Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Qmans
Topic Author

Can a A359 make CBR-DOH

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:03 am

Reccently Qatar Airways started up CBR-DOH (doh-syd-cbr-syd-doh) routing. Qatar are claiming the routing is due to canberras runway being to short for a 777-300ER. however would a A359 be able to make CBR-DOH non stop. (putting aside half the reason of the flight is for a 2nd sydney flight).

Thanks

zeke

Re: Can a A359 make CBR-DOH

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:05 pm

The answer to your question is yes. It is not really a question of runway length, it is the terrain around the airport. This is an ideal place for an RNP AR departure to improve payload.

DeltaB717

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:36 am

Not to divert too far from the original subject (to which I also believe the answer would be yes, by the way), but a related question that Zeke will probably know the answer to: am I correct in reading the T/O performance chart for the A359 as saying the aircraft can depart a 9,400ft runway at sea level in ISA+15 conditions at MTOW? Cheers.

zeke

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 am

Yes it could do a 277 tonne takeoff (our highest MTOW) on a runway with 9400 ft TORA/TODA/ASDA temp of 15 deg C and QNH 1013 nil wind.

WIederling

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:40 pm

Qmans wrote:
Reccently Qatar Airways started up CBR-DOH (doh-syd-cbr-syd-doh) routing.

Do they take customers to/from both AUS destinations? Is doing the local hop only offered ( SYD <> CBR) ?

DeltaB717

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:14 pm

Thanks, zeke, for your reply. I’m used to reading Boeing’s charts which are set up differently, so wanted to check I was ‘reverse engineering’ the A350 chart correctly.

WIederling wrote:
Qmans wrote:

Do they take customers to/from both AUS destinations? Is doing the local hop only offered ( SYD <> CBR) ?

Yes there are pax (and, I assume, some cargo) arriving and departing from CBR, though so far not enough to sustain a non-stop service. No, QR is not permitted to carry domestic passengers (not even own stopover traffic, unless I’m mistaken).

WIederling

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:00 pm

DeltaB717 wrote:
Thanks, zeke, for your reply. I’m used to reading Boeing’s charts which are set up differently, so wanted to check I was ‘reverse engineering’ the A350 chart correctly.

it is a diagonal flip ( x and y exchanged )

WIederling wrote:
Qmans wrote:

Yes there are pax (and, I assume, some cargo) arriving and departing from CBR, though so far not enough to sustain a non-stop service. No, QR is not permitted to carry domestic passengers (not even own stopover traffic, unless I’m mistaken).

Thank you.

zeke

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:52 pm

WIederling wrote:

We used to do HKG-ADL-MEL-HKG, we could ticket passengers

HKG-ADL
HKG-MEL
ADL-HKG
MEL-HKG

Could not ticket ADL-MEL to the public, could carry crew/staff as that is not generally available to sold to the public.