Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Oykie
Topic Author

Best flight schools in the U.S to become a commercial pilot?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:26 am

So I am thinking of a career change. Ever since I was a child, I have been fascinated by airplanes. I wanted to become a pilot, but in 2002 when I was old enough, every pilot I talked to recommended I chose a different education. So, I did and ended up in education. But it seems that now is a very good time to become a commercial pilot. What I would like to know first is if I am too old? I am currently 36 years old. Would you think I would be employable if I am closer to 40 years old when I finish?

The second thing I am wondering about, is where in the U.S. would you recommend me to apply to become a commercial airline pilot? Most of my friends that have become a pilot in the U.S. have done so in Florida. It seems that is where most people get educated. But how about Los Angeles, or even Atlanta, Georgia? Los Angeles have so many airports and big population. Atlanta has Delta and the world's biggest airport. Do they have a any schools that are good enough to become employable? Any help would be highly appreciated.

VSMUT

Re: Best flight schools in the U.S to become a commercial pilot?

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Where are you from? EU or the US? Your username suggests (OY) Denmark? This is quite relevant.

Oykie wrote:
So I am thinking of a career change. Ever since I was a child, I have been fascinated by airplanes. I wanted to become a pilot, but in 2002 when I was old enough, every pilot I talked to recommended I chose a different education. So, I did and ended up in education. But it seems that now is a very good time to become a commercial pilot. What I would like to know first is if I am too old? I am currently 36 years old. Would you think I would be employable if I am closer to 40 years old when I finish?

40 is not too old. It's a bit over average, but nothing out of the ordinary.

Oykie wrote:
The second thing I am wondering about, is where in the U.S. would you recommend me to apply to become a commercial airline pilot? Most of my friends that have become a pilot in the U.S. have done so in Florida. It seems that is where most people get educated. But how about Los Angeles, or even Atlanta, Georgia? Los Angeles have so many airports and big population. Atlanta has Delta and the world's biggest airport. Do they have a any schools that are good enough to become employable? Any help would be highly appreciated.

The schools aren't likely to be located close to major airports. Don't expect to have flying lessons in and out of LAX. The airspace is just too congested with airliners over major cities.

If you are an American, I can't really help you. But if you are a European, I would suggest looking into some of the big UK based schools, some of the Icelandic ones and the big one in Sweden, just to name a few. It builds a much better network for the day when you have to find a job. Converting from a US license to an EASA license is also a lot harder than the schools will tell you, and will easily cost much more than you saved by going to the US in the first place.

Oykie
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm

To make my question more general. If you have taken the commercial pilot licence in the U.S. would you recommend that school? Do you currently work as a pilot, and did you end up where you anticipated before applying?

mmo

Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:10 pm

First thing I would do would be to arrange to take a FAA Class I medical, if in the US or a EASA Class I medical, if you are located in Europe. If you can't get a Class I medical for what ever reason, you will not be able to work for an airline.

As for me, I am retired but was in the military. However, I did get my PPL when I was 16. At that time to rent a C-150 for 1 hour (Hobbs time) with an instructor it was $8.00/hour! So, as you can see, it was quite a while ago. Perhaps someone younger than me can comment but as I said, the medical is the first hoop you need to jump through.

Woodreau

Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Based on your OP, I assume you are in the US and have no flight experience, or currently only possess a private pilot certificate.

At 36 it is possible to make a career change into a career airline pilot. Many people do it.

There are three main "paths" to get to an airline career in the US:

(1) aviation college with an aviation degree (4 years)
(2) accelerated flight training program (1-2 years?)
(3) traditional Part 61 flight training (at your own pace)

The reason why most flight schools are in Florida is because the weather is conducive to flying.

The minimum experience to become an airline pilot in the US is 1500 hours with an ATP certificate. There are certain schools you can attend that will reduce the minimum required hours (I don't remember off hand, 1000 hours I think) by graduating from an approved aviation program at a designated aviation college or 750 hours if you have completed a military flight training program. None of the 3 paths will leave you with enough flight experience to apply directly to a regional airline. You'll need to obtain some sort of aviation gig to get the flight experience of 1500 or 1000 hours, the most common gig is flight instructing.

Where do you start? I would find an aviation medical examiner and get a first class medical. If you don't qualify for a first class medical, then it's better to know up front before you spend any money on flight training to become an airline pilot.

You'll probably have a specific destination airline in mind like Delta (mine was Southwest), but lots of things happen, and while you might not end up at your destination airline, things somehow work out. But you really don't know until the day you retire if it worked out or not.