Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

3MilesToWRO
Topic Author

English US speakers, what does it mean?

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

Hello. Could you, US English speakers, explain to me a sentence said by a Florida flight instructor to a student? I don't quite get the meaning of "medical" in it, it's a bit too colloquial, I guess. The sentence is:
"If you got yourself a medical I'd have soloed you in a couple of days."
(By the way, it comes from cpt. Dickinson's book, if anyone is interested.)

ZaphodHarkonnen

Re: English US speakers, what does it mean?

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:13 am

From the context it sounds like "If you had got yourself and passed a medical examination I would have let you fly solo in a couple of days."

With medical in this context referring to getting a medical checkup/exam done by a doctor.

I could be wrong as there isn't much context to work off of.

vhqpa

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:16 am

I'm not an American English speaker but in this context I'm 99.99% sure it's referring to a medical (clearance) certificate that basically says you're fit to fly.

Aeroflot777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:55 am

Both of the above posters are correct. Refers to a medical certificate, which is needed to fly as a pilot (whether student or pro).

trijetsonly

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:30 am

In flight school I've met some people from time to time who were technically able to fly a plane solo (good airmanship) but legally not allowed as they havn't got their medical clearance. I'm not sure about the US but in Europe you need a Medical clearance to fly solo. Flight training with an instructor in the plane can be done without.

3MilesToWRO
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:09 am

Thanks for the answers. Medical certificate was also my guess, but I've seen it understood as "If you get a sick leave from the doctor (in order to get some additional days off work) I'd solo you soon". Which would be, of course, cheating, but well, this happens so it wasn't a complete nonsence.

Actually, I think there is also a matter of difference in regulations because (if I'm not mistaken) in Poland I had to get medical certificate before any flying, also with instructor, not just before solo. So maybe the guess that led to misunderstanding was: he already flies, so he must have the certrificate, so "medical" must mean something different.

Woodreau

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:51 pm

If it’s from a book, there was a time long ago in the US during simpler times, you could take flight lessons before receiving a student pilot certificate.

The student pilot certificate and medical certificate used to be on the same form. So when you went to get your medical certificate, the other side was the student pilot certificate. You need both to solo.

So you would fly and train. And at some point before you solo you got your medical and student pilot,certificate. It appears that the student pilot was ready to solo, but because he didn’t have a medical certificate, he also didn’t have a student pilot certificate and so the instructor couldn’t let him solo.

Today the student pilot certificate is no longer issued with the medical certificate. So the context is lost.

strfyr51

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:08 am

3MilesToWRO wrote:
Hello. Could you, US English speakers, explain to me a sentence said by a Florida flight instructor to a student? I don't quite get the meaning of "medical" in it, it's a bit too colloquial, I guess. The sentence is:
"If you got yourself a medical I'd have soloed you in a couple of days."
(By the way, it comes from cpt. Dickinson's book, if anyone is interested.)

A flight medical is a little different from just going TO a doctor. That doctor has to have certification from the FAA.
My brother in law is a fine doctor but cannot flight Certify any pilot. nor can he render a flight physical (He's a Pediatrician also)
We have a dear Friend who is an Admiral at the CDC and cannot render a flight physical certification. The Doctor?? Has to be a Flight Surgeon.
And just the appointment is a pain to get.

N415XJ

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:32 am

Woodreau wrote:
If it’s from a book, there was a time long ago in the US during simpler times, you could take flight lessons before receiving a student pilot certificate.

The student pilot certificate and medical certificate used to be on the same form. So when you went to get your medical certificate, the other side was the student pilot certificate. You need both to solo.

So you would fly and train. And at some point before you solo you got your medical and student pilot,certificate. It appears that the student pilot was ready to solo, but because he didn’t have a medical certificate, he also didn’t have a student pilot certificate and so the instructor couldn’t let him solo.

Today the student pilot certificate is no longer issued with the medical certificate. So the context is lost.

When did this change? Around 2011-2012 I was able to do my training and only had to get my medical certificate right before my solo (got it the same day, actually), and didn't have a separate student certificate.

Woodreau

Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:59 am

April 1 2016 I believe. To get a student pilot certificate you have to submit via iacra to the Fsdo, a dpe, or part 141 airman certification representative and it gets mailed to you. Unlike the old student pilot certificates which expired after 24 or 60 months, the new student pilot certificate has no expiration date like all other pilot certificates.

Redbellyguppy

Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:09 am

You can be a flight student without having a medical exam since the instructor is the pilot of record. However. To solo, however, you must meet the qualifications for at least a third class medical and take the exam. The certificate will say on it "Medical certificate ___ class and student pilot certificate"