lowkeyloki
Topic Author

Flying for a foreign airliner?

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:43 pm

So, currently I'm an American citizen, and I have not started working on getting my PPL and all of that yet, but I am going to start come this August. And if at all possible, I would like to be able to go along the best route possible to fly for a foreign airline, mainly in Finland or Sweden. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to make my chances more likely to be accepted to fly for these foreign airlines? Some background:

- I'll be starting at Embry Riddle Aeronautical University this fall to get my BS in Aeronautical Science, as well as a minor in Meteorology, and possibly a business minor.
- Once I have that, I'll work as a flight instructor for the school to gain more hours, and during that process I'll get my Masters in Aeronautics.
- I have family that live in both Finland and Sweden, and can take the time I'll be in America studying to learn the languages (it'll probably be anywhere between 5-6 years before I'm done getting my Masters).

I would appreciate some advice from people who may have experience in this, working for a foreign airline, or just anyone who could lend me some advice! Thank you.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Flying for a foreign airliner?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 am

You have to have the “right to work” in your desired country. Can your family sponsor you?

GF

pikachu

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:44 am

Europe is tough... Proper passport and licence required.

lowkeyloki
Topic Author

Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:55 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
You have to have the “right to work” in your desired country. Can your family sponsor you?

GF

If I ask my aunt when the time comes around, she possibly could, if aunts can sponsor like that.

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:19 am

As mentioned above, you must have the right to work in Europe and the airline won't help you with that. Additionally, some airlines require knowing a local language but you seem to have considered that bit already. BTW any of the Scandinavian languages tend to be much easier to learn for an English speaker than Finnish, since they are in the same language tree as English.

If you want to work abroad, East and Southeast Asia, the Middle East and Africa have opportunities. Many airlines, from bush operator to major, offer employment to foreigners, and will arrange for a work visa as needed.

The fact that you do have a plan that involves study and hard work is a good thing. Airlines tend to look at long term commitment and ability to dig in and work hard when they recruit.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

TOGA10

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 am

Not the easiest place in the world to find a job tbh. Not many major carriers,apart from SAS there are few small companies but not that many. Also, you'll need to have an EASA license, instead of the FAA one. Not sure how easy it is to convert, but I think I read somewhere you'll need to redo your ATPL theory.. Adding to that is the fact that there is not a shortage (yet) of ab initio's in Europe, so you might struggle with finding a good opportunity. However! If you have a good plan, did your research, have the motivation, go for it and be ready to adjust your ambition to fit to new circumstances.
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato

BravoOne

Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Check out then ME3 as they all currently employ many foreign pilots, at this time at least/

VSMUT

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:43 pm

lowkeyloki wrote:
And if at all possible, I would like to be able to go along the best route possible to fly for a foreign airline, mainly in Finland or Sweden.

The chances of that as a non-European citizen are virtually nil. There is still great unemployment among pilots in Europe (and that seems unlikely to change), so you will be of absolutely no interest to any Scandinavian airline if you can't bring any valuable experience to the table. You will very likely be required to master the language too and get work permits (which isn't going to be easy).

For Scandinavia you also have very few options when it comes to airlines. SAS is only hiring for their Irish daughter company, and thats with a base in the UK or Spain. Cityjet (SAS CRJ ops.) will also base you somewhere else. All the ATR operators require you to bring you own rating. The university degrees won't really help you landing a job here.

You also need an EASA license, which is not just a simple matter of filling out some paperwork. You have to take the entire ATPLs, a grueling 6-9 month process with some nasty exams in the end.

If you really want to work in Europe, look into the ultra-LCCs like Ryanair or Wizz. Those are probably your best chance. No guarantee that you will be based anywhere close to Finland or Sweden though, and you probably still have to pay your own rating.