Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BMS
Topic Author

Transporting Jet Fuel

Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:37 am

I am looking for information regarding the transportation of Jet Fuel. It will be a 2000 letter container on a trailer. Do you need to get a special licence. What are the laws regarding the trailer/container?

XAM2175

Re: Transporting Jet Fuel

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:19 am

You don't need any special licence to transport letters on a trailer, as long as you have a license that covers the trailer.

There are indeed laws regarding the trailer and container, and even more laws when you're transporting jet fuel instead of letters.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Where are you located and what routes will be used? HAZMAT (Dangerous Goods) regulations vary by jurisdiction. You likely can’t just load up a trailer with jet fuel and drive away. The cleanliness of the tank trailer alone would be an issue.

Speak with the local police who regulate road traffic.

GF

AirKevin

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Speak with the local police who regulate road traffic.

Assuming we're talking about long distance travel, you're probably looking more at the Department of Transportation.

johns624

Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:03 am

That works out to around 530 US gallons. I hope your trailer has brakes.

BMS
Topic Author

Sun Oct 07, 2018 3:02 pm

Sorry guys. I meant litres. PanHAM no need to be rude. I'm hopefully going to be transporting the fuel approximately 20km.

XAM2175

Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:59 pm

BMS wrote:
Sorry guys. I meant litres. PanHAM no need to be rude. I'm hopefully going to be transporting the fuel approximately 20km.

I'm amazed that this still needs to be said so I'm going to make it nice and clear:
WHERE ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO THIS?

Because what you're doing at the moment is a bit like hiring a divorce lawyer in Germany to consult on a matter of tax law in Japan without actually telling them that.

barney captain

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:12 pm

XAM2175 wrote:
BMS wrote:

I'm amazed that this still needs to be said so I'm going to make it nice and clear:
WHERE ARE YOU PLANNING TO DO THIS?

Because what you're doing at the moment is a bit like hiring a divorce lawyer in Germany to consult on a matter of tax law in Japan without actually telling them that.

No kidding. Asking an open ended question like this is just odd.

Go to the source - your local State authorities. All you will get here is opinion.

Are really going to base your plan on that?

johns624

Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:34 pm

Since he's talking litres and kilometers, he could be just about anywhere in the world but the US.

PanHAM

Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:39 am

Divorce laws in Germany and Japan may be different, the Transport of DG/Hazmat is internationally standardized-

When someone even thinks that he can carry a flammable lqiuid in a "letter Container", an answwer cannot be rude enough. My answer was well emaning, saying that he should ask an expert . That should be a Company that owns the needed Equipmment and personell . Only they will have the license to carry such loads.

I would not even carry a 10 Liter can in the trunk&boot of a car over a small distance.

XAM2175

Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm

PanHAM wrote:
Divorce laws in Germany and Japan may be different, the Transport of DG/Hazmat is internationally standardized

Yes, but the exact application of those standards still varies by jurisdiction. In one place you may need a specific license as a transport company, and in others you may need authorisation from an environmental-protection agency, and so on and so forth.

The overall point remains though that somebody who doesn't even have the presence of mind to specify the jurisdiction in which he's looking for information is not somebody who should have anything at all to do with dangerous goods!

SAAFNAV

Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:45 pm

PanHAM wrote:
I would not even carry a 10 Liter can in the trunk&boot of a car over a small distance.

That certainly sounds like a very European answer :mrgreen:
In Africa we have to do things a bit differently though. Not meaning Rambo style, but having a secure Jerry-can strapped down is hardly keeping my awake at night.

deltal1011man

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:23 pm

PanHAM wrote:
Divorce laws in Germany and Japan may be different, the Transport of DG/Hazmat is internationally standardized-

When someone even thinks that he can carry a flammable lqiuid in a "letter Container", an answwer cannot be rude enough. My answer was well emaning, saying that he should ask an expert . That should be a Company that owns the needed Equipmment and personell . Only they will have the license to carry such loads.

uh. no it isn't. It might be Standard in Europe but it certainly isn't in the US. The Federal DOT will have rules but so will the EPA and the state DOTs/EPAs. Laws dealing with fuel in Georgia are completely different then California, for example.

PanHAM wrote:

You can't possibly be serious?

SAAFNAV wrote:
PanHAM wrote:

That certainly sounds like a very European answer :mrgreen:
In Africa we have to do things a bit differently though. Not meaning Rambo style, but having a secure Jerry-can strapped down is hardly keeping my awake at night.

I guess its a EU thing because I do even less than what you said. Good old red plastic can for gas, yellow for diesel, put it in the back of the truck and i might strap it down depending on distance.
and well over 2 and half gallons :lol: :lol: :lol:

BMS wrote:
I am looking for information regarding the transportation of Jet Fuel. It will be a 2000 letter container on a trailer. Do you need to get a special licence. What are the laws regarding the trailer/container?

Little helpful hint.
Laws are different all over the world. If you want help you need to give us a lot more information than what you are right now.

amishfarmer

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:04 pm

I'm looking at this from a security standpoint...are you trying to learn how to transport fuel for nefarious reasons?
Otherwise, go to your local transportation office and ask them how to do it.

PanHAM

Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:32 am

The ONLY way to look at this is the SAFETY stadard. If someone wants to carry a 1ß or 20 Liter Jerry can in his trunk or Pick-up he can do that. I live in a Suburb and carry groceries and clothing in the boot and do npt want that to get in touch with anything that can spoil this. In Africa or in Redneck Country I would drive a Pick-up.

Which leads us to the question. Driving a Pick-up in Europe you would Need to safely and securely tie down the 10 öiter Jerry can. We still have not discovered from which Country the opener Comes from. He used metrics so a good Point would be either Canada or Australia.. Both countries with high safety Standards. The fact that he wants to carry Jet fuel rules out a Jerry can, although for different reasons that excludes a letter box.

The way this question was posted, my old English teacher some 50 years ago would have said "that hit the Vat the lid into the face".. We have enough Information to advise the opener to contact someone who knows what has to be done, in short, call an exper. In Canada I would call Transport Canada. They will ask the right questions and have a solution.

trpmb6

Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 pm

amishfarmer wrote:
I'm looking at this from a security standpoint...are you trying to learn how to transport fuel for nefarious reasons?
Otherwise, go to your local transportation office and ask them how to do it.

Yeah I generally try to keep an open mind but when i see a post from someone with only one or two posts asking questions like this I always get suspicious.

But, other contributors have a good point. This is likely someone in the bush somewhere far away from normal servicing routes. Probably had to land somewhere very rural, or is planning on establishing a new route to a rural mine or something. Needs to be able to get fuel there to fly out.

At least that's what I am hoping.

amishfarmer

Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 pm

trpmb6 wrote:

Yeah I generally try to keep an open mind but when i see a post from someone with only one or two posts asking questions like this I always get suspicious.

But, other contributors have a good point. This is likely someone in the bush somewhere far away from normal servicing routes. Probably had to land somewhere very rural, or is planning on establishing a new route to a rural mine or something. Needs to be able to get fuel there to fly out.

At least that's what I am hoping.

Yes, I hope so too, but why go to a forum to answer a question like this. Yes there is a lot of good info and knowledge to be learned, but the best place for anything technical and transporting is the source. Because, as most of us know, there is alot of disinformation on the internet as well....asking about how to move jet fuel, a lot of Jet fuel, and not just going to a governing authority made me wonder right off the bat.
If it's that remote, tanker the fuel in so you have enough to fly out to the nearest suitable airport, or make space to carry the fuel on the aircraft if possible and refuel at the remote location...or find a different way altogether.

PatrickZ80

Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:18 pm

Keep in mind that not all jet fuel is transported in trailers. Here in the Netherlands we have a fuel pipe from the Rotterdam harbour where the refineries are located to Amsterdam Airport. Fuel for Dusseldorf, Cologne-Bonn, Frankfurt and even Zurich goes on tanker boats up the river Rhine.

PanHAM

Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:29 am

Basel is the final port for Ships on the Rhine river.