anthonycII
Topic Author

Ramp Maintenance

Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 am

When a plane is parked on a remote ramp, external power being provided (not APU) and being accessed by stairs to the forward boarding door and scissors lift on the rear, what type of maintenance is taking place?

Apprentice

Re: Ramp Maintenance

Tue May 15, 2018 11:09 am

Hi:

A/c received Line Maintenance and Heavy Maintenance. Heavy Maintenance is performed inside Hangasr and take more much time.
Line Maintenance in dependence of selected program, may include:
-post flight (plane just arrived)
-pre-flight, before departure
-weekly check, more complete check,
- trouble shooting/ fault rectification..

Line Maintenance, performed to aircrafts bond to flight, ussually are done on any available ramp space. For a/c checks, electrical power is requiered. External power is much more cheap that using APU.

Rgds
“An AME, with just a Mechanic Role”, as per one of our pilots
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

fr8mech

Tue May 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Is the scissor lift on a door, or under the empennage? Is the lift a “truck” or a flat bed?

If the lift is a flat bed under the empennage, likely the APU is being serviced as part of an overnight service.

This is very general. What’s happeneing on an aircraft at any given time is dependent on the aircraft, the operator and the schedule.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
If you want a safe space, go home. If that's not safe, change your home.

Dalmd88

Tue May 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Sounds like apu servicing to me also. All sorts of work can get done outside. I've done a lot of 'A' checks outside on remote ramp or even sitting at a overnight gate. That includes things like oil filter changes, gear lube, and even flight control lubes. I've seen entire engine changes done outside. About the only operation that isn't usually done is jacking the entire aircraft.

strfyr51

Tue May 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
Sounds like apu servicing to me also. All sorts of work can get done outside. I've done a lot of 'A' checks outside on remote ramp or even sitting at a overnight gate. That includes things like oil filter changes, gear lube, and even flight control lubes. I've seen entire engine changes done outside. About the only operation that isn't usually done is jacking the entire aircraft.

Many Airports will no longer allow Engine changes on the gate. Even SFO came down hard on that as We at United did ot for years when the Service Center was still standing. We never had to trim our engines beyond part power because that we did in the Test Cell before they delivered the engines. But It was considered heavy Maintenance by the Airport. And they Did check.

Dalmd88

Wed May 16, 2018 12:11 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Many Airports will no longer allow Engine changes on the gate. Even SFO came down hard on that as We at United did ot for years when the Service Center was still standing. We never had to trim our engines beyond part power because that we did in the Test Cell before they delivered the engines. But It was considered heavy Maintenance by the Airport. And they Did check.

I was thinking about engine changes on remote pads, more than at gates. DL does them in ATL outside all the time. When I was in BOS we did do A checks at the gate pretty much every night.

7673mech

Wed May 16, 2018 12:50 am

While not the optimal, I have seen outside jacking at MROs, air carriers and Boeing flightline. Obviously the weather has to cooperate.
You seem to be describing a very generic set up for maintenance.

Jetsgo

Wed May 16, 2018 4:42 am

strfyr51 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Honest question from someone with absolutely zero knowledge in the field... Why would SFO object to maintenance in a location UA approved of? Did SFO and UA really have that different level of risk assessments? Was there another reason besides risk to aircraft and personnel?
Marine Corps Aviation, The Last To Let You Down!

Dalmd88

Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am

Jetsgo wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Honest question from someone with absolutely zero knowledge in the field... Why would SFO object to maintenance in a location UA approved of? Did SFO and UA really have that different level of risk assessments? Was there another reason besides risk to aircraft and personnel?

I bet it is a combination of image, and facility upkeep. Even though the work is done after most pax are not in the terminal, some could still be there. People don't usually like to see their airplane ripped apart. From a facility standpoint, working at gates can get messy in the form of spilled fluids. We try to be neat, but over time a work are gets pretty gummed up with spilled oil. I remember that was a big thing about working at the gate area. Watch the spills even more than ever.

Horstroad

Wed May 16, 2018 9:27 am

Dalmd88 wrote:
When I was in BOS we did do A checks at the gate pretty much every night.

This probably is dependant on the maintenance schedule of the operator and the size of the aircraft. Our A checks ar usually several houndred man hours big and require hangar space for one to two days. On the ramp beween flights we only do the service checks with usually 10-30MH of scheduled work.

Apprentice

Wed May 16, 2018 5:09 pm

Honest question from someone with absolutely zero knowledge in the field... Why would SFO object to maintenance in a location UA approved of? Did SFO and UA really have that different level of risk assessments? Was there another reason besides risk to aircraft and personnel?[/quote]

Hi: In dependence of which airport, sometimes is an image issue: airport want to proyect an clear operations image, w/o any a/c mx outside Hangars or Mx allocated zones.
It may be also related with 24/7 hours control of parking spots, when performing Mx, if, for instance A Brake (or other element) is out of tolerance, it may take some time to replace it. During that time, a/c could not be moved and position (or several positions) be blocked.
This is more acute when plane is parked in a gate, which is a “desired” position by mx because, GPU, ASU, Ground Air Condition etc are available and may be used by mx if needed.

Rgds
“An AME, with just a Mechanic Role”, as per one of our pilots
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”