bruh
Topic Author

Question about the use of checklists

Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:25 am

Hello everyone,
I just found this cockpit preperation and normal checklist for the Q400 (http://www.aviationlads.com/download/dash-8-q400-checklist/).

According to this checklist, there are 4 kinds of items: First flight of the day, challenge and response, normal, and APU Startup Procedure.

My question is: Which of these item types do you have to read out loud, which can be silent? Also, is everything except the challenge and response done by 1 pilot only by responding to his items?
Also, how about the apu startup procedure, is it done solo or is it also challenge and response?

Sorry, if this question seems a bit stupid. But I'm a bit confused since someone told me that all of the "normal" items have to be done based on the challenge and response concept.

Starlionblue

Re: Question about the use of checklists

Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:15 am

Caveat: Lots of this stuff is type dependent.

The items on the first two pages aren't checklists. They are flows. The appropriate crew member performs the flow, typically from memory, then may double-check on the document that he/she did everything, perhaps after each section.

The second two pages are checklists. Most of those would be challenge/response as you can see from the colour coding.

Lots of stuff is done with flows. Checklists are there to catch the important stuff that may have been missed. They are kept short and are not cluttered with stuff like "Circuit breakers in".

Automation also means that the plane "checks" many items for us. Type dependent example: If the fuel pumps are off the plane will let us know. So fuel pumps to "on" is in the overhead panel setup flow, and not in the before start checklist.

(Some checklists are "auto-challenge", for example in our case the after take-off and after landing checklists, are both read and responded to by the PM.)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Re: Question about the use of checklists

Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:59 am

Each airline develops its own checklists using the manufacturer OEM manuals as guidance.

So the answer to your question is it depends. The checklist you have is just a checklist, the other part of the checklist is in the airline AOM which has the same checklist, but in expanded form. And dictates how the checklist is to be done, silent flow, challenge and response, read and do, etc. So for each item on the checklist, the AOM expands on what the crew member should be checking and what values are acceptable, and what the response should be.

The same aircraft type at one airline could have a totally different checklist at another airline. I was riding the jumpseat of another airline in an aircraft I was typed and current to fly, but their checklists and flows were totally foreign and I was lost. At another airline in the same type, the checklists and flows were very similar to my airlines checklist.

So although you have the q400 checklist, you are missing the expanded checklist in the AOM which tells you how to run the checklist.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.