Egerton
Topic Author

Are OEM's proprietary secrets secure within airworthiness authorities?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:52 am

A case in point may be Boeing v Airbus secrets. Another RR v GE. Each OEM will have spent millions creating workable new technologies, which are presumably is handed over lock stock and barrel to their national Aviation Authority to win certification of a new aeroplane or new aeroengine. Is there a system by which these proprietary secrets remain secure? Yes, I understand patents, but . . .

Noshow

Re: Are OEM's proprietary secrets secure within airworthiness authorities?

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:11 am

You might ask the same question concerning patent offices. Patents get published. Sometimes competitors try to copy stuff their way and have it patented themselves afterwards.

The only truly secure thing is to do things "black". No budget to be tracked no traces. That is costly in another way.

N328KF

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:06 pm

Just a hunch, but I suspect the top-tier Western suppliers will shy away from industrial espionage in the form of technology. The penalties for being busted would be very severe. Even Russia and China have to worry about this if they want their products to be sold outside of their home countries. That's not to say that any of these vendors don't engage in other forms of espionage, such as pricing/bidding information, and charges have been levied against both Airbus (in the form of Aerospatiale) and Boeing, among others, in this sense. But I don't think you'll see them stealing technology and then implementing it in a product. I'm sure the vendors do license technology to each other under FRAND terms.
When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.' -Theodore Roosevelt

ltbewr

Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:13 pm

I would suspect that submissions by aircraft, component and supplier companies when submitted are subject to confidentiality agreements from them to the airworthiness regulating agencies and in turn, that any employee of said agency or any contracted worker has to obey similar agreements.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:16 pm

As an engineer told, me after showing some data I took to be proprietary, “engineering is a vagabond existence, we all have thumbdrives”. Now, he added, that it’s more for knowledge base, as outright copying would quickly be caught and prosecuted.

GF

PhilBy

Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:16 pm

With the delegated authority given to major manufacturers the key IP is not given to the authorities. for certification the manufacurers just provide evidence that the technology meets agreed certification requirements.

jetlife2

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 pm

Speaking about US regulations: The certification and other reports provided by the OEM's to the FAA are protected if they are properly marked. The marking should be similar to the following "Proprietary Information of XXX provided to the US Government for the purpose of evaluation only. Confidential Technical trade secrets , FOIA Exempt."
The last point is important because without such an assertion another OEM could file a FOIA claim and the Agency theoretically would have to comply. In practice such a request would be challenged even if the material was incorrectly marked.

My experience with the FAA and EASA is that they are scrupulous about partitioning the data. I work for a large OEM in a senior position, and I have never in more than 35 years had an Agency divulge inappropriate information coming from another OEM. So in turn I trust them with our data. Of course people with malicious intent can do anything they want, but all the professionals I have dealt with are meticulous on this point.
My views are not necessarily the views of the GE Company

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:24 am

Reference my post, I have no doubts that the airworthiness authorities are very protective of proprietary property. The penalties and potential scandal for not would be huge.

GF