Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ruddman
Topic Author

JT9D-7A thrust rating confusion

Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:11 am

Looking at various documents here there and everywhere (internet and for hobby only) for this particular engine on the 747-100/200, I’ve seen various thrust ratings. Some of them vary by a decent margin. I know it had a ‘wet’ thrust rating. I’m looking for Info on the ‘dry’tnrust rating.

So far I’ve seen :
46150 lbs
46250 lbs
46300 lbs
46500 lbs
46950 lbs
47000 lbs

And that’s all for the ‘dry’ thrust. Some older docs said 46150 / 47000 lbs for the dry / wet thrust ratings and I’ve seen this a few times.

So I’m a little confused. A lot of variance there for the -7A. They can’t all be right..can they? Did Pratt have a couple different -7A engines or is it simply a researchers mistake?

Any help greatly appreciated!

trex8

Re: JT9D-7A thrust rating confusion

Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:20 pm

IDK in this particular case but you need to know the specific conditions for this rating, temp, altitude etc could be enough to make the changes you show.

Ruddman
Topic Author

Re: JT9D-7A thrust rating confusion

Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:37 pm

True I guess. None of this matters one way or another at the end if the day. Purely out of interests sake is all.

Some FAA type certificate data sheets state at standard temps, SL, 5 min limit 46150/47000 lbs dry/wet thrust ratings.
Boeing docs entitled ‘Startup Boeing” state same conditions up to 80F(27C) as 46960/48570 lbs dry/wet.

Quite a range. Almost as if it’s a different engine altogether. The ‘wet’ setting quite a bit more. Truth is out there somewhere...