Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skywalker92
Topic Author

Tackling the Commercial Pilot

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:22 am

Hello avgeeks,
Hope we got lot of experienced commercial pilots on board :D
My question is what will be the most important and challenging questions that will be raised in an interview for a commercial pilot? Any kind of explanations are highly appreciated!

Regards,
Skywalker92

Woodreau

Re: Tackling the Commercial Pilot

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:09 am

What don’t you like about your current employer?

How did you handle a conflict with another crew member you didn’t get along with?

Have you violated any FARs?

How do you handle complying with company policies you don’t agree with?

Those might be some questions you might encounter.
There are lots of aviation interview websites that you can google for more examples.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:04 am

Thanks woodreau. This will help me a lot. What kind of technical questions will be useful to get familiarize with?

mmo

Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:25 pm

Years ago, I was involved in the pilot hiring process...interviewing. I have had the opportunity?? to do it at two different airlines and they both tended to ask the same type questions. We would ask things like, "If I were to ask your (spouse, significant other, or someone else) what your strength were what would they say or what would they say your areas which need improvement were. Other things were "Give me a situation where you developed a plan and things didn't go as you wished. What did you learn?" You might ask about a time where the candidate handled an emergency situation, what did they learn from that and what would they do differently.

I suppose every airline has their own "process" but they tend to be basically very similar.

Woodreau

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:05 pm

If there is a specific airline you are asking about, you'd be better served googling the airline interview websites to discover what recent interviewees have been asked at their interview.

But in my limited experience, by the time you get to interviewing with a major / LCC airline, they assume you already know how to fly (rightly or wrongly) so the interview is not technically driven, it's more about your decision making, and how you fit into the corporate culture and whether you are a person others can put up with on a multi-day trip.

The regional airlines will have more basic and technical questions, like how do you read a Jepp chart, diagram the fuel system of an aircraft you fly, read this METAR and TAF, etc. or What's exemption 3585 and how do you use it, how do you derive alternate minimums. while you might not know what 3585 is or what alternate minimums are if you have no experience with 121, they might be asking to see how much research you have done about the airline industry.

skywalker92
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am

Big thanks for mmo and Woodreau!. I figured out for what should I pay attention to.

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:59 pm

"Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" by Gary Bristow is useful for the technical bits. It won't get you the "personal" side, though, which tends to carry at least as much weight, if not more.

https://smile.amazon.com/Ace-Technical-Pilot-Interview-2-ebook/dp/B00828KES0