flyboy80
Topic Author

A32x galley configurations

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 pm

I’m curious what configurations are available for A32X series airplane in regard to galleys. For years most airlines chose the large full-width designs for the aft, but in order to add additional rows of seats, “SpaceFlex” was developed- not sure what the difference is between versions 1 and 2 of spaceflex- they both look cramped with lavatories in what is actually the galley space itself. If I recall correctly there was a kind of hybrid, which I think was used by United, where one lavatory was located aft of the doors and one forward, thus creating a slightly wider galley space and also retaining larger lavs. Is this option I’m thinking of still available on new build Airbuses? Are most airlines ordering the space flex concept now to increase seating?

CRJ900

Re: A32x galley configurations

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:32 pm

The "United hybrid" aft galley you speak of has been used by a few airlines - with a large(ish) lavatory and a galley with four full-size carts on the back wall. Air Caledonian - later BA - A320-100, Air France A318, easyJet A319, Cebu Pacific A319...

The downside with this config is that you'll have to sacrifice three seats if you want to have an additional lavatory in the back of the cabin, but it may be a bit more humane for passengers and crew especially on longer flights. But "humane conditions" doesn't bring in the money, so I think SpaceFlex vol 1 and 2 will be the only versions appearing on NEO aircraft.

Side note: Airbus was very smart in making the A32X forward galley #1 so big, with room for four full-size carts, unlike the tiny B737 forward galley #1 with room for only three half-size carts. As we see now, it gives Airbus so many options for squeezing in extra seats while still having room for a lot of catering, be it complimentary or buy-on-board.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

phllax

Re: A32x galley configurations

Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:45 pm

United had that configuration on the pm-UA 752's as well. What it did was to keep all of the lav lines on the left side, and all catering and clean/potable water on the right side.