Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Turnover time / WOW / Us Airports

Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:54 pm

Hi everyone,

As the turnover time is a key element for LCC activities, I would like to know if there's a stat of the global turnover time of WOW on US plateforms for their A320s?

Many thanks,

Balerit

Re: Turnover time / WOW / Us Airports

Sun May 06, 2018 2:19 pm

I think you mean turn-around time. Turnover is the amount of money a business makes in a time period.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Sun May 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Balerit wrote:
I think you mean turn-around time. Turnover is the amount of money a business makes in a time period.

My bad, Yes turn-around indeed.

arcticcruiser

Thu May 17, 2018 9:21 pm

Well if you go to their website, you could either find the schedule or make dummy bookings to see arrival and departure times. Once you have, perhaps you will let us know?

calt03

Thu May 17, 2018 11:26 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Well if you go to their website, you could either find the schedule or make dummy bookings to see arrival and departure times. Once you have, perhaps you will let us know?

This user is clearly relatively new to the group.

Let's help them out.

Inbound to BOS arrives 1735hrs, outbound back to Reykjavik (KEF) at 1900hrs- on a 321.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 am

Apologize, I was a bit lazy on that post.

Did the research, it varies from 85 to 115 minutes depending what US airport it is.

Pretty quick compared to legacies long haul acft.

The WOW business model is definately an interesting smart one.

Cubsrule

Mon May 21, 2018 1:45 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:

Did the research, it varies from 85 to 115 minutes depending what US airport it is.

The problem with the business model that WW does not really have a plan for dealing with IRROPS. The aircraft have to get back to KEF on time or the entire bank goes to pot, sometimes resulting in delays of 2-3 hours across the network. Those delays snowball and in the past WW has had a very hard time recovering from a bad operational day or two.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Mon May 21, 2018 3:58 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

The problem with the business model that WW does not really have a plan for dealing with IRROPS. The aircraft have to get back to KEF on time or the entire bank goes to pot, sometimes resulting in delays of 2-3 hours across the network. Those delays snowball and in the past WW has had a very hard time recovering from a bad operational day or two.

Yep, heard about that + the fact that KEF airport seems to be satured with their + Icelandair operations.

But "on the paper" it's a smart strategy. BTW, how do they deal with IRROPS now, do they have an extra aircraft based in KEF in order to cover issue? Did they increase Turnaround times?

Thanks.

cerealspiller

Tue May 22, 2018 11:11 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

Agreed. Their business model definitely sucks, 45 consecutive years of profitability, with record profits in 4Q 2017. This is what happens when you have no plan for dealing with IRROPS.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Tue May 22, 2018 11:49 pm

cerealspiller wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

Agreed. Their business model definitely sucks, 45 consecutive years of profitability, with record profits in 4Q 2017. This is what happens when you have no plan for dealing with IRROPS.

What airline are you talking about?

Cubsrule

Wed May 23, 2018 12:25 am

cerealspiller wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

Have you confused WW (who hubs at KEF but hasn’t been around for 45 years) with WN (who has been around 45 years but doesn’t get closer to Iceland than PWM)?

JAGflyer

Wed May 23, 2018 1:45 am

Turn-around times in the 45-minute range require dedicated ground-personnel who see the flight from start to end and who are able to work efficiently. The longest part of the turnaround involves the loading and unloading of baggage. Two systems that I have seen used to speed up the loading/unloading of narrowbodies are the use of special belt loaders that can be angled into the belly to ease in getting the bags in/out quicker. The second system is a built-in baggage conveyor system that can be moved forward and aft which eliminates the need for two or more workers to make hand-to-hand transfers of the bags to/from the door. Look up "Telair Sliding Carpet" to see what I mean. Containerized aircraft like the A320/321 and 757 (available option) are even faster since the luggage can be pre-loaded prior to the aircraft arriving so that the incoming containers are removed and the outbound ones put onboard immediately after.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Wed May 23, 2018 8:29 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
Turn-around times in the 45-minute range require dedicated ground-personnel who see the flight from start to end and who are able to work efficiently. The longest part of the turnaround involves the loading and unloading of baggage. Two systems that I have seen used to speed up the loading/unloading of narrowbodies are the use of special belt loaders that can be angled into the belly to ease in getting the bags in/out quicker. The second system is a built-in baggage conveyor system that can be moved forward and aft which eliminates the need for two or more workers to make hand-to-hand transfers of the bags to/from the door. Look up "Telair Sliding Carpet" to see what I mean. Containerized aircraft like the A320/321 and 757 (available option) are even faster since the luggage can be pre-loaded prior to the aircraft arriving so that the incoming containers are removed and the outbound ones put onboard immediately after.

Thanks for this comprehensive feedback.

STLflyer

Wed May 23, 2018 11:31 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
A380MSN004 wrote:

Yep, heard about that + the fact that KEF airport seems to be satured with their + Icelandair operations.

But "on the paper" it's a smart strategy. BTW, how do they deal with IRROPS now, do they have an extra aircraft based in KEF in order to cover issue? Did they increase Turnaround times?

Thanks.

Saturated is an understatement. I was at KEF yesterday for my WOW KEF-STL flight, and that place was a zoo. Wall to wall people. High winds and rains. Icelandair was delaying flights and jamming up the works. We were supposed to be boarding at a gate after an Icelandair flight to YEG boarded. Everyone for the YEG flight was in line, but 20 or 30 minutes after the scheduled departure time had passed without a single announcement on the status, so they moved us over to an adjacent gate (the beauty of bussing people out to remote stands I guess) and we left more or less on time, I think perhaps about 20 minutes late, still arrived in STL early.

Interestingly, for WOW's STL flight, the plane sits in STL for around 3 hours. It arrives right around 8 PM, departs at 11 PM. I am not sure why the long wait, perhaps they just don't have the gate space if they left KEF later in the evening, or arrived earlier in the morning.