Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

matty3509
Topic Author

cost 1 hour fuel A320 vs B737

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:06 am

I was wondering if someone has some figures regarding the fuel costs of the airbus 320 and the 737-8. Possibly per hour and the "old" versions, not the neo
Thank you for your help

Flow2706

Re: cost 1 hour fuel A320 vs B737

Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 am

You can not make a blanket statement on this - its depending on the type of operation and other factors. On short flights the fuel burn per hour will be higher as a higher percentage of the flight is spend in the takeoff and climb phases compared to longer flights. Also the weight and speed (i.e. cost index) of the aircraft will affect the fuel burn. And as you are talking about fuel costs and not fuel burn in kgs, local differences in fuel cost/ton will have an impact. Even things like aircraft age play a role (in the Airbus FMGC there is a "performance factor" which reflects the performance&fuel burn variation of the specific aircraft compared the the "baseline aircraft"...as the aircraft gets older this factor usually gets higher, i.e. more fuel is burned). Even the distribution of the payload (Pax&Cargo) can have an influence on fuel burn (for most aircraft types having the CG in the last third of the certified range generates a better specific range however this effect is negligible for the A320 family due to complex aerodynamic factors). Obviously the airlines practices concerning APU usage, single engine taxi and Flap 3 landings (on the Airbus, I think on the 737 they use Flap 30 or 40 for landing most of the time which should also influence fuel burn) also affect the fuel burn. However as a rule of thumb an A320 uses around 2400-2800kg fuel/hour (but I could be up to 3500kg/hour or so and a short flight - as mentioned above the takeoff and climb consumes a lot of fuel). The worldwide average cost for one ton of jet fuel is 646$/ton at the moment according to IATA ( http://www.iata.org/publications/econom ... index.aspx ), so the fuel cost for one hour of flight would be in the region of 1500-2000$.

BawliBooch

Re: cost 1 hour fuel A320 vs B737

Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:53 am

According to the PR of one local airline that chose 737-800's for its new LCC instead of more A320's operated by the parent company, the -800 with winglets burnt less fuel on flights longer than 3 hours than A320's (winglets were not an option on the Airbus back then).

The LCC in question has average flights of 4 hours.