hitower3
Topic Author
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 pm

Dear a.netters,

In a recent thread, there was a discussion about Amsterdam Schiphol airport, I noticed that the runways at this airport actually have proper names like "Polderbaan", "Kaagbahn", etc. in addition to their technical designations like 18L / 36R.

I have the impression that AMS is the only airport featuring "named" runways. Or does anyone know about another airport where runways are named?

Best regards,
Hendric
 
26point2
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:48 pm

PHNL 8R/26L “Reef Runway”.
 
User avatar
seat55a
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:08 pm

KJFK 13R/31L "Bay Runway"
 
iRISH251
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2004 3:56 am

Re: Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:07 pm

Frankfurt's unidirectional and departures-only runway 18 was, in its development period, known as "Startbahn West"; I don't know if this name is still much used.
 
hivue
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:26 am

Re: Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Eons ago when 13R/31L at KDAL was new it was referred to locally as the "parallel runway."
"You're sitting. In a chair. In the SKY!!" ~ Louis C.K.
 
ilovelamp
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:45 am

Re: Named Runways

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:17 pm

When 18C/36C was opened in MEM, the local press dubbed it the “World Runway.” No idea if that was officially done by the airport authority, however.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5704
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:21 am

8L/26R is colloquially known by airport wrkers as the "1960 runway" (due to being right next to FM 1960) or "runway in a different zipcode" (due to being super far away from the terminals) God help you if you land there during an arrival bank!
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
mhkansan
Posts: 792
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:55 am

TWA772LR wrote:
8L/26R is colloquially known by airport wrkers as the "1960 runway" (due to being right next to FM 1960) or "runway in a different zipcode" (due to being super far away from the terminals) God help you if you land there during an arrival bank!


At what airport though?
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 5704
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:02 am

mhkansan wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
8L/26R is colloquially known by airport wrkers as the "1960 runway" (due to being right next to FM 1960) or "runway in a different zipcode" (due to being super far away from the terminals) God help you if you land there during an arrival bank!


At what airport though?

Total derp moment! I was talking about IAH.
You know all is right is the world when the only thing people worry about is if the president had sex with a pornstar.


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 360
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:44 am

iRISH251 wrote:
Frankfurt's unidirectional and departures-only runway 18 was, in its development period, known as "Startbahn West"; I don't know if this name is still much used.


Yes, it is, at least informally. Also, the new arrival runway 25R/07L is colloquially called "Landebahn Nord-West", even on Fraport maps.
 
hitower3
Topic Author
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies and examples.
Do I assume correctly that all these names will never be used for ATC communication, like takeoff clearance, which - I hope - strictly identify a runway by the means of their number ("18R")? Or has anyone ever witnessed an ATC or pilot radio call like "cleared for takeoff on Polderbaan"?

Best regards,
Hendric
 
greg85
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:11 pm

hitower3 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies and examples.
Do I assume correctly that all these names will never be used for ATC communication, like takeoff clearance, which - I hope - strictly identify a runway by the means of their number ("18R")? Or has anyone ever witnessed an ATC or pilot radio call like "cleared for takeoff on Polderbaan"?

Best regards,
Hendric



Well, you can't takeoff on 18R in AMS. But of course, they only use the correct numbers. 36L or 18R
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:54 pm

greg85 wrote:
hitower3 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies and examples.
Do I assume correctly that all these names will never be used for ATC communication, like takeoff clearance, which - I hope - strictly identify a runway by the means of their number ("18R")? Or has anyone ever witnessed an ATC or pilot radio call like "cleared for takeoff on Polderbaan"?

Best regards,
Hendric



Well, you can't takeoff on 18R in AMS. But of course, they only use the correct numbers. 36L or 18R


Never been to AMS and not privy to the situation. Why can't 18R be used to takeoff??
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
26point2
Posts: 985
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:01 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:08 pm

ATC addressed taxiway D (Delta) at KATL as “Taxiway Dixie” for decades. This was to avoid confusion with the many Delta Airlines call signs on the radio. Now Delta Airlines is history Dixie might be too. Not sure.
 
User avatar
cranberrysaus
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:34 pm

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 pm

26point2 wrote:
ATC addressed taxiway D (Delta) at KATL as “Taxiway Dixie” for decades. This was to avoid confusion with the many Delta Airlines call signs on the radio. Now Delta Airlines is history Dixie might be too. Not sure.


I'll bite. What?
 
greg85
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

aeromoe wrote:
greg85 wrote:
hitower3 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for the interesting replies and examples.
Do I assume correctly that all these names will never be used for ATC communication, like takeoff clearance, which - I hope - strictly identify a runway by the means of their number ("18R")? Or has anyone ever witnessed an ATC or pilot radio call like "cleared for takeoff on Polderbaan"?

Best regards,
Hendric



Well, you can't takeoff on 18R in AMS. But of course, they only use the correct numbers. 36L or 18R


Never been to AMS and not privy to the situation. Why can't 18R be used to takeoff??


If you look at it on a map, the answer is obvious. There are lots of places with staggered runways where it makes sense that you'll use the right runway for takeoff and left for landing or vice-versa. I suppose AMS is an extreme example. 18R/36L is not just staggered, it's miles away.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 730
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:09 pm

Delta Air Lines (not Delta Airlines) is not history, at least not as this posting. What are you on about?

GF
 
vikkyvik
Posts: 12219
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:58 pm

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:13 pm

greg85 wrote:
If you look at it on a map, the answer is obvious. There are lots of places with staggered runways where it makes sense that you'll use the right runway for takeoff and left for landing or vice-versa. I suppose AMS is an extreme example. 18R/36L is not just staggered, it's miles away.


Just to clarify: I'm pretty sure 36L is available for takeoff. Heck, I'm pretty sure I've been a passenger on a flight that has used it (was years ago though, so memory is a bit foggy).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 pm

greg85 wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
greg85 wrote:


Well, you can't takeoff on 18R in AMS. But of course, they only use the correct numbers. 36L or 18R


Never been to AMS and not privy to the situation. Why can't 18R be used to takeoff??


If you look at it on a map, the answer is obvious. There are lots of places with staggered runways where it makes sense that you'll use the right runway for takeoff and left for landing or vice-versa. I suppose AMS is an extreme example. 18R/36L is not just staggered, it's miles away.


I did just that after I made the post...looked at the map on Wiki. I see the distances involved...and a T/O on 18R would require a back-taxi down the runway and a 180-degree turn around. Thanks for helping me learn something new today!

Moe
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
aeromoe
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:34 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:08 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Delta Air Lines (not Delta Airlines) is not history, at least not as this posting. What are you on about?

GF


What? You haven't heard?? :stirthepot: :duck: :shhh:

Just kidding...I have no idea what he's on about either.
AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR BY B6 CO CZ DG DL EA EI EN FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI J7 KE KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(1) OZ(2) PA PI PT QQ RM RO RV(1) RV(2) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(2) ZZ 9K
 
User avatar
akiss20
Posts: 881
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: Named Runways

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:10 pm

aeromoe wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Delta Air Lines (not Delta Airlines) is not history, at least not as this posting. What are you on about?

GF


What? You haven't heard?? :stirthepot: :duck: :shhh:

Just kidding...I have no idea what he's on about either.


Maybe he is just confusing it with USAir? Or Continental?
Change will not come if we wait for some other person or some other time. We are the ones we've been waiting for. We are
 
e38
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 04, 2008 10:09 pm

Re: Named Runways

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:34 am

Quoting seat55A (Reply 3), "KJFK 13R/31L "Bay Runway"

I have been flying in and out of KJFK for the past 15 years and have never heard either flight crews nor air traffic controllers refer to Runway 13R/31L as the "Bay Runway." It's possible that passengers or airplane enthusiasts refer to it as such, but professional air crews and air traffic controllers do not.

Also, quoting ilovelamp (Reply 6), "When 18C/36C was opened in MEM, the local press dubbed it the “World Runway.”

Similar response. I've been flying in and out of Memphis for many years and have never heard Runway 18C/36C referred to as the "World Runway." My guess is that "World Runway" was a term used by the local press or perhaps the airport authority in a press release to highlight that the extended length of the runway would open up the possibility of nonstop flights from Memphis to more distant destinations, especially for FedEx aircraft. As far as I know, the term "World Runway" has never been used by flight crews or air traffic controllers.

e38
 
User avatar
seat55a
Posts: 201
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Re: Named Runways

Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 am

e38 wrote:
Quoting seat55A (Reply 3), "KJFK 13R/31L "Bay Runway"

I have been flying in and out of KJFK for the past 15 years and have never heard either flight crews nor air traffic controllers refer to Runway 13R/31L as the "Bay Runway." It's possible that passengers or airplane enthusiasts refer to it as such, but professional air crews and air traffic controllers do not.
e38

I don't think anyone is disagreeing about ATC.

However not just avgeeks, but the PANYNJ calls it Bay Runway, clearly expecting the larger interested public to know what they mean.
 
hitower3
Topic Author
Posts: 24
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Re: Named Runways

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks to all posters for their insightful replies!
Hendric
 
MatthewDB
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:33 pm

Re: Named Runways

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:34 am

greg85 wrote:
aeromoe wrote:
greg85 wrote:


Well, you can't takeoff on 18R in AMS. But of course, they only use the correct numbers. 36L or 18R


Never been to AMS and not privy to the situation. Why can't 18R be used to takeoff??


If you look at it on a map, the answer is obvious. There are lots of places with staggered runways where it makes sense that you'll use the right runway for takeoff and left for landing or vice-versa. I suppose AMS is an extreme example. 18R/36L is not just staggered, it's miles away.


Well you got me to pull up the map and indeed, 18R is obviously landing only and 36L is takeoff only. But it does lead me to ask - it must be a real pain if a rejected takeoff happens on 36L?
 
User avatar
gunsontheroof
Posts: 3316
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:30 am

Re: Named Runways

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 am

Taxiway T
-SEA
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.
 
CosmicCruiser
Posts: 2209
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:01 am

Re: Named Runways

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:51 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
When 18C/36C was opened in MEM, the local press dubbed it the “World Runway.” No idea if that was officially done by the airport authority, however.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Not that I'm aware of. This is the first I've heard of it.
 
NBGSkyGod
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 7:30 am

Re: Named Runways

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 pm

26point2 wrote:
ATC addressed taxiway D (Delta) at KATL as “Taxiway Dixie” for decades. This was to avoid confusion with the many Delta Airlines call signs on the radio. Now Delta Airlines is history Dixie might be too. Not sure.


It is actually charted as Dixie on the airport diagrams, and yes this is to avoid confusion. I think the ATIS D code is referred to as Dixie as well. Also not sure what you mean about Delta going away?
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aeromoe, gtae07, rotation18L, Woodreau and 19 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos