mia
Topic Author

How does catering work at isolated airports?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:33 pm

So I was in MSY this weekend and I saw the DE 767 and the BA 787. How do these airlines cater the flights? Do they truck in the catering from IAH? Do they fly the food in as cargo?
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

jetmatt777

Re: How does catering work at isolated airports?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:42 pm

For flights that are too long to round trip cater, they would work with the local flight kitchen.
If there isn’t one they would work with a local catering company.

If the flight is short enough, they will just do round trip catering. So DEN will load 2 flights worth of provisioning for a DEN-TUL-DEN flight, for example.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

mia
Topic Author

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:43 pm

Does MSY have local catering?
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

daumueller

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:45 pm

how is MSY an isolated airport?
lots of catering options available, gate gourmet for example

1337Delta764

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:50 pm

I know after LSG Sky Chefs closed its ABQ kitchen, a local vendor catered the F cabin for AA. I'm not sure if this is still being done since the US Airways merger.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

northstardc4m

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 pm

Well I know for Jazz's Dash 8 services to outstations drinks are catered round trip if no outstation catering is available. Since it's all basically drinks and snacks the only issue is hot water which can be serviced pretty much everywhere even for RON services. I've been on a few flights were potable water wasn't available for various reasons and the flight simply had no coffee/tea service (funny how many people jump to Tomato Juice is that situation).
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

flyguy84

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:05 am

mia wrote:
Does MSY have local catering?

Yes. LSG Sky Chefs and Gate Gourmet

chepos

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:09 am

For the RON at PSP for AA at least they truck it in (from ONT I believe, not 100%).
Fly the Flag!!!!

NickLAX

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:38 am

Wow - MSY is hardly isolated - UA did do return catering on the inbounds to LIH (Lihue, Kauai - Hawaii) - they had a local vendor do drinks and parts of main cabin buy on board but rest was hauled in on part of the carts on the inbound for First.

You want to think isolated, think more like secondary Europe and Asia airports that are more akin to holiday flights - you find a mix of local suppliers and haul in what you can where it makes sense.

Lots of Airline caterers now use their commercial kitchens to supply chains like Starbucks (in many countries) - this allows for the lowered airline service demands (e.g. less main cabin free meals) be offset by other customer opportunities.

SQ22

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:33 pm

I was recently travelling on UA155 from PNI with final destination HNL. I was quite surprised that some trolleys were changed at KWA new ice cubes came onboard as well.

e38

Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:37 am

Quoting mia (thread starter), "How does catering work at isolated airports?"

mia, why do you perceive New Orleans INTERNATIONAL Airport to be an isolated airport?

you also asked, "Do they truck in the catering from IAH?" Do you think that would be a logical solution in this case, a journey of over 350 miles--at least a 5 hour drive each way--to cater an airplane?

There are established catering companies at New Orleans; LSG Sky Chefs and GateGourmet have been mentioned in previous replies. If those are not satisfactory or unavailable, airlines can also contract with private caterers. It is also possible to round-trip cater the airplane from the originating station, provided galley storage space and suitable refrigeragtion is available.

e38

kabq737

Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:34 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
I know after LSG Sky Chefs closed its ABQ kitchen, a local vendor catered the F cabin for AA. I'm not sure if this is still being done since the US Airways merger.

I’m not sure about that either. I know of a local ABQ company that does a lot of catering for 135 operators so I wouldn’t be surprised if they did work for some larger carriers too.
320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM, SEEKER, C172N, C172R, DA40

Tristarsteve

Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:43 am

For flights of up to about 3 hours from LHR, BA supplies all the catering from LHR. It is carried in the cabin in trollies with dry ice. This is also true for RON aircraft.
Here at ARN the breakfast for the morning departure is loaded at LHR the night before, and left on the aircraft overnight. BA does not even have a catering contract here.

mia
Topic Author

Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks everyone for the kind responses. I think of New Orleans as an isolated airport because it just recently started serving 2 international routes. Its domestic routes are all minor and basic not requiring much in terms of in flight catering.

I stand corrected with regards to operators:

https://www.lsgskychefs.com/us/operate/ <- LSG does not have an operation in MSY

http://www.gategourmet.com/about/our-global-network <- Gate Gourmet does

Thanks y'all.