Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

yonikasz
Topic Author

How are UPS/Fedex pilots scheduled?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:40 am

I know that UPS and Fedex each have some small hubs besides their main hubs in Louisville and Memphis respectively. But the majority of their flying seems to be at night from pretty much everywhere in the US converging on their megahubs. And the opposite when the sort is complete. They also have some international routes too? How do their crew bases work?

SierraPacific

Re: How are UPS/Fedex pilots scheduled?

Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:52 am

They have bases throughout The US (FedEx has international bases as well like HKG). It is the same as a pax airline when it comes to bidding and surprisingly freight airlines have a large amount of day flying that goes extremely senior but is still accessible. The trip variety cannot be beaten with everything between 2 weeks to cross the globe in a 777 or going from Memphis to Atlanta a couple of times a month in a 757. Both airlines have long-haul flying around the world and have some of the longest routes flown by US airlines (HKG-MEM for example). From pilots, I have met from the big cargo carriers, the job isn't too different besides flying into a sort rather than flying into a crowded terminal.

Source shadowed FedEx 777 captain for school project

yonikasz
Topic Author

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:42 am

SierraPacific wrote:

How were you able to shadow a FedEx pilot? Are you friends with one or did you contact FedEx or did your school set you up with one? Also did you fly with him? This is so cool. I am majoring in supply chain management and this is so up my alley. I assume this was for college?

SierraPacific

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:52 am

yonikasz wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

How were you able to shadow a FedEx pilot? Are you friends with one or did you contact FedEx or did your school set you up with one? Also did you fly with him? This is so cool. I am majoring in supply chain management and this is so up my alley. I assume this was for college?

It was actually for high school. He is the dad of one of my good buddies so when our senior project popped up where we followed a person in a career we wanted to pursue so it was an obvious choice. I sat with him while he bidded trips for his month (He went on a 2 week trip around the world with stops in Dubai and Hong Kong which is so cool but anyways lol) and talked to him about his experiences in his career path from the US Air Force Academy to flying the A300, MD 11, and now the 777. I was not able to follow him for work since everything with Fedex is extremly tight nit and flying on a cargo aircraft is a no go for anyone that is not on the crew.

flapsdown40

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:10 am

SierraPacific wrote:
yonikasz wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

It was actually for high school. He is the dad of one of my good buddies so when our senior project popped up where we followed a person in a career we wanted to pursue so it was an obvious choice. I sat with him while he bidded trips for his month (He went on a 2 week trip around the world with stops in Dubai and Hong Kong which is so cool but anyways lol) and talked to him about his experiences in his career path from the US Air Force Academy to flying the A300, MD 11, and now the 777. I was not able to follow him for work since everything with Fedex is extremly tight nit and flying on a cargo aircraft is a no go for anyone that is not on the crew.

Years ago, way before 9/11, I knew a Fedex driver who was able to fly jump seat on one of their freighters from LAX to MEM and back. Is this no longer allowed?

SierraPacific

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:13 am

flapsdown40 wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:
yonikasz wrote:

Years ago, way before 9/11, I knew a Fedex driver who was able to fly jump seat on one of their freighters from LAX to MEM and back. Is this no longer allowed?

It is not sadly. Domestic is limited to only people that could sit in a regular airline jumpseat and the international stuff allows zero jumpseating for anyone.

WildcatYXU

Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:45 am

SierraPacific wrote:
flapsdown40 wrote:

It is not sadly. Domestic is limited to only people that could sit in a regular airline jumpseat and the international stuff allows zero jumpseating for anyone.

So Chuck Noland couldn't end up alone on an island now?

yonikasz
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:05 am

Probably stricter policies after the Auburn Calloway incident. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_E ... Flight_705

Woodreau

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:32 am

You just call FedEx or ups and get your name added to the crew list after you figure out what flight you want to take by looking up the flight schedule. You are assigned a show time and you report with the operating crew.