Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Estop
Topic Author

Flashing FA call lights? A321

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:15 am

On an American A231S today I noticed something unusual (at least to my un-knowledgeable eye) about the FA call lights I am hoping someone can explain. At the gate, most of the FA call lights were solid, but the call lights above several rows were flashing. All of the affected rows were on the starboard side, but there didn't seem to be a pattern or unique location (e.g. none were exit rows, there were a bunch near the middle but only one near the back). When the cabin lights were turned off, the affected call lights turned solid while the rest turned off. At some point, though I didn't notice when, the affected lights turned off as well. Similar behavior occurred after landing as well.

Can anyone explain? Apologies if its a silly question.
Last edited by atcsundevil on Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

airman99o

Re: Flashing FA call lights? A231

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:45 pm

As with airbus that i used to work on. When the boarding door is open all the passenger call lights come on solid. if one happens to be pushed prior to door open the light will stay on, when door is opened it will start to flash as all other lights will go on. making it easier for FA's to spot said passenger call

Apprentice

Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:35 am

Hi: Much probably a Malfunction of some part of pax entertainment system.
Pax Entertainment System take care of:
-video signal transmision - reception for each pax
- audio signal for selected video channel
- audio system for music
- reading light...
System was introduced with Wide planes, to economizied weight, using less cable
( Multiplexing).
When, for example, a Pax Audio Selector is inop or a cable is loose (pax shoes!!), part of the sistem (part of the row)become inop, and give a flashing information.
Rgds

alasizon

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Hi: Much probably a Malfunction of some part of pax entertainment system.
Pax Entertainment System take care of:
-video signal transmision - reception for each pax
- audio signal for selected video channel
- audio system for music
- reading light...
System was introduced with Wide planes, to economizied weight, using less cable
( Multiplexing).
When, for example, a Pax Audio Selector is inop or a cable is loose (pax shoes!!), part of the sistem (part of the row)become inop, and give a flashing information.
Rgds

Not even close. On 321s for AA, when the door is open, all call lights are solid, if someone presses one, it flashes so that FAs can identify who pressed a call button.

airman99o wrote:
As with airbus that i used to work on. When the boarding door is open all the passenger call lights come on solid. if one happens to be pushed prior to door open the light will stay on, when door is opened it will start to flash as all other lights will go on. making it easier for FA's to spot said passenger call

I'm pretty sure this is standard, I've never seen an A320 series aircraft not do it.

Estop
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:10 pm

airman99o wrote:

These weren't calls, though. I did observe one pax use the call button and the FA responded. But the lights I'm asking about all illuminated/flashed/extinguished at the same point and without any human interaction.

FARmd90

Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:01 pm

Estop wrote:
airman99o wrote:

These weren't calls, though. I did observe one pax use the call button and the FA responded. But the lights I'm asking about all illuminated/flashed/extinguished at the same point and without any human interaction.

This is stander for the Airbus to do what has been described above. Call light come on when door is opened and of pressed start to flash. And call lights turn off when door is closed and those that were presses turn solid.
The call lights that were flashing on your flight were probably pressed by a passenger or a FA from the inbound by accident or to show where extra cleaning might be required. And the new crew probably didn’t care enough to press the buttons again to reset them or forgot to.

Apprentice

Re: Flashing FA call lights? A321

Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:26 pm

Good Morning. Do You remember the light’s color?
It have differents one depend who is calling, crew, Main Purser, Another FA, or a Pax

Rgds

AA321T

Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:40 am

Estop wrote:
airman99o wrote:

You can activate the call light on the AA Airbuses from the IFE screen (or they could have been left over from the previous flight) and the FA can reset the call lights from the FA control panel by 1L.

Everyone is correct in that the flashing occurs when all the lights illuminate when the boarding door is open.