Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Next Generation Helicopters

Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm

Helicopters are a marvel, in some ways they are like a bumblebee which were long described as not able to fly. In the Korean War era they made an appearance and had (very) limited use. During my service time in the 60s I was warned and advised not to do all that much joy riding just because I could. I still took advantage and hitched about any ride I could.

The physics of how a helicopter works is amazing, they were inherently unstable and materials were at the edge of what was needed. Material science and engineering along with computer science have made helicopters the work horses they have become. But still the physics of lift and control are problematical and very expensive to boot.

Suddenly now in the 21st century teens everyone of my grandkids, some under five, has his or her own helicopter drone. Modern electronics have made the things inherently stable, kind of like a miracle. Three or four electric powered rotors, each independently controlled and synchronized by computers have made the difference. Is there any reason these will not become up gauged to something the size of a Chinook over the next 30 years?

I picture an appropriately powerful turbine engine/generator with great sound reduction cladding providing power to those 3 or 4 rotors directly attached to electric motors. No noisy gearing, not mechanical moving parts to fail, cheap to operate and maintain. It will be like going from a coal fired steam engine to a modern diesel electric locomotive.

TWA772LR

Re: Next Generation Helicopters

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:24 am

There's been talk of heavy lifting (that goes point to point and doesn't call for a fixed wing airlifter like an Antonov) moving toward airships.

The UK has Airlifter and there is a photo in the database of a Lockheed-Martin airship meant to do civilian heavy lifting. IIRC it was for jobs such as mining and logging.

The military will need a new large-lifting helicopter eventually, but when that will be is anyone's guess since (correct me if im wrong) Chinooks, Ospreys, and Super Stalions aren't pressurized so their life isnt limited by cycles like a civilian airliner of military strategic airlifter.

It's interesting to think of nonetheless! It's not often that the future of helicopters is talked about here on a.net!

seat55a

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 am

I don't believe quadcopter drones are inherently stable (aerodynamically). It's just that computers feed back faster than humans. You can also do this with traditional helicopter designed toys (main plus tail rotor).

Quads may be simpler in that you don't need as many degrees of freedom to the rotor.

With a single main rotor (or two) and variable pitch, autorotation provides some fail-safety. Not sure how you save a quadcopter with invariant pitch and one dead motor.

keesje

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:38 am

I discussed opening a dedicated Helicopter / vertical lift forum a long time ago. I still think it would be an attractive upgrade to a.net forum. Zillions of topics to be discussed.. Paulo (RIP :frown: ) liked the idea. Mods, could you discuss again?

https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1323199&hilit=keesje

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:30 pm

The Wikipedia article on engines and flight implicitly enumerates the complex mechanicals and flight controls with multitudes of possible failure modes. The maintenance costs of keeping helicopters going makes them almost prohibitive for civilian flying. We all have heard the bills for a medivac flight.

The stability of drones with a turbine powered generator and some battery capacity with computers seems as follows. First and foremost, no complex failure prone moving parts. Turbine engines producing electricity, batteries, and simple flight rotors on an electric motor shaft are utterly proven technologies. Failure rates likely will match modern jet liners and automobiles almost from the first iteration. Basic computer controls with gyroscopes are again proven, and small and light enough to allow appropriate backup computers. Maintenance will be close to a modern jet or auto.

I suspect that the clatter and noise of a helicopter represents the basic inefficiency of the machinery. I have somewhat been a fan of all that. We lived under one of the Fort Lewis Yakima flight paths, and even had a few of the beasties circle our house in the middle of the night. Does anyone know the efficiency of a four rotor drone? I suspect it is a lot better than a standard helicopter, but don't know that.

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:58 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a- ... smsnnews11

This is a significant event in the use of drones. 70 seconds to rescue the two swimmers caught in bad seas versus 6 minutes had a lifeguard had to swim out. And subsequent monitoring of the safety of the two people rescued. That time difference is astounding and life saving.

DigitalSea

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Well the Osprey is a good example of what happens when you have very powerful rotors. You turn the local area into a Tornado.

frmrCapCadet
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 am

Osprey: What? 2500% over budget (including unexpected rebuilding and maintenance), unreliability champion, dangerous. Complexity beyond what modern engineering can handle, and again apparently a multitude of potential failure modes. What's not to dislike.