flapsdown40
Topic Author

Question about wing flex on ATR 72 and Q400's

Tue May 15, 2018 11:22 am

I was curious if there is any wing flex on the ATR 72 and Dash 8 Q400 high wing turboprops. I watch hours of Youtube video every month and got to wondering about this subject. I don't think I've ever seen the wings on these 2 aircraft flex, even during those dramatic "Landing in a storm at Amsterdam," or "Landing in a storm at Birmingham." The wings seem to be "one continuous structure" if you know what I mean. Some years ago, I knew a couple of guys who used to fly on the Navy P-3 Orion submarine hunters. They both said that the P-3 wings have "absolutely no wing flex whatsoever. They are stiff as a board." Because of this, the ride on a P-3 in turbulence could get really, really bad, to the point where a few guys couldn't take it anymore and transferred out of the P-3 to something else; I don't know what. I've never flown on an ATR 72 nor a Q400, so I don't know how smooth or "bumpy" the ride is on those planes.

TIA for any responses.

Flapsdown40
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

LH707330

Re: Question about wing flex on ATR 72 and Q400's

Tue May 15, 2018 4:30 pm

They obviously flex a little bit, but because of their high T/C ratio, not nearly as much as a lot of swept-wing aircraft do. Their lower wing loading probably also contributes.