Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

strfyr51

Re: Is there a minimum "rest" time for an aircraft?

Tue May 15, 2018 10:31 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
pikachu wrote:
"The 350 automatically motors the engine if the temperature is high. However if the EGT is over 700 you're not permitted to start it."

If the EGT is over 700 degrees C on a shutdown engine I would suggest you have a bigger problem than not being able to start it.

Can anybody provide a manufacturer reference for this minimum engine rest phenomenon? A reference with the stated EGT would be appreciated.

Yes I agree that you would have a bigger problem. :) Nevertheless, the limits are there. Granted, most likely not a limitation on your typical turnaround.

FCOMs are proprietary but here's an older 330 FCOM. The EGT limits for this particular variant are on page 100. http://www.avialogs.com/en/aircraft/europe-and-consortiums/airbus/a330/airbus-330-fcom-flight-operations-volume-3.html#download

Some Engnes are subject to a "Bowed Shaft" situation after shutdown until the Engine residual Temperature drops.
The engine makers used software to modify the starting Sequence to put cooling air through the engine before adding Fuel to normalize the Engine before adding fuel and ignition..

Semaex

Wed May 16, 2018 8:52 am

Blimpie wrote:
I've seen the Alleigent Mad Dogs @HGR sit for less than 45 minutes before turn around which I found to be quite short.

Ha! Amateurs.
I work in BizAv, and the fastest I've seen a crew do a turnaround landing until wheels up again was 8 minutes.

Which is fascinating, since our aircraft don't have reversers, so all the deceleration on the landing run is through the wheel brakes. If I'm honest, I have no idea if there is an OEM guideline on a cool-down period, and if yes, how long that has to be.

Regards

keesje

Wed May 16, 2018 1:56 pm

You can do a hot refueling (engines running) and cool the breaks.

http://fuelforthought.org.nz/sites/default/files/Hot%20Refuelling.pdf
https://www.safran-electrical-power.com/ventilation-systems/our-brake-cooling-solutions

For civil passenger aircraft, you just have to convince the authorities I guess..

HIA350

Wed May 16, 2018 1:57 pm

atcsundevil wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Breaks too.

Breaks for brakes :D

give me a break give me a break break me off a piece of that kitkat bar

26point2

Sat May 19, 2018 12:50 am

GLEX has a Limitation...mandatory minimum 15 minute wait period between landing and takeoff to allow enough time for brakes to heat up to the maximum temp before attempting the next takeoff. RTO with very hot brakes could get exciting.

26point2

Sat May 19, 2018 4:25 am

GLEX has a Limitation...mandatory minimum 15 minute wait period between landing and takeoff to allow enough time for brakes to heat up to the maximum temp before attempting the next takeoff. RTO with very hot brakes could get exciting.