Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

snow007
Topic Author

Boeing C check interval

Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for information about C Check interval for Airplaine.

MPD say:
• "A" Check Interval
The "A" Check is to be accomplished at intervals not to exceed 450 Flight Hours.
Tasks selected for "A" Check (or multiples thereof) are so specified in the "Interval" column of the task summary.
• "C" Check Interval
The "C" Check is to be accomplished at intervals not to exceed 3600 Flight hours or 15 months (calendar time), whichever comes first. Tasks selected for
"C" Check (or multiples thereof) are so specified in the "Interval" column of the task summary.
For multiple "A" and "C" Tasks, up to 4A and 8C, use multiples of basic check intervals stated above. (e.g., 2A = 900 FH, 3C = 10,800 FH / 45 Months).
2. An operator may desire to perform "A" or "C" interval tasks on a continuous or a progressive maintenance program system; e.g., "A" or "C" interval tasks
would be phased into a number of individual packages. This would be considered acceptable provided the maximum interval between successive tasks does
not exceed that listed in this document. The individual tasks or phases should not be so numerous as to preclude a substantive evaluation of the condition of
the entire airplane.
3. Operators deviating substantially from a normal type of utilization (those accumulating less than 100 flight hours/month/airplane (1200 hours/year)), should
consider the application and employment of a Low Utilization Maintenance Program based on calendar time. Upon request, Boeing will assist an operator
with the development of a Low Utilization Maintenance Program.

As I understand:
1C interval 3600 Hours or 15Mths
2C interval 7200 Hours or 30Mths
3C interval 10800 Hours or 45Mths
4C interval 14400 Hours or 60Mths
5C interval 18000 Hours or 75Mths
6C interval 21600 Hours or 90Mths
8C interval 28800 Hours or 120Mths
(is it right?)

info: Last check performed is C4 check (C4&C2&C1) in April 2018
info 2: Last C5 check performed in 2004 year.
If you additional Last perform + Interal C5 check, next due C5 check should be in 2010, right?

Operator informed me that from his side, after C4 check he will perform C5 check (C5 +C1) 15months after last performed C4 check.

What's your point of view?

Thanks

mmo

Re: Boeing C check interval

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:48 am

In the US, the maintenance schedule is designed by the airline and the aircraft manufacturer signs off on it and finally the FAA approves the schedule. Years ago, the C check was a stand alone check. However, most airlines now have a phased approach where the C check is done in increments over a specific period of time. So, you would have to contact a specific airline to see of they would give you their heavy maintenance schedule. I doubt they would.

strfyr51

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:52 am

snow007 wrote:
Hello,

I'm looking for information about C Check interval for Airplaine.

MPD say:
• "A" Check Interval
The "A" Check is to be accomplished at intervals not to exceed 450 Flight Hours.
Tasks selected for "A" Check (or multiples thereof) are so specified in the "Interval" column of the task summary.
• "C" Check Interval
The "C" Check is to be accomplished at intervals not to exceed 3600 Flight hours or 15 months (calendar time), whichever comes first. Tasks selected for
"C" Check (or multiples thereof) are so specified in the "Interval" column of the task summary.
For multiple "A" and "C" Tasks, up to 4A and 8C, use multiples of basic check intervals stated above. (e.g., 2A = 900 FH, 3C = 10,800 FH / 45 Months).
2. An operator may desire to perform "A" or "C" interval tasks on a continuous or a progressive maintenance program system; e.g., "A" or "C" interval tasks
would be phased into a number of individual packages. This would be considered acceptable provided the maximum interval between successive tasks does
not exceed that listed in this document. The individual tasks or phases should not be so numerous as to preclude a substantive evaluation of the condition of
the entire airplane.
3. Operators deviating substantially from a normal type of utilization (those accumulating less than 100 flight hours/month/airplane (1200 hours/year)), should
consider the application and employment of a Low Utilization Maintenance Program based on calendar time. Upon request, Boeing will assist an operator
with the development of a Low Utilization Maintenance Program.

As I understand:
1C interval 3600 Hours or 15Mths
2C interval 7200 Hours or 30Mths
3C interval 10800 Hours or 45Mths
4C interval 14400 Hours or 60Mths
5C interval 18000 Hours or 75Mths
6C interval 21600 Hours or 90Mths
8C interval 28800 Hours or 120Mths
(is it right?)

info: Last check performed is C4 check (C4&C2&C1) in April 2018
info 2: Last C5 check performed in 2004 year.
If you additional Last perform + Interal C5 check, next due C5 check should be in 2010, right?

Operator informed me that from his side, after C4 check he will perform C5 check (C5 +C1) 15months after last performed C4 check.

What's your point of view?

Thanks

All of what you say is true but for What Airline?? Most airlines have their own engineering department And many do segmented checks as you stated above.
I retired from United and we were one of the few airlines that I knew that still did Overhauls or HMV's (Heavy Maintenance Visits) With our Wide Body airplanes We alsp performed "Annual visits" which were primarily for corrosion inspection and repairs Time change Items were done during A,and C checks. Our annuals were in the hangar for 15 days around the clock. I don't know what program we presently use as we contract much of our heavy maintenance out.

snow007
Topic Author

Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 am

Hello,
Yes the best is to contact somebody for airline compagny.
May someone could read this message and reply ?

Dalmd88

Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:07 pm

Everything varies by each operator. The manufacturer has a basic program that is then modified and approved for each operator. comparing one program to another is tough, mostly due to the different names that are given to each check. Even at Delta it is hard to keep track. Every fleet type has a different program and the names keep being changed.

The basics tend to be a check every 2-3 days includes a walkaround, tires, brake check, and fluids. For DL if the the plane overnights at a MTC station it gets the check. Next level check is I think hour based. We call it a 'A' check. Little more involved but can be done in an overnight. The tasks are different depending where in the cycle it falls. Most fleets get a more involved 'C' check every 18-24 months. Most take a 3-21 day hangar visit. I think they are on a 8-10 year cycle for DL. The first in the cycle are quick 3-4 day checks, most are 7-10 and the last is a big internal structural check on most fleets so it usually takes 21 days. The structural inspection is quick, but removing and installing the interior is time consuming.

On top of that you also have lube visits at regular intervals for the gear and flight controls. Plus there are gear change schedules.