TrainNutter
Topic Author

So I am getting lessons to get a PPL soon

Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi Again,

What stuff do I need for flight lessons? I.e. Logbook, Electronic Flight Computer, Electronic Flight bag, LED flashlight, etc. (UK Civil Aviation Authority requirements - apart from books it should be the same as everyone else). Also, what UK CAA approved books do I need? And I would prefer to have everything on my iPad (iPad Air 2 running the latest version of iOS) and any recommended apps? I already have an app for the Electronic Flight Computer (AvioCal) and the Electronic Flight Bag (Honeywell Flight Bag Pro).

Thanks
TrainNutter

By the way, I already have an AirBand scanner (Uniden UBC75XLT).

MalevTU134

Re: So I am getting lessons to get a PPL soon

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:17 pm

This is definitely not the right forum for your question. You should contact your flight school and ask.

sassiciai

Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Go talk to a flight school

Leave all your 21st century toys at home, you don't need any of them until after you already have your PPL

Enjoy!

LHRApproach

Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:02 pm

Use the books that your flying school recommends. It's quite often the ones by Pooleys. Forget about the iPad for now - you will be learning with a chart, pen, ruler and an ancient piece of equipment called a flight computer.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Aesma

Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm planning to do the same in a year or two. I already have the book, it's a French one though.

I wouldn't buy anything else in advance (I might have to buy another book but that's fine).

Instead of the stuff you mentioned I would think what can be expected is for you to buy a headset. Also important would be sunglasses, sunblock, and a hat !
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

TrainNutter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:08 am

sassiciai wrote:
Go talk to a flight school

Leave all your 21st century toys at home, you don't need any of them until after you already have your PPL

Enjoy!

Cheers.

TrainNutter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:09 am

Aesma wrote:
I'm planning to do the same in a year or two. I already have the book, it's a French one though.

I wouldn't buy anything else in advance (I might have to buy another book but that's fine).

Instead of the stuff you mentioned I would think what can be expected is for you to buy a headset. Also important would be sunglasses, sunblock, and a hat !

Thankyou, I shall have a look for a UK CAA one.

TrainNutter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:10 am

LHRApproach wrote:
Use the books that your flying school recommends. It's quite often the ones by Pooleys. Forget about the iPad for now - you will be learning with a chart, pen, ruler and an ancient piece of equipment called a flight computer.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Ok. Thanks. But, I'll use an Electronic flight computer as they are way more accurate so I have a higher chance of getting it right 1st time.

TrainNutter
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:11 am

MalevTU134 wrote:
This is definitely not the right forum for your question. You should contact your flight school and ask.

Worth an ask! :D

Semaex

Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:10 am

TrainNutter wrote:
LHRApproach wrote:

Good luck and enjoy it.

Ok. Thanks. But, I'll use an Electronic flight computer as they are way more accurate so I have a higher chance of getting it right 1st time.

Well yes, but no.

Everybody learns it the classic way at first. The Pooley's Flight Computer is an amazing piece of equipment, if you know how to use it. And talking about accuracy: You'd be surprised!
I did all my VFR planning with this little guy, even though I had more modern methods to do it as well.
In the end, for the ATPL theory exams, I had to use the Pooley's anyway, so doing it all on a Tablet or other electronic device would've been useless anyway.

Once you are finished with your PPL and you are in the business for daily flights, sure go ahead and use the iPad or any other method of flight planning and chart depiction.
For redundancy, it's good to have an EFB with you. But please, until then, learn it from scratch and don't skip valuable lessons just to stay in your comfort zone.

Regards,
// You know you're an aviation enthusiast if you look at your neighbour's cars and think about fleet commonality.

Woodreau

Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:43 am

If you have a choice, try to learn how to fly an aircraft with a standard 6-Pack steam gauges instead of a fancy schmancy glass cockpit.

Just like using paper charts and a manual e6b flight computer.

You don’t need the glass cockpit now. You’re learning to fly using the biggest instrument panel ie looking outside. And trying to correlate where you are by looking outside.

If you have any Microsoft flight sim time you’ll need to keep Telling yourself “keep looking outside” and not fixate inside on your instruments. (There is a time for instruments when you are working towards your instrument rating)

Also don’t know if you are also getting a flight bag to hold all of your flight gadgets and headset.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

flipdewaf

Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:41 am

TrainNutter wrote:
LHRApproach wrote:

Good luck and enjoy it.

Its better to get it wrong when you are training and the electronic stuff can make you so detached that stupid errors are missed with a "computer says no" scenario. Its much better to have a feel for it when you have to do the dead reckoning on your test with the diversion.

Fred

Calder

Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

For what it's worth, when I was in flight school, the instructor would often reach over and turn off your EFB, or turn off the GPS and say "Ohh look, your batteries died"/"Ohh no, the GPS failed".

They'd let you continue from there, but it's better to know what you're doing and not be scrambling to recover after they turn off your electronic assistants.
C. T.

slcguy

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:13 am

Don't mean to sound rude, but learn how to fly an airplane first then worry about all the electronic aids!

slcguy

Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:32 am

TrainNutter wrote:
LHRApproach wrote:

Good luck and enjoy it.

If you don't know how to do it yourself, relying on the electronics may give you a better chance of doing it wrong the last time!

VSMUT

Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:36 pm

Pen, paper, kneeboard, ruler, maps/charts, logbook, a simple and small calculator and sunglasses, thats what you need. Oh, and a bag to keep it all in.

Avoid any electronic aids, you'll just get bad habits from them, and if the school is any good, they wont let you use them anyway.

Starlionblue

Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:02 am

No need for anything fancy. A kneeboard. A good headset. Notepad. A couple of pens. Sunblock. A hat or cap. Comfortable clothing. Non-polarised sunglasses. Some sort of bag. No need for a dedicated "nav bag" to start. I found a cheap laptop backpack with lots of pockets and used that.

See if your school has loaner headsets and try a few out before you buy your own. Few things are more important in GA flying than a headset you feel comfortable in. You'll be wearing that thing a lot. I adored my Clarity Aloft headset because even in not-so warm weather when the sun comes out the cockpit gets hot, and a traditional headset can get pretty sweaty. On the other hand a pair of David Clark or Bose are not as delicate.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

LH707330

Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:36 pm

Most important thing you need is money. Plan to go to class 3-4x a week and block the time to study and chair fly. Regarding equipment, using a whiz wheel is fun, and helps you work on your mental math skills. I'd suggest looking up how slide rules work before reading the POH for it. Then you can understand one concept instead of memorizing a bunch of separate workflows.

ChrisKen

Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:41 pm

If your flight school starts trying to insist you buy anything but the basics.....change your flight school. A good school won't let you use anything other than first principles/basics or try to flog you stuff you don't need.

Starlionblue

Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:02 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
If your flight school starts trying to insist you buy anything but the basics.....change your flight school. A good school won't let you use anything other than first principles/basics or try to flog you stuff you don't need.

This. A thousand times this.

Even at the "pre-airline" training school they didn't require us to buy anything beyond a calculator for the ATPLs. They just hurled a free whizz wheel and some stationery at us and got going.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

TrainNutter
Topic Author

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:01 pm

Thank you all for the tips. this has been very helpful.

chimborazo

Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:21 pm

And the most important thing is not mentioned: an accurate timepiece! Just an easy to read watch is great.
Oh, and dry wipe marker remover for your charts.... it doesn't come off with saliva!

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:23 am

chimborazo wrote:
And the most important thing is not mentioned: an accurate timepiece! Just an easy to read watch is great.
Oh, and dry wipe marker remover for your charts.... it doesn't come off with saliva!

Yep. With a second hand or second display.

This becomes especially important when you do your Instrument Rating and you have to do hold after hold after hold after hold...