Mustafa2001
Topic Author

cadet pilot programme

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi, my name is Mustafa, I'm Syrian and I'm 17 years old, I'm gonna graduate from secondary school next year, and becoming a pilot is my dream and my passion, I have a couple of question that can help me so much for making a decision about what I'm gonna do for the next step.
1-is it possible for a Syrian to enroll a cadet pilot programme despite my nationality?
2- what are the most equivalent cadet programmes for someone facing the same circumstances that I do?

Thank you.

InnsbruckFlyer

Re: cadet pilot programme

Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:38 pm

Hi Mustafa,

Cadet pilot programs usually only apply to people from one country trying to apply for that country‘s airlines. For example: Cathay Pacific‘s cadet program is only available for Hong Kong citizens, and Emirates‘s cadet program is only available for UAE citizens. You could, however, join a flight school/club. You just have to have the money, which granted is hard to get. But, for airlines like Wizz Air, you just need to clock the hours and join them. Hope that‘s helpful!

Greets from Innsbruck,

InnsbruckFlyer
2018: LG B738, DH8D | LX B77W | OS E195 | UA B738 | W6 A321

Mustafa2001
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:58 pm

thank you InnsbruckFlyer but I have seen many cadet programmes doesn't require that country nationality but my question was about my nationality, like if I have all the requirements is my nationality could be a reason to get rejected?

Thanks.

VSMUT

Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:59 pm

Im not a recruiter, but as a pilot, my own opinion and observations are that you will have an enormous uphill battle , even if you had a license and a typerating today. Its hardly any secret why being a Syrian citizen is problematic. The airline quite simply doesnt know if you will be allowed to live and work in the country in question, and even if you do, whether or not you will be sent home once peace returns to Syria. Can the airline even get a work permit for you once you graduate in 3 years time? Your secondary school, is it even recognized in other countries? On top of that, there is no shortage of skilled candidates for cadet programs with all the credentials and background in order. Getting into one of these programs is like winning the lottery, even for those with good qualifications. Its just too much work for a recruiter to research all of this, when the next 5000 applications dont have this uncertainty.

Mustafa2001
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:00 am

so what does that mean I really need some help, especially about the cadet programmes, cause it's my father's stipulation for me to become a pilot, I must find a solution one way or other, I can't give up that easily on my dream.

Starlionblue

Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:31 am

There can be differences in what an airline calls a "cadet programme". As I see it, a cadet programme means ab initio, taking the cadet from zero hours to airline induction. However, some airlines may call a half year program for recruits already holding a CPL a "cadet programme".

As VSMUT says, the right to work in a country is important. That being said, some companies, e.g. CX, will provide a work visa for their "non-cadet" recruits, i.e. those with CPL or ATPL level experience.

I think the most feasible path for you is to get a CPL and at least 500 hours. This will make you eligible for several recruitment programmes. It's not cheap to get to that level on your own but many do it by saving or borrowing. If you're lucky you can also scramble up some work with your CPL, like crop dusting. Or go the instructor route,

Step 1: Get a first class aviation medical. No point spending a big chunk of money and then finding out there is some medical hiccup that prevents you from getting an aviation medical.

The cheapest and fastest place to get your licenses is probably the US. You'll have to get a visa, but many schools will help with a student visa. Any ICAO CPL will do, though, so you're not actually limited to the US.

Study wise, try to do the licenses in "chunks". Don't fly once a week or twice a month. Save up and do the whole PPL in one go, then build hours, save up and do the whole IR in one go, and so on. You will progress faster and thus spend less.

Nitpick on the CX cadet programme. It is open to Hong Kong Citizens and also permanent residents (not that this helps the OP much).
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VSMUT

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:50 am

Mustafa2001 wrote:
so what does that mean I really need some help, especially about the cadet programmes, cause it's my father's stipulation for me to become a pilot, I must find a solution one way or other, I can't give up that easily on my dream.

Hang on one moment. Is it your choice, or your fathers? Because if it isnt your own first choice, you really shouldnt choose this career.
I have seen many students attempt this education on their father's whims, and it never ends well. And if it really is your father who insists, then he must also cough up the money for the flying school. This is an expensive career to get into, and being admitted to an ab-initio cadet program is highly unlikely, unfortunately... :(

Mustafa2001
Topic Author

Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:45 pm

VSMUT it is my choice and if I have the control I would do it without enrolling a cadet programme but enrolling a cadet programme is my father's stipulation for me to become a pilot.

Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate it.

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:01 am

Mustafa2001 wrote:
VSMUT it is my choice and if I have the control I would do it without enrolling a cadet programme but enrolling a cadet programme is my father's stipulation for me to become a pilot.

Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate it.

I don't understand this stipulation. Pinning your hopes on the unlikely chance of being accepted to a cadet programme limits your chances from the very beginning.

If the goal is to fly airliners, does it matter how you get there? There are multiple paths towards an airline pilot job. I know pilots who financed their own flight training by working as flight attendants, grocery store clerks, lorry drivers, serving in the military as non-pilots, etc... An advantage of the non-cadet path is that it builds work and life experience.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Mustafa2001
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 am

the reason that stipulation because my father doesn't want to pay that much if I'm not gonna find a job at the end, actually I've made my decision that if I haven't got accepted in any cadet programme I'm gonna study flight engineering then afterward I will continue my way to become a pilot.

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:01 am

Mustafa2001 wrote:
the reason that stipulation because my father doesn't want to pay that much if I'm not gonna find a job at the end, actually I've made my decision that if I haven't got accepted in any cadet programme I'm gonna study flight engineering then afterward I will continue my way to become a pilot.

Sounds like a plan. Don't be afraid to change your plan if conditions change though. As the saying goes, "no battle plan survives contact with the enemy".

Good luck in your endeavours!

Mustafa2001
Topic Author

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:38 pm

yeah sure and thank you so much Starlionblue.