Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

quangnguyen
Topic Author

Question about aircraft maintenance engineer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:24 am

I am new trainee of Mechanic Trainee Program in an airline and I wondering about the relationship between MCC (maintenance control center) and Technician Service Engineer in term of the scope and licence ?
Thanks for everyone

fr8mech

Re: Question about aircraft maintenance engineer

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Not sure what a Technician Service Engineer is. I’ll assume you’re referring to an AMT or AME. Basically, here at my operator, a US Part 121 Carrier, the AMT and the folks at Maintenance Control carry the same licenses and certifications. Experience is probably the differentiating factor. The guys at MCC should have more experience and basic knowledge, but doesn’t always work out that way, especially in a union environment where seniority is king.

strfyr51

Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:49 am

I was a Maintenance controller for United from 1999-2017 and retired from Chicago, Formerly I was a Line foreman at SFO and a line mechanic before that. What we did in maintenance control was consult with pilots who had an inflight problem or at a line station where United Mechanics were not. We many times had to work with contracted Mechanics and sometimes line mechanics from other airlines. We told them what the problem was, We sent them paperwork and tests to verify the problem and then we would arrange parts or equipment to fix said problem. Then work with them to sign off the problem as we had no log books. We also had to release the airplane when the work was complete (Maintenance release)...
We were also responsible for Maintenance Ferry flights (including B747 ferry flights with an engine out.) Test flights coming out of overhaul. and lastly, ferry flights for airplanes being delivered TO United (like the China Southern A319's and A320's that came to United) needless to say? We had a very eventful shift on most days so it was a REAL pleasure when we had only to arrange a blown tire change. during a shift. we also were responsible for Emergency Field service calls for mechanics to go and fix broken airplanes when we determined it was beyond the capability of the FBO operator. I once sent a crew to Dubai to fix a B777 engine problem because I was the only one on shift that had the authority. We worked specific fleets but as a senior controller? I had worked A320,A319, B737, B757,B767 and B747. My primary job though was the A320,and A319 the rest were Great for Overtime but I had plenty of overtime on My OWN desk as not many guys were into the A320/A319's. You could get burned out really easy if you worked all the overtime offered. And after 4 12 hour shifts in a week? You were tired enough because the next week you were going to have to do it on the opposite shift (6a-6p. then 6p to 6a) 4 on 5 off. We had a damn good crew and everybody looked out for each other. when the phome rang? You picked it up and you NEVER knew what nor WHO was on the other END! So you had ti be and stay sharp!

Balerit

Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:32 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
I was a Maintenance controller for United from 1999-2017 and retired from Chicago, Formerly I was a Line foreman at SFO and a line mechanic before that. What we did in maintenance control was consult with pilots who had an inflight problem or at a line station where United Mechanics were not. We many times had to work with contracted Mechanics and sometimes line mechanics from other airlines. We told them what the problem was, We sent them paperwork and tests to verify the problem and then we would arrange parts or equipment to fix said problem. Then work with them to sign off the problem as we had no log books. We also had to release the airplane when the work was complete (Maintenance release)...
We were also responsible for Maintenance Ferry flights (including B747 ferry flights with an engine out.) Test flights coming out of overhaul. and lastly, ferry flights for airplanes being delivered TO United (like the China Southern A319's and A320's that came to United) needless to say? We had a very eventful shift on most days so it was a REAL pleasure when we had only to arrange a blown tire change. during a shift. we also were responsible for Emergency Field service calls for mechanics to go and fix broken airplanes when we determined it was beyond the capability of the FBO operator. I once sent a crew to Dubai to fix a B777 engine problem because I was the only one on shift that had the authority. We worked specific fleets but as a senior controller? I had worked A320,A319, B737, B757,B767 and B747. My primary job though was the A320,and A319 the rest were Great for Overtime but I had plenty of overtime on My OWN desk as not many guys were into the A320/A319's. You could get burned out really easy if you worked all the overtime offered. And after 4 12 hour shifts in a week? You were tired enough because the next week you were going to have to do it on the opposite shift (6a-6p. then 6p to 6a) 4 on 5 off. We had a damn good crew and everybody looked out for each other. when the phome rang? You picked it up and you NEVER knew what nor WHO was on the other END! So you had ti be and stay sharp!

Great post.

stratosphere

Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:48 am

fr8mech wrote:
Not sure what a Technician Service Engineer is. I’ll assume you’re referring to an AMT or AME. Basically, here at my operator, a US Part 121 Carrier, the AMT and the folks at Maintenance Control carry the same licenses and certifications. Experience is probably the differentiating factor. The guys at MCC should have more experience and basic knowledge, but doesn’t always work out that way, especially in a union environment where seniority is king.

I wish all AMT's could do a stint in maintenance control it might change a few of their attitudes. There is a lot more going on there than most AMT's know. I was a line mechanic for NW for almost 20 years was a maintenance controller at my current company for 11 years and have left there to go to QA a few years ago. But you're right sometimes they can't get the most seasoned guys into maintenance control for various reasons. But I have seen even some of the guys who didn't have the background be really good controllers you have to be good at multi tasking and knowing where to find information you can always pick the brain of your fellow controllers if you get jammed up. You of all people know you can be in the maintenance biz for 30+ years and see things you never saw before.

fr8mech

Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:33 am

stratosphere wrote:
I wish all AMT's could do a stint in maintenance control it might change a few of their attitudes. There is a lot more going on there than most AMT's know. I was a line mechanic for NW for almost 20 years was a maintenance controller at my current company for 11 years and have left there to go to QA a few years ago. But you're right sometimes they can't get the most seasoned guys into maintenance control for various reasons. But I have seen even some of the guys who didn't have the background be really good controllers you have to be good at multi tasking and knowing where to find information you can always pick the brain of your fellow controllers if you get jammed up. You of all people know you can be in the maintenance biz for 30+ years and see things you never saw before.

Please, don't misunderstand me, I have nothing but support and admiration for the folks in Maintenance Control. Being in Technical Support, I work with those guys every night trying to get aircraft moving, and keeping them moving...and, more importantly, stopping them from moving when appropriate.

Having experience and knowledge is a major asset in maintenance control, but, to tell you the truth, I'll take someone with a nimble mind, situational awareness, and a willingness to listen over a "know-it-all" type controller.

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:15 pm

stratosphere wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I wish all airline employees would do 6 months as a CSA or ramper as their work probation...

Signed,
A US4 CSA

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:16 pm

stratosphere wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

I wish all airline employees would do 6 months as a CSA or ramper as their work probation...

Signed,
A US4 CSA

stratosphere

Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:34 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
stratosphere wrote:
fr8mech wrote:

Signed,
A US4 CSA

I did that too I did a year as a ramper before I got my A@P and moved to aircraft maintenance.