Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

QXAS
Topic Author

Embraer 175 strobe lights

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 am

Hi folks,
Last weekend I had the privilege of taking my first flight on an enhanced E175 (SEA-DAL, OO). I’ve flown several flights on the base version of the aircraft and it got me wondering some things about the strobe lights.
1: Why are the lights not synchronized (leading/trailing edge) on the original version but they are on the enhanced?
2: Is the Ejet family the only common aircraft where you can see the strobes flashing from the cabin?
3: Are the flashing strobe lights visible at night from the cockpit in peripheral vision and what effects would that have?
4: Do the strobe lights serve as an annoyance to passengers on night flights when people leave window shades open? (I’ve been guilty of this on a couple of CP flights)

JoKeR

Re: Embraer 175 strobe lights

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:45 am

If memory serves me well the same was the case on A310-300s... perhaps even on A300-600s...

mjgbtv

Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:09 pm

QXAS wrote:
4: Do the strobe lights serve as an annoyance to passengers on night flights when people leave window shades open? (I’ve been guilty of this on a couple of CP flights)

I can't answer the others, but I have been on several E-Jet night flights and I have never been annoyed by the strobes (or even noticed a difference in the interior) I usually look outside and I haven't found even that to be bothersome. Maybe it's something about the short duration of the flash...

77H

Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:11 pm

mjgbtv wrote:
QXAS wrote:

I can't answer the others, but I have been on several E-Jet night flights and I have never been annoyed by the strobes (or even noticed a difference in the interior) I usually look outside and I haven't found even that to be bothersome. Maybe it's something about the short duration of the flash...

I too find the strobes on the upgraded winglets of the E175 to be extremely annoying as well and I have seen them light up the whole cabin on night flights. Not sure why Embraer didn't make the inboard portion on the light fixture opaque, block it with a small metal strip of position it to where it only flashes outward where it is needed. To be honest, and I may be in the minority, I find the new "enhanced" winglets to be hideous altogether.

77H

trijetsonly

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:11 pm

The strobes are easily visible from the cabin on A320-series aircraft with sharklets. But somehow they never annoyed me.

See the little triangular glass on the leading edge of the Sharklet. That's where the strobes are.

battlegroup62

Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:49 pm

The reason they are not synchronized on the original ejet is that the strobe power supply and lighting is designed with capacitors and xenon strobe bulbs whereas the enhanced ejet has led strobes controlled by printed circuit boards.

You can't see the lights themselves from the cockpit without trying to but on the ground the reflection will be visible.

shamrock137

Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:42 pm

QXAS wrote:
Hi folks,
Last weekend I had the privilege of taking my first flight on an enhanced E175 (SEA-DAL, OO). I’ve flown several flights on the base version of the aircraft and it got me wondering some things about the strobe lights.
1: Why are the lights not synchronized (leading/trailing edge) on the original version but they are on the enhanced?
2: Is the Ejet family the only common aircraft where you can see the strobes flashing from the cabin?
3: Are the flashing strobe lights visible at night from the cockpit in peripheral vision and what effects would that have?

2: Most you can see a little at night, I cant think of any that are as visible as the E170-190 family. One other post mentioned the A310, never flown on one, but I'd agree.
3: No, not usually. I know that part of the modification on the A320 family when winglets were added caused issues. The redesign of the wingtip strobe into the winglet raised it up and it was visible from the flight deck. They've been modified since and on some early ones you can see a black stripe that was added to block the light.