User avatar
readytotaxi
Topic Author
Posts: 5431
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 pm

Where airports offer pre-clearence, example Dublin airport, who funds the cost, is it part airline part airport? Does CBP fund any of it?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:00 pm

Last I heard the host country pays the bill in terms of building the facilities up to CBP requirements and specifications.....but the USA pays the agents and relevant officials to run it.....
 
HTCone
Posts: 101
Joined: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:10 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:06 pm

TropicalSky wrote:
Last I heard the host country pays the bill in terms of building the facilities up to CBP requirements and specifications.....but the USA pays the agents and relevant officials to run it.....


The airlines then pay a fee to use it.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 22683
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:09 pm

From Budget:

Preclearance Cost and Adjustment Model (PCAM):
CBP requires all preclearance sites to share the cost of operational expenses. CBP leadership determined that the total cost of preclearance sites will be adjusted to reflect the routine user fees paid by U.S. bound travelers from those locations. This decision required the development of a comprehensive model to guide decision makers to enable CBP to achieve its mission of securing the borders while simultaneously encouraging legitimate trade and travel. As a result, OF designed the innovative PCAM to estimate the total cost adjustment required, by preclearance airport, in order to better plan and budget for operations. The model estimates how much cost CBP and the airports will incur and enables both parties to better plan and budget for future operational costs.


Also

Fees:
With preclearance, airports provide an additional service to passengers so that they arrive at their destination without the need for further screening and inspection. Airports may charge a fee for preclearance flights that would be added to the cost of a ticket. Air carriers may also choose to incorporate a fee into ticket prices, especially if it is offset by cost savings from preclearance. Of 15 current preclearance locations, 11 charge a fee.



So, in essence, its funded by passengers, airlines, and host airports/governments.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
TropicalSky
Posts: 93
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:15 pm

LAXintl wrote:
From Budget:

Preclearance Cost and Adjustment Model (PCAM):
CBP requires all preclearance sites to share the cost of operational expenses. CBP leadership determined that the total cost of preclearance sites will be adjusted to reflect the routine user fees paid by U.S. bound travelers from those locations. This decision required the development of a comprehensive model to guide decision makers to enable CBP to achieve its mission of securing the borders while simultaneously encouraging legitimate trade and travel. As a result, OF designed the innovative PCAM to estimate the total cost adjustment required, by preclearance airport, in order to better plan and budget for operations. The model estimates how much cost CBP and the airports will incur and enables both parties to better plan and budget for future operational costs.


Also

Fees:
With preclearance, airports provide an additional service to passengers so that they arrive at their destination without the need for further screening and inspection. Airports may charge a fee for preclearance flights that would be added to the cost of a ticket. Air carriers may also choose to incorporate a fee into ticket prices, especially if it is offset by cost savings from preclearance. Of 15 current preclearance locations, 11 charge a fee.



So, in essence, its funded by passengers, airlines, and host airports/governments.



THANKS @ LAXINTL
 
flydude380
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Are the immigration officers based there on secondment? I guess they have to bid for it and it goes popular? Do they have housing and everything paid for?
 
F9Fan
Posts: 521
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:42 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am

flydude380 wrote:
Are the immigration officers based there on secondment? I guess they have to bid for it and it goes popular? Do they have housing and everything paid for?

The specifics are covered by Department of State Standardized Regulations. All assignments are not to exceed five years. While overseas, they would be entitled to rent and utilities as well as a foreign post allowance tax free based on their base pay and the market. They may also be entitled to foreign post differential and danger pay up to a combined 70% of their base pay, which is taxable (but I don't think there will be a pre-clearance facility at KBL anytime soon).
 
DSS787
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:30 am

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:55 am

flydude380 wrote:
Are the immigration officers based there on secondment? I guess they have to bid for it and it goes popular? Do they have housing and everything paid for?


Yes, officers are based in country for 2-5 year assignments. They must apply and be "hired" for it. All are journeyman level (and supervisory level) officers with CBP that come from a variety of ports of entry in the US. Housing and private schooling is paid for according to US government travel/overseas regulations. Very similar to what embassy/consulate workers get when posted overseas. Overall it is popular, though most officers who select it are trying to get out of the port they came from and relocate to a better port back in the US. Some go to save money or pay down debts, and some go for the hell of it.
 
flydude380
Posts: 259
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 am

DSS787 wrote:
flydude380 wrote:
Are the immigration officers based there on secondment? I guess they have to bid for it and it goes popular? Do they have housing and everything paid for?


Yes, officers are based in country for 2-5 year assignments. They must apply and be "hired" for it. All are journeyman level (and supervisory level) officers with CBP that come from a variety of ports of entry in the US. Housing and private schooling is paid for according to US government travel/overseas regulations. Very similar to what embassy/consulate workers get when posted overseas. Overall it is popular, though most officers who select it are trying to get out of the port they came from and relocate to a better port back in the US. Some go to save money or pay down debts, and some go for the hell of it.


Very interesting. I had quick conversation once with a beautician. She was telling me her hubby was based at AUH and loved it!
 
phllax
Posts: 420
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:53 am

Re: US CBP stationed overseas, who funds it?

Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 am

Vancouver is interesting, because they also have pre-clearance at the pier for Alaska bound cruises as well as the border crossing at Point Roberts. I asked at the pier if they shuttle up from either Point Roberts or Bellingham, but they said no (and joked that Point Roberts was a joke), and the folks at the pier go back to YVR in the off season.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BartSimpson, estorilm, Starlionblue, TheEuphorian, trijetsonly, trpmb6 and 11 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos