skywalker92
Topic Author

Aircraft mechanic vs Aircraft maintenance planner

Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:03 am

Hello guys,
If some got a chance to join an airline as an aircraft mechanic or aircraft maintenance planeer what will be the beat to choose? Any pros and cons in two careers. Salary will be same for both during first few years. Any kind of comments are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Skywalker92
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

WPvsMW

Re: Aircraft mechanic vs Aircraft maintenance planner

Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:19 am

One wrenches, the other doesn't. Do you like keyboards or tools?

skywalker92
Topic Author

Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:22 am

Is that the main difference?
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

ILUV767

Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:54 pm

Get your A&P and a business degree which will enable you to become a planner. Twist wrenches for a while, even if its on little airplanes. Become an expert at job cards, AD compliance and all the maintenance manuals. Having that skill set will help open doors in planning should you wish to pursue that path. Planners will typically be low to mid level management employees at airlines, with opportunities to advance. As you're looking to advance your career, consider the physical demands of being a mechanic vs being a planner. Follow your passion, while enabling yourself to have a career that will provide you with steady income and the means to retire.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:23 am

ILUV767 wrote:
Get your A&P and a business degree which will enable you to become a planner. Twist wrenches for a while, even if its on little airplanes. Become an expert at job cards, AD compliance and all the maintenance manuals. Having that skill set will help open doors in planning should you wish to pursue that path. Planners will typically be low to mid level management employees at airlines, with opportunities to advance. As you're looking to advance your career, consider the physical demands of being a mechanic vs being a planner. Follow your passion, while enabling yourself to have a career that will provide you with steady income and the means to retire.

Thanks for the reply ILUV767, It worths.
When it comes to technical expertise who will lead the race?
How They Fly ✈✈
facebook.com/howtheyfly

stratosphere

Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:04 pm

Well it sounds to me like you new to the industry so if I was to give advice I would say you might want to try wrenching for a few years as an A@P before you go to a planning spot. Once you have some experience under your belt you can be a better planner. I was a planner for a short time before I became a maintenance controller and I have seen planners with no experience hired and to be honest they don't make the best planning assignments because they don't really know what they are assigning they have never worked any airplanes so they don't know realistically how long it takes to change an APU for example. Another thing you might want to consider if you're a young guy you might find planning kinda boring. I really liked working line maintenance as a younger guy then when I got to be older the body just doesn't adapt well to working in the elements or getting into tight spaces and then working behind a desk looks appealing. There are plenty of places to move around to especially if you are at your airlines main base. Get in working on the airplanes then look around as you are gaining experience and you will find what fits you best...Good Luck to you whatever you decide.

KRIC777

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:00 pm

It sounds sort of analogous to the difference between an auto technician at a car dealership and a service advisor.
There are some clear differences, as the service advisor isn't really involved in *planning* maintenance.
But in both cases, the techs turn wrenches all day, the service advisor manages the work flow and then has to listen to both the customers complaining when their cars aren't ready on time, AND the bosses complaining that the service bays aren't full all the time and the work isn't turning over fast enough.
I have a business degree, and I'd still rather turn wrenches myself...

strfyr51

Sat May 05, 2018 5:11 pm

skywalker92 wrote:
Hello guys,
If some got a chance to join an airline as an aircraft mechanic or aircraft maintenance planeer what will be the beat to choose? Any pros and cons in two careers. Salary will be same for both during first few years. Any kind of comments are highly appreciated.

Regards,
Skywalker92

If you have no hands on experience? Then being a mechanicis a better path for the experience.
Being a planner can necessitate you having to estimate a job and calculate manpower and resources needed.
If you haven't been on a job or seen the job done? You'd be hard pressed to estimate the job and the resources needed to even put the plan together.