Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cyanide2703
Topic Author

Naming systems/basics

Wed May 16, 2018 12:25 pm

Yeah, I'm very new to all of this and want to know all the basics. Scrolling through the forums, I saw a lot of industry jargon. Where do I start to know all these basics and airplane naming systems?

SAAFNAV

Re: Naming systems/basics

Wed May 16, 2018 2:19 pm

What airplane naming systems are you referring to?
The only 'system' that really has any sway is the 1962 Tri-Service aircraft designation system for US military aircraft.

Civilian companies can name a plane anything they like.

I'm not sure there's one list to go through with all of it. A lot of stuff comes from years of working, talking and reading aviation.

Try this for size: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... reviations

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed May 16, 2018 2:28 pm

The other common ones are the IATA and IACO codes. Often used in discussions to refer to various airports, airlines, aircraft models, etc.

For example you might see something like "NZ flies a B77W from AKL to LHR via LAX"

Which unpacked basically says Air New Zealand flies Auckland to London via Los Angeles using a Boeing 777-300ER.

Most of this you'll pick up over time. Remember the abbreviations and other slang should be used to improve speed of comprehension between parties that both understand the meaning. It will take time to get there. And even then the sub specialities will mean you won't get everything.

Cyanide2703
Topic Author

Wed May 16, 2018 5:11 pm

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
The other common ones are the IATA and IACO codes. Often used in discussions to refer to various airports, airlines, aircraft models, etc.

For example you might see something like "NZ flies a B77W from AKL to LHR via LAX"

Which unpacked basically says Air New Zealand flies Auckland to London via Los Angeles using a Boeing 777-300ER.

Most of this you'll pick up over time. Remember the abbreviations and other slang should be used to improve speed of comprehension between parties that both understand the meaning. It will take time to get there. And even then the sub specialities will mean you won't get everything.

So do I just search these abbreviations up as I read and the airplane names, too? And then do I just learn by exposure?

AirKevin

Wed May 16, 2018 5:27 pm

Cyanide2703 wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

So do I just search these abbreviations up as I read and the airplane names, too? And then do I just learn by exposure?

More or less. Even then, there's really no way to know everything. There's just far too many planes and airports out there. For instance, I might know most major airports in the United States. The secondary airports are going to throw me off, and some foreign airports are also going to throw me off.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 am

Cyanide2703 wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

Pretty much. It's how I've learnt them.

You might want to go look up the codes for airports and planes you like. But beyond that you'll largely pick it up as you see them. I come across ones every day on this forum that I have to look up. And one that took me ages to remember was U2 for EasyJet in Europe.

Cyanide2703
Topic Author

Fri May 18, 2018 2:14 am

ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:
Cyanide2703 wrote:
ZaphodHarkonnen wrote:

Pretty much. It's how I've learnt them.

You might want to go look up the codes for airports and planes you like. But beyond that you'll largely pick it up as you see them. I come across ones every day on this forum that I have to look up. And one that took me ages to remember was U2 for EasyJet in Europe.

Time to choose a favorite airport, I guess!

Starlionblue

Mon May 21, 2018 4:14 am

Aviation seems to worship abbreviations. The abbreviations section in the front part of your typical FCOM** is 20 pages long. What is an LGCIU***, anyone?

The vocabulary keeps evolving as well. When we got the 350 we had a whole new set of acronyms to learn for systems.

As mentioned above, you learn by exposure. Google is a big help as well. Or simply ask.

Some more abbreviations found here.
http://aviation.rosboch.net/?p=33
http://aviation.rosboch.net/?p=35

**Flight Crew Operations Manual
*** Landing Gear Control and Interface Unit

ZaphodHarkonnen

Mon May 21, 2018 8:31 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Aviation seems to worship abbreviations. The abbreviations section in the front part of your typical FCOM** is 20 pages long. What is an LGCIU***, anyone?

The vocabulary keeps evolving as well. When we got the 350 we had a whole new set of acronyms to learn for systems.

As mentioned above, you learn by exposure. Google is a big help as well. Or simply ask.

Some more abbreviations found here.
http://aviation.rosboch.net/?p=33
http://aviation.rosboch.net/?p=35

**Flight Crew Operations Manual
*** Landing Gear Control and Interface Unit

Abbreviations and acronyms are a side effect of all professions. IT, Medical, Government, Military, Aviation, Maritime, etc. They all have their own slang.

The thing to remember is the whole point of such shortening is to improve the speed and accuracy of communication between parties who understand the terms. Each abbreviation and acronym wraps various complex concepts and meanings. So saying the shortened word allows you to communicate a complex meaning quickly and with less chance of confusion.

The downside is that if you don't know the terms it may as well be a foreign language. So you either have to learn or have the other party slow down and communicate with the full terms. A lesson I've learnt from the other side doing IT services work with non IT clients.