Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SL1200MK2
Topic Author

Part 135 Aircraft used for Part 121?

Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm

Hello All,

It has been quite a while since I started a topic as most often, much of what I would like to know more about is already here.

One thing that did come to mind, however, is the subject of aircraft that are typically used to Part 135 operations being used for scheduled Part 121 operations.

One that I can think of, off hand, is the Grumman Gulfstream I, which I know was used by Chaparral Airlines as American Eagle and by Royale Airlines as Continental Connection.

Now, I feel like this is a bit of a nuanced occurrence as the operations of a turboprop aircraft such as the Gulfstream I can be worked into an airlines scheduled operation, whereas Cessna Citations, Embraer Phenoms and Dassault Falcons do not in the same way.

It is clear to me that the CRJ's were originally corporate jets and I am not really talking about that but rather, aircraft that were created as corporate aircraft and then used in airline ops.

This brings me to my question: Are there any other examples of charter aircraft - jet or turboprop - that have been used in scheduled airline operations?

I have always found this to be an interesting subject so I figured I'd ask.

Thanks and best regards!

MO11

Re: Part 135 Aircraft used for Part 121?

Wed May 16, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm not sure what the question really is. The Gulfstream I in the high density 24-seat configuration was operated under part 135. The stretched version was operated under part 121. The period in which those airplanes operated were during a time in which airlines were looking for inexpensive alternatives for larger aircraft.

Citations have been used in scheduled service. King Airs have been used in scheduled service, and the King Air 200 has been offered in an airline version by Beech as well as through another vendor by STC. Cessna 441s have been used in airline service, as well as its unpressurized cousin, the F406. But all of these airplanes are part 135.

And as you mentioned, several aircraft were developed from smaller corporate models, such as the Beech 99, 1900, and Swearingen Metroliner.

SL1200MK2
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 5:44 pm

MO11 wrote:
I'm not sure what the question really is. The Gulfstream I in the high density 24-seat configuration was operated under part 135. The stretched version was operated under part 121. The period in which those airplanes operated were during a time in which airlines were looking for inexpensive alternatives for larger aircraft.

Citations have been used in scheduled service. King Airs have been used in scheduled service, and the King Air 200 has been offered in an airline version by Beech as well as through another vendor by STC. Cessna 441s have been used in airline service, as well as its unpressurized cousin, the F406. But all of these airplanes are part 135.

And as you mentioned, several aircraft were developed from smaller corporate models, such as the Beech 99, 1900, and Swearingen Metroliner.

Hey MO11,

Thanks for the reply and pardon the lack of clarity in my question. However, you answered exactly what I was wondering about. I work in Part 135 and I dream of moving to Part 121 and for whatever reason, I find it very interesting to see the aircraft I deal with each day being used on scheduled operations.

Your response did cause me to wonder which carriers have use the Citations in scheduled service. Once you mentioned the King Air's, I remembered carriers such as Air Greenland using them.

In any case, many thanks again for the reply and answers. Have a great day!

Regards

ODwyerPW

Wed May 16, 2018 8:58 pm

I have wondered if a 9 pax Phenom Shuttle could be built by Embraer..

Okie

Wed May 16, 2018 10:50 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
I have wondered if a 9 pax Phenom Shuttle could be built by Embraer..

The problem is the EMB 505 is designed to fly high and fast with less cycle counts on the life of the airframe.
Just the opposite of what is needed for short flight, high cycle use as in a shuttle.

Okie

GalaxyFlyer

Sat May 19, 2018 12:19 pm

The regulatory fact is there is no such thing as a Part 135 or Part 121 plane. It’s the operation, not the plane that determines the regulatory environment. If it scheduled passenger/cargo in common carriage of a US registered carrier, it, with a few exceptions, be 121. The exceptions being small non-transport category turboprops with less than 10 seats. If it’s that exception or air taxi under 6,000 pounds payload, it’s Part 135. If it’s fractional ownership, it’s Part 91K. If it’s a private operation of large transport category planes, it’s Part 125. The requirements frequently mirror the different parts, 91K looks a lot like 135 oir example, there are differences. A B737 could be operated under each part, depending on the operation. NTT was going to operate it’s BBJs, never delivered, under Part 91K as they were configured with a payload under 6,000#. Airlines operate them under 121. A private operator, depending on payload configuration, could be 91 or 125. I think a 737 could be 135 if configured as NTT planned.

GF