Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BOEING777EK
Topic Author

Cavok Air flights from Leipzig/Eindhoven-Ghardaia

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:41 pm

I use flightradar24 everyday to track planes and flights especially Antonov AN-12's. Once while I was tracking planes using flightradar24 something caught my attention it's not a usual flight you would expect from a cargo airline but it operates over 4 times per week. An airline called Cavok air which is a Ukrainian airline that operates charter flights has been operating flights from Leipzig-Ghardaia and Eindhoven-Ghardaia for over a Month now which adds more to my curiosity. The flights usually become online around 7:00-8:00PM UK time and operates over 4 times per week with flight numbers as CVK7072 CVK7074 CVK7022.

Does anyone know the answer to these odd chartered flights because it's been over a month now and by the looks of things it's carrying some type of cargo. Feel free to comment and thanks for your help. :)

BOEING777EK

Bozk

Re: Cavok Air flights from Leipzig/Eindhoven-Ghardaia

Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:59 pm

This is not an answer just a comment. A bit silly one. It's probably something very ordinary and business related. Yeah I hear you saying thanks captain obvious :)
When I first started plane stalking on fr24 and compulsively tracking the planes I dream flying someday :) which was around the time when military coup in Turkey took place one night I noticed more than 10 private jets taking off from IST in about ten minutes time one after another (while airliners were on hold) with no destination flying towards the midlands. I was like holy f*ck what the hell is that about. Turns out there was a football game and politicans and businessmen were going to see it. I don't know what's on your mind but it's probably not the rebirth of the soviets with their biggest rival brexitters joining them.

LG-K220 cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi

workhorse

Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:48 pm

These last few years there is quite a bit of An-12s flying some weird city pairs over Europe and BTW not all of them are seen on FR24. Over Paris, I hear them quite often in the night (you can't mistake the sound of four AI-20s for anything else) and when I look at FR24, nothing.

BOEING777EK
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:22 pm

workhorse wrote:
These last few years there is quite a bit of An-12s flying some weird city pairs over Europe and BTW not all of them are seen on FR24. Over Paris, I hear them quite often in the night (you can't mistake the sound of four AI-20s for anything else) and when I look at FR24, nothing.
Interesting maybe the ones you heard belong to a military company and flightradar24 is blocking the aircraft so users can not track it. My theory may be unlikely but we do know that flightradar24 blocks most military aircraft such as the A400M and the C-130 so this one may be no different.

workhorse

Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:04 pm

Yes, I think you're right. I guess the European military do outsource at least part of their flying and An-12 operators such as CAVOK bid for that (why wouldn't they?).

But I'm quite sure what I hear over Paris is not C-130s or A400Ms. This powerful low-pitched growl is unmistakable.

Ideekay

Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:39 pm

The Leipzig-Ghardaia flight flies over my house very frequently and I its always the same AN-12 on the same route.
This route is being flown for the german military (Bundeswehr)

Source in german: https://www.mz-web.de/leipzig/flughafen ... t-25392252

BOEING777EK
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:09 pm

Ideekay wrote:
The Leipzig-Ghardaia flight flies over my house very frequently and I its always the same AN-12 on the same route.

Wow interesting does Germany have some sort of military base at Ghardaia where the AN-12 fly regularly with military equipment transported such as ammo and weapons

And currently UR-CEZ another AN-12 is doing the Leipzig-Ghardia route as of now https://www.flightradar24.com/CVK7078/fcdc13d

CARST

Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:45 am

BOEING777EK wrote:
Ideekay wrote:

Wow interesting does Germany have some sort of military base at Ghardaia where the AN-12 fly regularly with military equipment transported such as ammo and weapons

And currently UR-CEZ another AN-12 is doing the Leipzig-Ghardia route as of now https://www.flightradar24.com/CVK7078/fcdc13d

I guess these are bringing in stuff for the German UNO/UN missions in Africa. German soldiers are currently taking part in the following missions:

UN MINURSO: West-Sahara
UN EUTM: Mali
UN MINUSMA: Mali
UN UNAMID: Sudan
UN UNAMISS: Sudan
UN EUTM SOM: Somalia

You also have German Navy ships taking part in:
EUNAVFOR Atalanta: coast of Djibouti & coast of Somalia
EUNAVFOR MED Sophia: coast of Lybia

You can see all their current missions by clicking on this link: http://www.einsatz.bundeswehr.de/portal ... 50OSCD3GG1

Spacepope

Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:39 pm

I've seen them doing a lot of transatlantic runs lately, from Huntsville AL to Leipzig via Goose Bay. That's a long regular flight in a turboprop.

VSMUT

Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 am

They also did a lot of flying from Gothenburg to one of the car manufacturing cities in Germany for a while. Often with the An-12, but also the An-26 and An-74.

A lot of these Antonov operators are just civilian businesses that bid on contracts just like any other ATR, 737 and ATP cargo operator does. At other times they get hired in to replace out of service cargo planes of other operators, so you see them a lot on seemingly random flights across Europe.