Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Redifier
Topic Author

A&P certification/license for Engineers helpful?

Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi all, I just wanted to know if it has any benefits to study and get a license for A&P even if you have an engineering degree. I recently graduated from mechanical engineering and wants to pursue a career in aviation in the united states. Unfortunately, I do not have any experience yet and my internship was from another country and is not related to aviation whatsoever. I'm deciding whether to study A&P and hoping It can help me enter the aviation industry and land me an engineering job. Will it help me in anyway? Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

Andre3K

Re: A&P certification/license for Engineers helpful?

Thu Aug 02, 2018 12:46 am

If you work for a company like Lockheed or Northrup Grumman then I would say don't bother. But when you get involved in anything civilian like Boeing or Textron it might not be a bad idea to have one. What aspect of aviation are you looking to get into?

Redifier
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:13 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. I'm interested on applying for commercial planes like boeing etc. Although lockheed martin and such wouldn't be a bad idea aswell. Do you have any suggestions for me to be able to land a good chance of getting into one. I saw some forums saying that the A&P wouldn't matter given the things at stake such as the time and money to get them and would really much help me in getting that job. Thanks

Andre3K

Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:05 am

Well as long as you don't have limitations on where you will live there are plenty of opportunities at Lockheed Martin. We are in a constant state of hiring between here in Marietta and Fort Worth. Just apply at http://search.lockheedmartinjobs.com/

As for the A&P, it's really only useful if you are literally turning wrenches on civilian aircraft. As an engineer you won't typically be doing that.

Redifier
Topic Author

Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:00 am

Thank You for your response Andre3K. I'd really be glad if I get accepted.

stratclub

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:02 am

The Triad I wish I had been able to pursued would have been an engineering degree, and an FAA rating of A&P mechanic and pilot.

gtae07

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 am

Having an A&P would be a nice resume booster for an engineer, and might distinguish you enough to get certain positions (if the hiring manager values practical experience). However, it's certainly not a requirement. If I had to guess, at my employer (civil aircraft manufacturer) only 1% or so of the engineers are actual A&Ps; my department is disproportionately heavy with them because we work in-service support instead of new product design. A few more like myself have some light airplane experience with homebuilts, but that's about it.

I would encourage you, though, to still try to get some practical/hands-on experience with something, whether it's airplanes, or cars, or boats, or construction, or whatever. And try to build up a good relationship with the guys on the floor wherever you work. You'll learn things and it'll make you a better engineer. Too many engineers think their fecal matter does not have an offensive odor because they have a fancy expensive piece of paper and don't get their hands dirty; don't be that guy.

You might find that your future employer will cover the costs of getting your A&P. Mine will, and they even promoted the chance to do so in partnership with a local tech college. However, the catch is that the school's A&P program is extremely rigid thanks to the FAA policy on how such schools will be run, and the only way to go through the program is to take a full course load Monday to Friday, 8 to 5. There's no option for part-time classes, no option for night classes, and the FAA has no option for auditing/testing-out of material. You have to physically account for every hour of class. And the industry wonders why there's a shortage of new A&Ps :roll:

Lpbri

Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Another thing, is there an A&P school near you? Many have discontinued theirs because airlines aren't hiring much. As was said before, you're looking at 2 years to get one, plus tuition, tools, etc. In any case, an engineering manager probably doesn't know what an A&P is. Plus, much of what they teach is irrelevant today.

stratclub

Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:37 pm

Lpbri wrote:
Plus, much of what they teach is irrelevant today.

That was true 4o years ago, as well. However, having an A&P gives you the authority to perform and log book sign off minor repairs, alterations and maintenance.

WPvsMW

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:34 pm

One more reason to get an A&P (AMT): great plan B, with airline perks (valuable if you like to travel).
Get it while you're in school, full-time. Don't wait.
Is fixing things in your genes? Do you wrench now, e.g. cars, motorcycles, bicycles? If not, you may not like an A&P job.
As I tell my students, travel to places where you are a non-native speaker is a non-credit course in common sense.