Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Balerit
Topic Author

A TAAG Angola Airlines Boeing suffers damage from thrown tyre tread

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:25 pm

A TAAG Angola Airlines Boeing 777-300, registration D2-TEJ performing flight DT-652 from Luanda (Angola) to Lisbon (Portugal), landed in Lisbon's runway 21 when the tread of the aft inboard right main tyre separated, broken pieces punctured flaps and caused damage to hydraulic lines as well as the right hand engine (GE90). The aircraft slowed safely and taxied to the apron.

The aircraft was unable to depart for the return flight DT-653 and is still on the ground in Lisbon about 75 hours later.

A replacement Boeing 777-200 registration D2-TED positioned to Lisbon the following day and performed the return flight as DT-6531 with a delay of about 24 hours.

MoKa777

Re: A TAAG Angola Airlines Boeing suffers damage from thrown tyre tread

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 pm

What would cause the tyre tread to rip off like that?

JAGflyer

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:59 pm

Aircraft tires are usually re-treaded/re-capped. The way this one tore you can see the entire piece of new rubber that makes up the re-tread appears to have tore off.

Francoflier

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:20 am

How did a piece of rubber make it to between the fan and the stator vanes from the inner back side of the gear?
:confused:

I guess it could have been thrown forward and sucked by the fan... Too bad there is no picture of the entire fan to see if a blade was damaged.

Apprentice

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:12 am

Hi: Retreading is normally used in aviation. For a tire retreaded to be use on a/c, a demanding proccess had to be met and an approval by authorities for entire procces and each retreaded tire have to be received. I don’t know the cause nor the authority that approved that retreaded tire back to service, but, excluding any anormally during retreading, a FOD between Tire and new thread or Low N2 tire’s pressure, during normall explotation, use to be the cause of tread disbonding.
Concerning Engine damaged, my best guessing, Due to “unknow” brake’s incident, pilot used engine’s reverse below accepted speed, causing “gas, debriss and in this case, thread reingestion.
Rgds

Balerit
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:10 am

MoKa777 wrote:

Aircraft tyres are re-capped, which means that they get new rubber bonded to the tyre carcass. Usually the number one suspect is under inflated tyre pressures and the first thing that you do when the aircraft arrives at the gate is to take that tyre's pressure. What happens is that the tyre overheats causing the bonding to weaken and the recap flies off. In my years at SAA, I witnessed quite a few tyre treads thrown and usually they occurred while the tyre was relatively new and I've never seen an old or well used tyre throw a tread and funny enough always on take off - maybe the heavy load also played a part. My theory was that the recap bonding process sometimes wasn't done properly or maybe the tyre hadn't been prepared properly before hand. They actually buff the old cap off down to the first canvass ply and there is also a limit to the number of times a tyre can be recapped, I think 3 times.

Apprentice

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:36 pm

Hi: during quick turnarounds, effectivity of tire pressure check drops. Tire arrives to the gate warm or hot and actuall tire pressure is increased. I just remember a very few airliners who had quick turnarounds’ tire pressure check’s procedure, including a Warning: “Never Deflate a Hot Tire”: Air France, AOM..

Balerit
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Hi: during quick turnarounds, effectivity of tire pressure check drops. Tire arrives to the gate warm or hot and actuall tire pressure is increased. I just remember a very few airliners who had quick turnarounds’ tire pressure check’s procedure, including a Warning: “Never Deflate a Hot Tire”: Air France, AOM..

Quite correct. These days it is also easier to check the tyre pressures from the cockpit, in our day we had to check each and every tyre on the pre-flight inspection.

MoKa777

Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Balerit wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:

Aircraft tyres are re-capped, which means that they get new rubber bonded to the tyre carcass. Usually the number one suspect is under inflated tyre pressures and the first thing that you do when the aircraft arrives at the gate is to take that tyre's pressure. What happens is that the tyre overheats causing the bonding to weaken and the recap flies off. In my years at SAA, I witnessed quite a few tyre treads thrown and usually they occurred while the tyre was relatively new and I've never seen an old or well used tyre throw a tread and funny enough always on take off - maybe the heavy load also played a part. My theory was that the recap bonding process sometimes wasn't done properly or maybe the tyre hadn't been prepared properly before hand. They actually buff the old cap off down to the first canvass ply and there is also a limit to the number of times a tyre can be recapped, I think 3 times.

Aah, I see. Excellent explanation and graphic :thumbsup:

Apprentice

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 am

Hi:
And just out of curiosity, inmatriculation any one?
Thanks

Balerit
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:43 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Hi:
And just out of curiosity, inmatriculation any one?
Thanks

???

Apprentice

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 pm

Balerit hi:
I would like to know who is the authority behind this plane certificate, that is the reason for the seson.
Any other question?
Rgds