Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kno
Topic Author

A career transition into aviation

Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Hi all!

I'm currently looking to transition from software sales (I was laid off in February) towards a career I'm more passionate about (in commercial aviation). I'm a 27 year old with experience primarily in sales, logistics, and customer service - I have a marketing degree from Hofstra and live in Boston. As a regular here I figured there might be several of you with similar career paths who might be able to share helpful advice. Where to look, what kinds of positions might be a good fit for someone with my skill sets, and any advice on things I should do to get there.

So far I've looked into membership sales in the jet charter industry, I can also see myself researching markets and developing schedules, new routes, logistics, etc for an airline, or working for Massport on airport operations at Logan. At this age I worry it's a little late to start flight lessons now to become a pilot and that it would put me in years of Debt.

I haven't seen many jobs out there but I am certain they exist. I'm used to the B2B SAAS sales guy approach of finding jobs on job board sites and networking via LinkedIn to score an interview, perhaps this isn't the best approach with airlines and charter brokers? I'd love to hear any advice from you guys and/or hear your stories of what your aviation career is and how you got involved. Feel free to ask me any questions as well!

Thanks in advance!

Kno
Topic Author

Re: A career transition into aviation

Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm surprised there haven't been any responses yet. I assume this is the correct forum to post this in? I'm sure some of you must have careers in commercial aviation and I'd love to hear your stories!

MoKa777

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:43 am

I can't really help you but glad to hear that you willing to take the leap to something you are passionate about. Good luck with everything and hopefully someone will respond with relevant info soon. The members on here are always willing to give advice on careers.

Semaex

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:35 am

Hi there Kno,

I work in Europe in the General Aviation Charter business as a Dispatcher and Pilot, and from the things you say I can very well imagine you become a broker (which naturally is my personal nemesis) OR you could join the light side of the force and become a sales assistant or financial controller in a GA company. This way you can bring your sales expertise into the aviation business and possibly even rise up to dispatch as well and with a bit of luck even piloting - who knows where you career can get you!
I'm about your age too and I know lots of colleagues and other people in their late 20s who decide to bring their very own skills into GA, because they love that field of work.

Now I don't know how much of work experience or college study you need to join an air charter company in the US (in Europe you just need the right skills and attitude), but I imagine that in the general and business aviation industry, which is slowly turning around and growing again first time since the 2008 crisis, there are some interesting opening in the US or Canada too.

Regards,