BalkanBoy
Topic Author

A320 Family TOGA Thrust Rarity

Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:57 pm

I understand the most common thrust setting for takeoff on the a320 series is FLEX. I found a lot of information explaining FLEX and TOGA, but I would like a general idea of how often TOGA power is used during takeoff. I know some carriers have SOP's that require TOGA thrust during inclement weather, and at specific airports/runways. I imagine that dispatch determines the optimum FLEX temp and puts it in the preflight paperwork. Do bus pilots have ability to elect to execute a TOGA power takeoff instead to "buy" time if they are running late? Thanks in advance!

Woodreau

Re: A320 Family TOGA Thrust Rarity

Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Pilots can choose to use TOGA power for takeoff anytime even if FLEX is computed.

However using TOGA isn’t going to save on flight time

The thrust levers are only in FLEX or TOGA for less than 5 minutes for a given flight (usually less than 2 minutes). The limitation is that you can only be in TOGA or FLEX/MCT for a maximum of 5 minutes or 10 minutes if you are single engine.

Once you take off there really isn’t a lot you can do to “make up time”. You can fly M0.81 or try to negotiate shortcuts with ATC but the difference between M0.81 and M0.78 is 18kts. So over a 3 hour flight you save maybe 7-8 minutes by flying M0.81 instead of M0.78. Where you can make up time is by taxiing fast on the ground (a few minutes) or turning the aircraft at the gate quicker (10-15 minutes). But since my priority is safety I get there when I get there. If I can get there on time that is awesome.

The only time TOGA is required is if the takeoff performance won’t return a FLEX setting. Well there are a few other times too, i.e. contaminated runway, etc. But you can choose TOGA anytime. No one flies leaving the thrust levers in the TOGA detent.

The point of a FLEX takeoff is to save on engine wear and to extend engine life.

At one airline (non-Airbus) pilots would only do TOGA takeoffs due to stalled contract negotiations. The bean counters probably lost more money doing more frequent engine changes than if they’d just continued negotiating.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Florianopolis

Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:47 am

Question: In general, if the airplane takes off at MTOW, or at the maximum usable weight given temperature and runway length, it will be a TOGA thrust takeoff? I'm thinking a Phoenix or Vegas transcon on a July afternoon is probably a TOGA takeoff ? In other words, you keep loading the airplane until you run out of payload, runway, or thrust? If you've maxed out runway, you're probably maxing out thrust?

DFWflightpath

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 am

Woodreau wrote:
At one airline (non-Airbus) pilots would only do TOGA takeoffs due to stalled contract negotiations. The bean counters probably lost more money doing more frequent engine changes than if they’d just continued negotiating.

Wow that’s interesting. How many TOGA takeoffs would it take to impact engine wear?

zeke

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:33 am

Florianopolis wrote:
Question: In general, if the airplane takes off at MTOW, or at the maximum usable weight given temperature and runway length, it will be a TOGA thrust takeoff? I'm thinking a Phoenix or Vegas transcon on a July afternoon is probably a TOGA takeoff ? In other words, you keep loading the airplane until you run out of payload, runway, or thrust? If you've maxed out runway, you're probably maxing out thrust?

Not necessarily, those airports have long runways. Also most engines these days are designed to keep maximum thrust beyond sea level, so in a hot day at sea level they should still have thrust margins.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Flow2706

Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am

BalkanBoy wrote:
I know some carriers have SOP's that require TOGA thrust during inclement weather, and at specific airports/runways. I imagine that dispatch determines the optimum FLEX temp and puts it in the preflight paperwork.

Actually takeoff performance (Speeds and also FLEX temperature) is usually calculated by the crew, either by using some software on the EFB (Airbus provides a software called "FlySmart" for that purpose, but some airlines have their own software) or by using paper charts. But it is possible that the takeoff data could be calculated by dispatch and then send trough ACARS as well, but I've never flown for an airline that does it this way...you can not use FLEX on contaminated runways and when wind shear is expected.
DFWflightpath wrote:
Wow that’s interesting. How many TOGA takeoffs would it take to impact engine wear?

Every TOGA takeoff adds wear to the engine, so the idea is just to minimize TOGA takeoffs and to maximize FLEX temperature (obviously you have the least engine wear with the highest FLEX temperature, i.e. with the lowest possible thrust - however it is said that the "first degrees" have the biggest impact, you increasing the FLEX temperature from 45 to 47 will be saving a lot more than increasing the FLEX from 65 to 67). Interesting fact: FLEX Takeoffs actually increase the fuel usage as more time will be spend in the takeoff phase - however the saving in maintenance costs greatly outweighs the small fuel saving of a TOGA takeoff...
Florianopolis wrote:

As zeke says its not so much an issue with weight, but rather with runway lenght. I have done FLEX Takeoffs at MTOW in Hamburg (Runway length 3250m), however on shorter runways its often necessary depending on payload and conditions (f.e. in Paderborn with a 2180m runway you are rather limited but the actual conditions have a huge impact on the maximum weights and Flex Temperatures - a 20 degree shift in wind direction can increase or decrease your allowable takeoff weight by one ton or so...this can be an issue when going to the canary islands, on a "bad" day you can be limited to maybe 73 tons but in favorable conditions you can take almost MTOW, 77 tons. Obviously if you have some margin to your allowable takeoff weight you will also get a Flex Temperature)

Redbellyguppy

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:13 pm

The only thing TOGA is going to buy you is stopping margin and perhaps some fourth segment climb. That said, stopping margin is valuable if you need it.

DFWflightpath

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:24 am

Redbellyguppy wrote:
The only thing TOGA is going to buy you is stopping margin and perhaps some fourth segment climb. That said, stopping margin is valuable if you need it.

Could you explain how TOGA takeoff impacts 4th segment climb (to a novice)?

Starlionblue

Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:21 pm

Flow2706 wrote:
BalkanBoy wrote:
I know some carriers have SOP's that require TOGA thrust during inclement weather, and at specific airports/runways. I imagine that dispatch determines the optimum FLEX temp and puts it in the preflight paperwork.

Actually takeoff performance (Speeds and also FLEX temperature) is usually calculated by the crew, either by using some software on the EFB (Airbus provides a software called "FlySmart" for that purpose, but some airlines have their own software) or by using paper charts. But it is possible that the takeoff data could be calculated by dispatch and then send trough ACARS as well, but I've never flown for an airline that does it this way...you can not use FLEX on contaminated runways and when wind shear is expected.

With ACARS, it's not so much that dispatch calculates it for you. ACARS is just a transmission method in this context. The calculation is made by an automated remote system. You punch the numbers into the FM interface and send them via ACARS, and the system automatically returns the performance "card" via ACARS. If ACARS isn't working, the numbers can be entered and received via alternative methods such as on a web page or even SMS.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
With ACARS, it's not so much that dispatch calculates it for you. ACARS is just a transmission method in this context. The calculation is made by an automated remote system. You punch the numbers into the FM interface and send them via ACARS, and the system automatically returns the performance "card" via ACARS. If ACARS isn't working, the numbers can be entered and received via alternative methods such as on a web page or even SMS.

oh, you should hear the FO gnashing of teeth when ACARS isn't working. "What I have to get ATIS, PDC the old fashioned way over the radio?" Never mind trying to get performance numbers over the radio...... Oh I forgot to call our out and off times too (just as we're about to land at the destination.)
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Starlionblue

Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:11 am

Woodreau wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

oh, you should hear the FO gnashing of teeth when ACARS isn't working. "What I have to get ATIS, PDC the old fashioned way over the radio?" Never mind trying to get performance numbers over the radio...... Oh I forgot to call our out and off times too (just as we're about to land at the destination.)

:rotfl:

I know the feeling. "Talk to someone on the radio? What are we, cavemen?"

A few months ago we were having issues logging on to Rekyavik CPDLC and we needed our oceanic clearance. Instead of giving us two more minutes to sort the issue, Reykjavik insisted we copy the clearance by voice. Over HF! The FO had to ask them to "say again" about ten times. Oceanic clearances are looong and copying down lat/long references over a scratchy radio is not ideal.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Redbellyguppy

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:00 am

DFWflightpath wrote:
Redbellyguppy wrote:

Sorry I meant to type in second segment climb not fourth. I was talking to my kid about something fourth grade was doing and got distracted.

DFWflightpath

Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:39 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:
DFWflightpath wrote:
Redbellyguppy wrote:

Sorry I meant to type in second segment climb not fourth. I was talking to my kid about something fourth grade was doing and got distracted.

ha! makes more sense now

tb727

Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:56 am

Woodreau wrote:

Just had my first ACARS INOP since moving to the left seat. It was really nice not having to do radio closeout for numbers finally!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:26 am

tb727 wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

Just had my first ACARS INOP since moving to the left seat. It was really nice not having to do radio closeout for numbers finally!

This is why I love the EFB. :D

zeke

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:28 am

Starlionblue wrote:
A few months ago we were having issues logging on to Rekyavik CPDLC and we needed our oceanic clearance. Instead of giving us two more minutes to sort the issue, Reykjavik insisted we copy the clearance by voice. Over HF! The FO had to ask them to "say again" about ten times. Oceanic clearances are looong and copying down lat/long references over a scratchy radio is not ideal.

Aren’t you an SO ? Why was the RQ doing the HF ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Starlionblue

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:07 am

zeke wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Aren’t you an SO ? Why was the RQ doing the HF ?

If memory serves I tried first, but the reception was terrible. After a while, the FO took HF to see if they could hear him better, and right then they gave us the clearance.