tomcoppins
Topic Author

Jet2 B737 with Airbridge written on the nose

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:36 pm

I have noticed that Jet2 in the UK has painted a vertical dotted line with the word airbridge down the side of the fuselage on their 738's just behind cockpit windows. I have never seen this on any other carrier or airline. Anyone know why?

CarbonFibre

Re: Jet2 B737 with Airbridge written on the nose

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 pm

They've obviously had problems with jetty alignment in the past.

seemyseems

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:57 pm

It’s a guideline for airbridge operators to ensure that the bridgehead is in line for passengers.

I’ve seen similar guidelines added to the hold doors of LS and FR aircraft, it highlights the door edge in low light
seemyseems in ATL

HotelWhiskey

Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:08 pm

Looks like this:

B777LRF

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:04 pm

At a (qualified) guess. They had an incident, did a risk assessment, and some pimpled youth who've never worked outside an office could prove, using the risk matrix and nothing else, that painting a dotted line forward of the door would seriously reduce the risk.

'ollocks!
Signature. You just read one.

wn676

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:38 pm

B777LRF wrote:
At a (qualified) guess. They had an incident, did a risk assessment, and some pimpled youth who've never worked outside an office could prove, using the risk matrix and nothing else, that painting a dotted line forward of the door would seriously reduce the risk.

'ollocks!

It looks ridiculous, but unless you were in the room when the risk assessment was conducted, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge the process. There are plenty of individuals conducting these who have spent years and even decades out on the line, actually in the operation, who are more than qualified in their positions. And no one person will ever look at a risk matrix and unilaterally change a process, at least in a legitimate safety department.

This is definitely one of the more obvious indicators for jetbridge placement, but for an airline that I presume operates in many different countries with different ground handling vendors, it makes sense. Some airlines will paint small black dots or stripes underneath the sill that correspond to a mark on the cab bumper, but if you don’t control your own facilities or if you operate predominately in a common-use environment, that can be hard to manage.

Or we can just go back to assuming that it’s just a training issue, and continue to rip off AOA vanes.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

rbavfan

Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:45 pm

wn676 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

'ollocks!

It looks ridiculous, but unless you were in the room when the risk assessment was conducted, I wouldn’t be so quick to judge the process. There are plenty of individuals conducting these who have spent years and even decades out on the line, actually in the operation, who are more than qualified in their positions. And no one person will ever look at a risk matrix and unilaterally change a process, at least in a legitimate safety department.

This is definitely one of the more obvious indicators for jetbridge placement, but for an airline that I presume operates in many different countries with different ground handling vendors, it makes sense. Some airlines will paint small black dots or stripes underneath the sill that correspond to a mark on the cab bumper, but if you don’t control your own facilities or if you operate predominately in a common-use environment, that can be hard to manage.

Or we can just go back to assuming that it’s just a training issue, and continue to rip off AOA vanes.

While that is true. If this was a widespread problem you would see it on every plane. It looks kinda tacky on the fuselage.

wn676

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:14 pm

rbavfan wrote:
wn676 wrote:
B777LRF wrote:

'ollocks!

While that is true. If this was a widespread problem you would see it on every plane. It looks kinda tacky on the fuselage.

Every airline and fleet type has its own unique challenges and procedures, hence why it’s important to run through the process and develop a solution that works for that particular operation.

To the point of being a widespread problem, look closely at the left-side boarding doors for most airlines, and you’ll find some kind of mark to ensure proper bridge alignment, usually below the sill.

The giant dashed line does look tacky though.
Tiny, unreadable text leaves ample room for interpretation.

XAM2175

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:34 pm

rbavfan wrote:

Is it all that different from airlines like UA putting "ETOPS" on nose-gear doors, or a great number of airlines repeating the fleet number or a part of the registration on the vertical stabiliser and/or above the cockpit windows?

I remember a post here complaining that Taiwanese carriers repeated the entire registration mark just behind the forward doors and that it looked ridiculous - even after it was pointed out that, while yes it wasn't the best look, it was a requirement imposed by Taiwanese law.

Different carriers have different operational and regulatory circumstances, and they develop different responses to deal with them.

Wacker1000

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:29 pm

B777LRF wrote:

Yet the lazy and disgruntled employee responsible for operating the jet bridge still gets it wrong all while grumbling about how much they dislike their CEO and how they shouldn't have to leave their seat in front of the break room TV! ;)

GaryDay

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Recently flew from STN to ACE on G-JZHZ (also named Jet2 Lanzarote). This had the airbridge dashes behind the cockpit windows but we departed from a remote stand and parked on a remote stand at ACE too. Ironic!!!!!

e38

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 pm

Quoting seemyseems (Reply # 3), "It’s a guideline for airbridge operators to ensure that the bridgehead is in line for passengers."

In addition to proper alignment of the jetway with the aircraft door, the stripe also seems to highlight the position of the RAT probe. If you follow the stripe down, it also aligns with the probe. I realize the RAT probe is considerably lower than the bottom of the door, but many jetways have different designs and some have either ground power receptacles or environmental controls on the left side.
I would guess they have had some damage to the RAT probe from coming in contact with the jetway. That can be an expensive repair.

I think it looks just fine.

e38

Starlionblue

Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:40 am

e38 wrote:
Quoting seemyseems (Reply # 3), "It’s a guideline for airbridge operators to ensure that the bridgehead is in line for passengers."

In addition to proper alignment of the jetway with the aircraft door, the stripe also seems to highlight the position of the RAT probe. If you follow the stripe down, it also aligns with the probe. I realize the RAT probe is considerably lower than the bottom of the door, but many jetways have different designs and some have either ground power receptacles or environmental controls on the left side.
I would guess they have had some damage to the RAT probe from coming in contact with the jetway. That can be an expensive repair.

I think it looks just fine.

e38

Do you mean the TAT probe? But yes, you don't want to bump into that.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

e38

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:58 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply #13), "Do you mean the TAT probe?"

Yes, the Total Air Temperature (TAT) probe.

At the company at which I work, the flightcrews more commonly refer to this probe as the Ram Air Temperature (RAT) probe, but I think TAT is technically correct.

I apologize for the incorrect information I provided in Reply # 12.

e38

Starlionblue

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:43 am

e38 wrote:
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply #13), "Do you mean the TAT probe?"

Yes, the Total Air Temperature (TAT) probe.

At the company at which I work, the flightcrews more commonly refer to this probe as the Ram Air Temperature (RAT) probe, but I think TAT is technically correct.

I apologize for the incorrect information I provided in Reply # 12.

e38

Ram Air Temperature probe does make sense actually. I had just never heard one called that.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

FrmrKSEngr

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:09 am

Kulula did it best with "Flying 101" https://www.kulula.com/flights/fleet/gallery

FrmrKSEngr

Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:49 am

Flying 101 (Finally figured out how to embed a photo)

jumpseat

Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:28 pm

"If it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid"

It does look seriously tacky though.

HAWKXP

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:58 am

ANY thing that improves safety takes PRECEDENCE over visual.