NameOmitted
Topic Author

Would a large prop plane designed today look the same?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:59 pm

I live near ANC, which may well be one of the best places in the world for plane-spotting. We still fly DC-6 aircraft up here, along with a few Grummans, and there are a host of airframes within easy driving distances stretching from the C-119 to a AN-2 being restored. Looking at all these old prop-planes, it lead me to wonder what a modern large prop aircraft would look like.

Modern large aircraft have swept wings and sloping tails, developed for high speed jet service. If there were a modern replacement for the Bristol Britannia/Yukon, would it share these features, perhaps looking more like a Russian Bear Bomber than the Brabazon? If it were a slower creature, would it have straighter wings?

CCGPV

Re: Would a large prop plane designed today look the same?

Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:05 pm

I'd imagine the speed limitations on long-haul flights would kill any possibility of developing a new long range turboprop so that would probably eliminate any sort of swept-wing design. They simply aren't fast enough to justify long flights.

Now, regionally centered aircraft might work. I don't think we'd see any drastic wing or fuselage changes. I think the engines and propellers would be the game changer here. Maybe high density?
Stay curious

Florianopolis

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:02 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
I live near ANC, which may well be one of the best places in the world for plane-spotting. We still fly DC-6 aircraft up here, along with a few Grummans, and there are a host of airframes within easy driving distances stretching from the C-119 to a AN-2 being restored. Looking at all these old prop-planes, it lead me to wonder what a modern large prop aircraft would look like.

Modern large aircraft have swept wings and sloping tails, developed for high speed jet service. If there were a modern replacement for the Bristol Britannia/Yukon, would it share these features, perhaps looking more like a Russian Bear Bomber than the Brabazon? If it were a slower creature, would it have straighter wings?

For passengers or cargo? Because here's a large prop plane (MTOW >300k lbs) designed today. It's got a mission-specific design, though, like a high wing and a T-tail and a cargo ramp.

The jets win for passengers because they can go fast and high, and sometimes passengers don't like the big spinny things. As long as you don't care about that stuff, a prop wins. A prop-driven passenger airplane meant to get near-jet performance would look like a Tu-114 (and sound like a thousand freight trains), and one optimized to medium-haul would look like an Electra. Short-haul would look like an ATR or dash-8.

If you're into this sort of stuff, you might enjoy a book called "The Road to The 707", by William Cook.

NameOmitted
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:47 am

Than you, I'll check it out!

CowAnon

Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:44 pm

A modern large prop aircraft would have to (and is able to) at least match current narrowbody levels of speed (Mach 0.78), so the wings wouldn't appear very different from those on a B737 or A320. The engines would probably have to be mounted near the back of the fuselage instead of on the wings, which means the aircraft would have a T-tail design.

Progress in Open Rotor Research: A U.S. Perspective (NASA, 2015)