Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jcm4
Topic Author

ATP flight school and alternatives

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:54 pm

I'm a recent college graduate and I'm realizing aviation is where i really want to be. So I'm pursuing a life-long dream of being an airline pilot. I've heard that there's several ways to get there like university programs, local flight schools and the ATP flight school. University programs are out for me since I've just graduated, so I'm considering either going to ATP flight school in Long Beach or San Diego. There's been a lot people saying ATP flight school isn't worth it due to low experience instructors and the fact that it's such a fast paced program. So I'm wondering if it really is the most efficient way to get to the airlines and what's the reality that airlines would hire ATP graduates. ATP seems to be the most cost effective and my job pays well enough to cover the cost of their program. Anyone have experience at the ATP locations in Long Beach or San Diego?

N0dak

Re: ATP flight school and alternatives

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 pm

I can't speak for ATP flight training but I did go through a university program. While my training wasn't conducted at the pace of ATP, it was similarly structured and regimented. While it was beneficial in some ways, looking back on it, I feel like I missed out on the opportunity to enjoy my training. Once I passed one hurdle, it was time to move on to the next. For example, I never got the chance to take my family flying or do a $100 hamburger after my PPL. With that said, airplanes were taken care of and the instructors while new, were just fine.

A big thing to consider is you're going to pay a lot of extra money for an identical certificate to the pilots trained at the school on the other side of the field. If paying for the training is not an issue, you could easily get through your training relatively quickly elsewhere and pocket the difference. As much as schools like to talk about job placements and plaster pictures of regional jets all over their website, airlines aren't really concerned. I was formerly an instructor at a regional airline, and I was never concerned with where they did their training. Your certificate just checks a box on your application. Your attitude and willingness to learn means a lot more.

I'm happy to discuss more if you have more questions.

jcm4
Topic Author

Re: ATP flight school and alternatives

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:46 am

N0dak wrote:
I can't speak for ATP flight training but I did go through a university program. While my training wasn't conducted at the pace of ATP, it was similarly structured and regimented. While it was beneficial in some ways, looking back on it, I feel like I missed out on the opportunity to enjoy my training. Once I passed one hurdle, it was time to move on to the next. For example, I never got the chance to take my family flying or do a $100 hamburger after my PPL. With that said, airplanes were taken care of and the instructors while new, were just fine.

A big thing to consider is you're going to pay a lot of extra money for an identical certificate to the pilots trained at the school on the other side of the field. If paying for the training is not an issue, you could easily get through your training relatively quickly elsewhere and pocket the difference. As much as schools like to talk about job placements and plaster pictures of regional jets all over their website, airlines aren't really concerned. I was formerly an instructor at a regional airline, and I was never concerned with where they did their training. Your certificate just checks a box on your application. Your attitude and willingness to learn means a lot more.

I'm happy to discuss more if you have more questions.

Thanks! I'm currently have a private helicopter license and I could be wrong about this but another pilot told me I can get a commercial airplane license directly since I have my PPL. If that's the case that'll save some money at ATP.