Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ruddman
Topic Author

B200 King Air engine longevity question.

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:04 pm

Non pilot but a King Air B200 fan. Lived close to an airport that often had the RFDS B200 fly low over head many a time after takeoff. Sexy aircraft.
Purely from an interested persons sake is the basis for these questions.

Spoke to someone once who told me at ISA+20 with normal cruise TQ, a brand new -42 would have an ITT of around the 740 range (i guess even new engines vary?.). And he said that over time the ITT would steadily increase for the same TQ setting. (If at ISA temps, is the ITT a lot lower? )

I was just curious how much over the normal cycle (3600 hours) it would increase for the same power settings?
Because some I’ve read have programs that allows the engines to go to 5000 hours (Oz) and other places 8000 hours.
Wouldn’t the engine be pretty thrashed by then?
Or if following manufactures recommend power settings, the ITT is still acceptable?
Does it get near the the 770 max for normal cruise nearing its TBO?

Questions questions questions. He he. Any help greatly appreciated. I don’t sleep at night thinking about this. :p

kabq737

Re: B200 King Air engine longevity question.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:59 am

The questions are great! Unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to answer them as my only knowledge of the B200 is of one that uses upgraded engines and I’m not sure if those would have the same numbers as the stock ones...sorry about that!

FlyHossD

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:05 am

Ruddman wrote:
Non pilot but a King Air B200 fan. Lived close to an airport that often had the RFDS B200 fly low over head many a time after takeoff. Sexy aircraft.
Purely from an interested persons sake is the basis for these questions.

Spoke to someone once who told me at ISA+20 with normal cruise TQ, a brand new -42 would have an ITT of around the 740 range (i guess even new engines vary?.). And he said that over time the ITT would steadily increase for the same TQ setting. (If at ISA temps, is the ITT a lot lower? )

I was just curious how much over the normal cycle (3600 hours) it would increase for the same power settings?
Because some I’ve read have programs that allows the engines to go to 5000 hours (Oz) and other places 8000 hours.
Wouldn’t the engine be pretty thrashed by then?
Or if following manufactures recommend power settings, the ITT is still acceptable?
Does it get near the the 770 max for normal cruise nearing its TBO?

Questions questions questions. He he. Any help greatly appreciated. I don’t sleep at night thinking about this. :p

Yes, even new engines vary in temperature/ITT, but I often wondered if that was a variance in the engines and/or maybe a variance in the measurement system including the gauges. Over time (years), the steady state cruise ITTs do tend to increase. We used a paper log to record engine parameters - maintenance would get excited when a sudden dramatic change was logged, but that always seem to be part of the measurement system like when an ITT probe burned out.

Yes, warmer outside air does produce slightly higher ITTs, but outside air temps at cruise tend to be cool anyway. A cold winter day is probably the best way to illustrate the effect of colder than common air (I remember showing just that to a new captain many years ago). I can't remember ever having a 200 or B200 have an issue with ITTs limiting power (Great Lakes and NE US Seaboard).

Ruddman
Topic Author

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:51 pm

Ok thank you very much.
From some reason I was curious as to how long these engines will last and still give the expected performance.

That helped with some questions I had. Again thank you.

LH707330

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:06 pm

The reason the ITT gets higher over time is that the pilots want a steady output from the engines. As the engines degrade (blade erosion, worse gap sealing, etc.), they need to be run at a higher setting to get the same output, which is why the ITT goes up.