to get in/out.

FriscoHeavy

Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:01 pm

[/u][/u]
namso0991 wrote:
RH Sliding window it can open outside I wanna learn why is it f/o side why not captain side

Hey chief,

I hope you get the answers you are looking for, but please use periods/commas to make reading easier. Thank you

benjjk

Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:46 am

I'm not sure if this is the answer, but to facilitate a quick turnaround the aircraft maintenance logs were (maybe still are somewhere?) transferred from flight to ground crew via a long pole to the FO's window. With the jetbridge on the captains side this task would be hard to do from that side - maybe even impossible.

Acey559

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:27 am

benjjk wrote:
I'm not sure if this is the answer, but to facilitate a quick turnaround the aircraft maintenance logs were (maybe still are somewhere?) transferred from flight to ground crew via a long pole to the FO's window. With the jetbridge on the captains side this task would be hard to do from that side - maybe even impossible.

Under normal circumstances, our windows open inward so that shouldn’t be an issue. I fly cargo so we don’t park at traditional gates with jetways, but unless the window was entirely forward of the jetway covering, it wouldn’t be an issue. With the covering pressing against the window (which they shouldn’t be, but it happens), I could still open my window because it opens in, not out.

Acey559

Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:49 pm

benjjk wrote:

I just realized that I was speaking for my airplane (757/767) and that not all planes have windows that open. That’s what I get for posting at 2am after not getting enough sleep.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:34 pm

benjjk wrote:

Um, no. The flight crew would simply open the window from the inside. Opening the window from the outside involves popping the handle out and rotating it until the window opens.

The answer is that it probably has something to do with certification, and Boeing chose to do it this way.

benjjk

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:39 pm

fr8mech wrote:
benjjk wrote:

Um, no. The flight crew would simply open the window from the inside. Opening the window from the outside involves popping the handle out and rotating it until the window opens.

The answer is that it probably has something to do with certification, and Boeing chose to do it this way.

I never mentioned opening the window from the outside. My point is that it would be more difficult to get someone to stand pretty much under the jetbridge and hoist a long pole up there in the confined space - much easier to do it from the FO's side.

fr8mech

Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:46 pm

benjjk wrote:

I never mentioned opening the window from the outside. My point is that it would be more difficult to get someone to stand pretty much under the jetbridge and hoist a long pole up there in the confined space - much easier to do it from the FO's side.

But, the OP’s question was concerning the external release on the FO’s side, bit the internal operating crank. And, if a jet bridge is on the aircraft, why bother monkeying around with a pole and the window, while distracting the flight crew with duties inside the aircraft?

pikachu

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 am

benjjk wrote:

I'm sure.
This is not.
The answer.
LOL
"Put some cheeseburgers on the end of your long pole next time!"

benjjk

Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:57 am

fr8mech wrote:
benjjk wrote:

But, the OP’s question was concerning the external release on the FO’s side, bit the internal operating crank. And, if a jet bridge is on the aircraft, why bother monkeying around with a pole and the window, while distracting the flight crew with duties inside the aircraft?

In a follow-up post he talks about the RH sliding window, which I took to meaning simply asking why the FO window can open and not the captains, but I am now guessing he means to ask why it can open FROM the outside. In which case I have no idea.

As comical as it might sound though, the pole to the window technique was used at an airline I briefly ramped at a decade ago, I have no idea if the process is still used. To use the jetbridge would mean climbing the stairs, fighting through the deplaning pax and back again, twice per turnaround which was only 30 minutes long. Swapping the books via the pole saved a lot of time and hassle - no cheeseburger deliveries in my time though.

Apprentice

Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:13 pm

Hello: Do not remenber had seen this “window opening syastem” before. Just internally unlatch and move back. When thinking at the pilot’s windows, I can’t imagine this system.
Any photo please?
Thanks, Rgds