Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

papahotel
Topic Author

Aircrafts that didn't fly for some time

Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:06 am

Dear ladies and gentleman, good day.

Can you please direct me toward some site (not EASA/FAA, but some site that has a little bit more "amateur" approach) on topic of getting aircraft that didn't fly for several years airborne again?
For example, we have a Cessna 172 that made it's last flight 5 years ago and now it' sitting in front of the hangar and you get it for a good price. Is it even possible to get it airborne (ofcourse, let's say that everything is on aircraft, nothing is removed or crushed)?

Thank you very much!
Kind regards to all,

AirKevin

Re: Aircrafts that didn't fly for some time

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:40 pm

Depending on the condition, you can certainly get it airworthy again, but of course, you'd have to perform the necessary maintenance checks to make sure everything was in order.

Francoflier

Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:58 pm

If it is legal to fly (which assumes that all the necessary paperwork and required regular maintenance is done), then you can technically get it airborne...
But in that case you'd want to give it to a licensed mechanic to give it a good thourough inspection beforehand.
All systems should be tested, fluids should be renewed, rubbers and seals should be checked, flight controls tested, structure checked for corrosion, etc.

Just give it to a pro, he'll know what to do...
There are risks not worth taking.

trpmb6

Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:00 pm

There is no amateur answer to getting an aircraft like a Cessna 172 airborne. There are some experimental aircraft certificates for small kit planes that are home built, among others.

You have to follow it by the book. And by the book is usually best if done by the right people - not amateur's with little to no experience in the field. I mean no offense. It's a safety issue for anyone flying it, today and in the future (should it be sold to a third party) as well as those on the ground.

Getting it to a licensed mechanic will save you far more time and money. Get it done right the first time. May even end up saving you money on things that you may have thought needed to be changed but didn't for example.

fr8mech

Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:30 pm

My suspicion is that, at a minimum, an annual inspection, as defined in the FAR's, completed by an appropriately certified mechanic (A&P with IA, in the US).

I think that an AD search is completed as part of the annual inspection. Needless to say, any discrepancies found need to be addressed and any mandatory AD's not accomplished need to be accomplished.

As for finding that information outside of a regulatory website, or manufacturers' website...I'm sure you can find something via a Google search, but in the end, it's the regulatory authority that should concern you.

Don't try an "amateur approach" to a professional and legal issue.

papahotel
Topic Author

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 am

Thank you for your answers, my question was pointed on where to begin on searching the conditions to get that kind of aircraft airborne again, I guess it will be EASA after all.
There's no amateurism in this story, only licenced and experienced tech's will give final word.

Thank you!

KanaHawaii

Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:05 pm

My father was one of those A&P mechanics that was asked to get planes back in the air after being in storage. Literally put, the airplane has to have its paperwork in order first. So amount of hours since last check, engine life, etc. etc. has to be in order and proper, for lack of a better term. If the plane is in need of work and inspection before it takes flight, than that must be performed and signed off by an officially licensed shop. Depending on whether the plane has been de-registered (due to long term storage and being taken off the books of the previous operator) that must be done also prior to flight. Some planes are in such a condition that it becomes economically unforeseeable to do the necessary repairs. And then there are some who do dump in that money and put's older planes back in the air. As mentioned to my father one time at one of these repair stations, love does not make the world go round, it's money and they needed a payment to continue working on the plane my father was helping a new start-up get.

747Whale

Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 am

One of the hardest things on aircraft is for them to sit; it's rougher on an airplane.

Aircraft that sit for extended periods often come up with all kinds of issues from fuel bladders to bad instrument bearings to corrosion on engine parts with an acid buildup. Birds build nests, canopies craze, tires check and fail, wheel bearings rust, etc.

Be careful about aircraft that have been sitting for an extended period, whether properly stored, or not.

sierrakilo44

Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 am

As a point, a pet peeve of mine,

The plural of “aircraft” is “aircraft”, not “aircrafts”.

“There are 4 aircraft at the holding point”

“There are 4 aircrafts at the holding point”

See the difference?

airxliban

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm

If the plane is not airworthy you have to contact the local FSDO to get a ferry permit, I think. Said permit would allow you to fly the aircraft with some less than airworthy condition to the nearest location where it could be fixed. I think that's the procedure...in the US anyway. How you would do that or what is acceptable...not sure.

stratclub

Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:36 am

It would still have to be airworthy within the requirements of the ferry permit with possible severe limitations on speed and altitude.

Apprentice

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:35 am

papahotel wrote:
Dear ladies and gentleman, good day.

Can you please direct me toward some site (not EASA/FAA, but some site that has a little bit more "amateur" approach) on topic of getting aircraft that didn't fly for several years airborne again?
For example, we have a Cessna 172 that made it's last flight 5 years ago and now it' sitting in front of the hangar and you get it for a good price. Is it even possible to get it airborne (ofcourse, let's say that everything is on aircraft, nothing is removed or E valid
Thank you very much!
Kind regards to all,

Hi: First paperwork, Log Book, must important but not the one.
Check for any open item since last Check, for any part removed...
Check when Last Annual Check and 100 hours Check were performed. Perform if they are necessary or near. If not, a good check , including engine’s oil and fuel filter are desirable
Look at authority webpage all AD that are a must, check compliance
Look at engine, aircraft, equipments manufacturers and look for SB, decide which ones are deseable and perform then.
Get a serious A/P with IA license and made them to check your plane.
Check for proper Airworthiness Certificate and it to valid.
Before first flight, it will be nice to have a paperwork check by regulator’s Inspector

More / Less...
Rgds

Apprentice

Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 am

Sorry. Airworthines Certificate: Check for validity