Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dfwjim1
Topic Author

Runways at Punta Cana?

Thu May 10, 2018 6:56 pm

I flew out of Punta Cana yesterday and noticed that all of the aircraft arriving and departing used runway 08/26 even though runway 09/ 27 was closer to the terminals than 08/26. The Airport was not very busy when I was there but during busier times is 09/27 ever used?

Thanks for your responses.

ChrisKen

Re: Runways at Punta Cana?

Thu May 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Guessing for noise abatement. 08 alignment seems a little bit friendlier on the surrounding areas.

Edit: There's also a note about sub standard friction coefficient on the first third of 09. 'Slippery Surface' when wet.

ryan78

Re: Runways at Punta Cana?

Thu May 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Since 08/26 was opened a few years ago it seems that 09 is rarely used, I've been in and out of PUJ 3 times last year and never saw an arrival or departure on 09. I also heard the surface was old and/or lacked grip as ChrisKen said above, I've always wondered why they haven't paved it or at least tried to fix it since it is never in use. In the busy winter season it is used primarily as a taxiway due to congestion on the ramp. I've always thought it would be more efficient if they used 08 for takeoffs and 09 for landings to improve traffic flow into and out of PUJ, peak taxi times can be super long during the winter months.