Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WaywardMemphian
Topic Author

New Programs to Combat US Pilot Shortage

Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:17 pm

Whether these are just warmed up versions of older programs or completely new, they are programs that recently made their way in to the Memphis business news that I read....

American's:
https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/new ... light.html

Fed Ex:
https://about.van.fedex.com/newsroom/fe ... s-program/

lightsaber

Re: New Programs to Combat US Pilot Shortage

Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:45 pm

If too many small towns loose service, the politicians will help... I expect ATP rule changes next year.

Indy

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:18 pm

Is there a pilot shortage or a shortage of pilots willing to work for a poor wage? If you want people to work for you then you need to pay properly. Don't expect pilots to come rushing to you to fill openings at a poor pay rate because you negotiated bad contracts with mainline carriers and can't afford to pay properly. This is a shortage created by the industry and they can fix their own problem.

aaflyer777

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:40 pm

Pay at the regionals isn't the problem, its how much initial flight training costs and the fact that after you drop all that money you only have 200-250 hours of flight time (well short of the 1500 required to go to the airlines). Your only real option to get the remaining 1300 hours is to work as a CFI which is a crap job for crap pay. If they drop the RATP minimums down to 500 or even 750 I bet you more people would be willing to start flight training since they would only need an additional 300-500 hours to get to the airlines.

mikejepp

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:44 pm

aaflyer777 wrote:
Pay at the regionals isn't the problem, its how much initial flight training costs and the fact that after you drop all that money you only have 200-250 hours of flight time (well short of the 1500 required to go to the airlines). Your only real option to get the remaining 1300 hours is to work as a CFI which is a crap job for crap pay. If they drop the RATP minimums down to 500 or even 750 I bet you more people would be willing to start flight training since they would only need an additional 300-500 hours to get to the airlines.

Up until quite recently, it took a few thousand hours to get an interview at a regional.

There are plenty of jobs in between new commercial rated pilot and flying a jet airliner. Unfortunately many potential pilots think these jobs are below them. Too bad, as they make you into a much better aviator.

acos24

Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:50 pm

I always wanted to be a pilot until I saw the wages paid by regional airlines. Granted they're getting better now, but I'm probably a bit too old to get started and reach 1,500 hours. If they drop the requirement I could actually see myself trying to go for an ATP.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:45 pm

There are and will be ample pilots to fulfill the seats. These schemes have gone before. UA tried hiring “off the street” pilot wannabes in the Sixties, few finished and one was Rick Dubinsky. All these programs will create is a large, unneeded supply of pilots in the future. Pilots, who haven’t been active in years, are coming forth with talk of shortages as are squadrons of Army and Navy helicopter guys once passed over by recruiters. Just let the market answer the shortage question.

GF

TWA772LR

Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:15 pm

mikejepp wrote:
aaflyer777 wrote:

Up until quite recently, it took a few thousand hours to get an interview at a regional.

There are plenty of jobs in between new commercial rated pilot and flying a jet airliner. Unfortunately many potential pilots think these jobs are below them. Too bad, as they make you into a much better aviator.

Its not that they think theyre below them, its they dont make a liveable wage.

BravoOne

Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:47 am

There is no pilot shortage here in the US, but Asia is in serious trouble followed by the ME which still doesn't get it regarding long term retention of experienced flight crews.

Starlionblue

Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:00 am

acos24 wrote:
I always wanted to be a pilot until I saw the wages paid by regional airlines. Granted they're getting better now, but I'm probably a bit too old to get started and reach 1,500 hours. If they drop the requirement I could actually see myself trying to go for an ATP.

One way to handle the ATP rule is to work outside the US until you have 1500 hours. In Asia and Europe there are plenty of pilots with a CPL and 500 hours flying airliners.

And how old is too old? There are airline pilots that started flying at 40.

SuseJ772

Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:42 pm

mikejepp wrote:
Some of it may be that. But some it is also that they aren't good at one part of it but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be good at being an airline pilot. CFI is my best example, which appears to be the most popular way to build hours. There are people that are just really lousy teachers. It doesn't mean they aren't good executers. In fact the old (albeit unfair in it's own right) adage would imply the opposite that those that can do, don't want to teach.

I know there is banner towing and photography, etc... But how much of that is really out there?

diverted

Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 pm

SuseJ772 wrote:
mikejepp wrote:
Some of it may be that. But some it is also that they aren't good at one part of it but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be good at being an airline pilot. CFI is my best example, which appears to be the most popular way to build hours. There are people that are just really lousy teachers. It doesn't mean they aren't good executers. In fact the old (albeit unfair in it's own right) adage would imply the opposite that those that can do, don't want to teach.

I know there is banner towing and photography, etc... But how much of that is really out there?

Spraying, surveying, glider towing, instructing, medevac, bush flying, air taxi. Easy way is look up who flies Twotters, King Airs, Metros, Cheyenne's, MU-2's etc. All of those need pilots.

DiamondFlyer

Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:05 am

diverted wrote:
SuseJ772 wrote:
mikejepp wrote:

Spraying, surveying, glider towing, instructing, medevac, bush flying, air taxi. Easy way is look up who flies Twotters, King Airs, Metros, Cheyenne's, MU-2's etc. All of those need pilots.

135 IFR PIC requires 1200 hours, not a whole lot less than an ATP does.