Alue
Topic Author

Noise level on the crj 700

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 am

How how noisy is the crj-700? How does the noise level compared to say an Airbus A319 or a Boeing 737?

I have hyperacusis which makes loud noises painful, and if a noise is loud enough it can make my condition worse. Normally I get by okay wearing earmuffs on flights, but I'm unfamiliar with this type of aircraft.

trijetsonly

Re: Noise level on the crj 700

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:41 am

It is quite in the front (much quiter than A320 or 737) but much noisier in the back.
Happy Landings

Flighty

Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:35 am

This is a modern jet. Same noise level as a typical narrowbody. Airbus is likely a bit quieter. I suffer like you and often wear earplugs on flights. The CRJ landing gear makes a lot of noise as you taxi around. And the noise when the gear doors open is startling to everyone.

Other thoughts in case you care. My loudest airline trips recently were a DC-9-50 in the back, and a Dash-8 in front, just astride the fan blades. I didn't have hearing protection, and it caused me some grief even though it was a great ride. One very quiet airplane I rode on was the Avro RJ85 on Northwest Airlink DCA-DTW. The A340-500 was also very quiet. The 777s are loud. The A380-800 has near silent engines - when it flies by you cannot hear it!! Some of this information is out of date now, obviously. Enjoy your trip.

ramzi

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:32 pm

I first flow the CRJ700 very recently, around a month ago, and was warned plenty about the noise, which simply was not valid. Sitting towards the front, it was a very quiet flight, quieter than the 737 I had flown right before it.

It would make sense that it gets loud towards the back, but I didn't walk past row 10 or so and that was still more quiet to me than a 737 or 777. I have to say it was a pretty smooth and comfortable flight too, the small cabin means less noise from within the fuselage.
There will come a time when you believe everything is finished - that will be the beginning.

zeke

Tue Dec 05, 2017 12:41 pm

You can always look at a document called the TCDS noise, it will have the scientific measurements for comparison.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Alue
Topic Author

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks for the replies, I was able to call the airline and move my seat from the very back to the front. I feel a little more comfortable about it now.

Flighty wrote:
This is a modern jet. Same noise level as a typical narrowbody. Airbus is likely a bit quieter. I suffer like you and often wear earplugs on flights. The CRJ landing gear makes a lot of noise as you taxi around. And the noise when the gear doors open is startling to everyone.

Other thoughts in case you care. My loudest airline trips recently were a DC-9-50 in the back, and a Dash-8 in front, just astride the fan blades. I didn't have hearing protection, and it caused me some grief even though it was a great ride. One very quiet airplane I rode on was the Avro RJ85 on Northwest Airlink DCA-DTW. The A340-500 was also very quiet. The 777s are loud. The A380-800 has near silent engines - when it flies by you cannot hear it!! Some of this information is out of date now, obviously. Enjoy your trip.

What do you mean by 'a lot of noise' for the landing gear? Like 90db or more? I wear earmuffs because I don't know if earplugs allow your ears to equalize. Are foam earplugs safe for takeoff and landing?

zeke wrote:
You can always look at a document called the TCDS noise, it will have the scientific measurements for comparison.

I just looked at those, but the only noise levels they mention are Lateral EPNL, Flyover EPNL, and Approach EPNL. That is outside the cabin right? I'm not familiar with the EPNL scale, how does that compare to decibels?

PPVRA

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:42 pm

Ear plugs are safe for flight. It’s your middle ear that equalizes, and it does so through the Eustachian tube that runs through the inside of your head from the middle ear to your throat. But hey, standard advice—I’m no doctor, so talk to one...
"If goods do not cross borders, soldiers will" - Frederic Bastiat

drdisque

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:54 pm

The gear down noise is just startling since the gear itself is very close to the floor and the clunk they make and the wind noise is a pretty sharp contrast to gliding towards the runway nearly silently.

Alue
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Flighty wrote:

Thanks. Do you remove your earplugs during takeoff and landing, or do you just leave them in the whole flight?

I'm curious, with airplanes that have the engines mounted on the wings (Airbus A319 or a Boeing 737 etc.) I understand the back is louder than the front, but does the seat make that big of a difference?

PPVRA wrote:
Ear plugs are safe for flight. It’s your middle ear that equalizes, and it does so through the Eustachian tube that runs through the inside of your head from the middle ear to your throat. But hey, standard advice—I’m no doctor, so talk to one...

Yeah, you're right we equalize through the Eustachian tubes as our eardrums are sealed. The only thing I could see is building up a little pressure on the outside of the eardrum if the earplug seals the pressure in, but I don't know how significant that would be. Having enough ear issues as it is, I'm a little paranoid of making it worse.

BawliBooch

Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:00 am

I have had 3 flights on the CRJ700 - all seated in the first 4 rows.

I thought the CRJ700 was noticeably noisier on the ground during takeoff roll, landing and taxiing to the gate. The wheel sounds are more amplified IMO.
L' Esprit de Mai 68

AA737-823

Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:43 am

Regarding ear plugs, I also used to be concerned about leaving them in during climb and descent.
But I've since found that it isn't a problem.
Regarding the CR7, I've always found it to be a perfectly pleasant ride, noise-wise. But not in the tail.
I'd probably advise against visiting the lavatory- it's pretty noisily situated between the engines.

TOGA10

Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:28 pm

Have you thought about getting an active noise cancelling headset? Makes everything much more quiet!
The natural function of the wing is to soar upwards and carry that which is heavy up to the place where dwells the race of gods. More than any other thing that pertains to the body it partakes of the nature of the divine. - Plato

WPvsMW

Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:37 pm

earplugs + NC headset... mo' bettah

767333ER

Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:13 pm

For the most part it is quieter than an A320 and much quieter than a 737. The last few rows are a bit on the noisier end of things, but the noise is a hum similar to sitting just forward of the engine on a A320 or 737 rather than the loud roar of siting near the back of a 737. In my experience the 737 is one of the noisiest mainstream passenger jets still in production so its not hard to be quieter than that, but I believe the MAX is quieter. The last time I was on a CRJ was the 705 and I sat just ahead of the exit row and it was very quiet there. I can imagine the rows in front of that are even quieter. If you are sensitive to noise as you say, just take the exit rows of forward and you should be fine.
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

Alue
Topic Author

Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:48 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
Have you thought about getting an active noise cancelling headset? Makes everything much more quiet!

I use good earmuffs. I'm undecided if noise cancelling headphones are any better for hearing protection. I think for low tones NC might be better, but for higher tones earmuffs provide more protection.

767333ER wrote:
For the most part it is quieter than an A320 and much quieter than a 737. The last few rows are a bit on the noisier end of things, but the noise is a hum similar to sitting just forward of the engine on a A320 or 737 rather than the loud roar of siting near the back of a 737. In my experience the 737 is one of the noisiest mainstream passenger jets still in production so its not hard to be quieter than that, but I believe the MAX is quieter. The last time I was on a CRJ was the 705 and I sat just ahead of the exit row and it was very quiet there. I can imagine the rows in front of that are even quieter. If you are sensitive to noise as you say, just take the exit rows of forward and you should be fine.

Hmm, I'll be flying on a 737 on as well, but that's only an hour flight and I was able to move my seat up to the front (I'm assuming the front isn't as loud).

767333ER

Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:56 pm

Alue wrote:
Hmm, I'll be flying on a 737 on as well, but that's only an hour flight and I was able to move my seat up to the front (I'm assuming the front isn't as loud).

:checkmark:
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T

KentB27

Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm

They're a heck of a lot quieter than the CRJ-100 and 200 are. Since it has aft mounted engines it's going to be louder the further back you sit. Also, I would try to avoid sitting back there in the first place since that's where the only crapper is on the CRJ7. One thing I have noticed about the CRJ is that it seems to have a pretty loud AC system that has a very distinctive hum to it. This is very noticeable on the ground.

Alue
Topic Author

Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:19 am

Thanks for all the tips!

One more question. For Airplanes with the engines mounted underneath the wings (like the Airbus A319), which would be quieter: sitting parallel / slightly behind the engine or sitting further behind the engine?

I used to never worry about these things until I had hearing damage...

drdisque

Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:45 pm

For wing engines they make two types of noise - next to the engine you'll get more vibration and high pitched noise from the fan blades and compressor. This is similar the noise you hear at the back of a tail engine aircraft but less intense.

Behind the wing you get more of a low roar as the thrust roars out of the back of the engine and causes some turbulence with the air around it and upon approach, the flaps.

I personally prefer the "compressor noise" to the roar, but also found that noise-cancelling headsets do a better job of cancelling the roar than the compressor noise.