jonathanpun
Topic Author

Confusion about Spare Parts listed in Airbus AMM/AIPC

Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi,
Sorry for a very long question. Probably this question is very technical. Hope that someone can help me.

In the introduction of the AIPC, Airbus said:
Spare Part information is suppressed at POST SB items, to avoid usage of data not applicable to the PRE SB Aircraft Configuration. It is reinstated when the Configuration is changed to EMB SB.
So Spare Parts which are listed below an item are only applicable to the Aircraft effectivity of that item for the FSNs which are written as; **ON A/C .... preceding that item.
Spare Parts are NOT applicable to Aircraft effectivity where the FSNs are mentioned as PRE/POST SB but NOT written in the first line; **ON A/C ....

This is copied from A330 AIPC Introduction para 6 (BJ). and it confuses me a lot......

I got a real example from IPC:
** ON A/C 001-010 [Line A1]
PRE SB 21-1213 for A/C 001-009 [Line A2]
Standard Part: xxxxx-01
Spare Part: xxxxx-02

** ON A/C 011-100 [Line B1]
POST SB 21-1213 for A/C 001-009 [Line B2]
Standard Part: xxxxx-02
Spare Part: xxxxx-01

So, according to the paragraphs in the Introduction, this is my understanding:
For A/C 010:
Standard part is -01, and we can still put -02 as spare

For A/C 002 PRE SB:
I can put -02, because 002 is listed in [Line A1], so spare parts following, that is -02, is also applicable.
For a recap, "So Spare Parts which are listed below an item are only applicable to the Aircraft effectivity of that item for the FSNs which are written as; **ON A/C .... preceding that item."

For A/C 003 POST SB:
Standard part is -02 and we can still put -02 as spare. (Which means the same)
I listed -02 as spares because of the reason above in the PRE SB 002.

For A/C 011-100:
Standart part is -02, and we can still put -01 as spare.

So in conclusion, the SB limits engineers to install -02 only, while Pre-SB still allows engineers to install -01 and -02. Is my understanding correct?

If yes, then here come with the second question:
I don't understand why we can still refer the PRE-SB table for the spares of POST-SB items. (that is the spare of A/C 003 highlighted in magenta above).
It's lucky that the spare for PRE-SB a/c is exactly the same as the standard part for POST SB a/c, so there's no contradiction about spare information for a/c POST-SB (003 above) and a/c which were originally installed with -02 (053-100 above).
What if the spare for PRE-SB a/c is NOT the same as the standard part for POST SB a/c?

** ON A/C 001-010 [Line A1]
PRE SB 21-1213 for A/C 001-009 [Line A2]
Standard Part: xxxxx-01
Spare Part: xxxxx-02

** ON A/C 011-100 [Line B1]
POST SB 21-1213 for A/C 001-009 [Line B2]
Standard Part: xxxxx-
Spare Part: xxxxx-04

So I can conclude this:::
For A/C 010:

For A/C 002 PRE SB:
I can put -02, because 002 is listed in [Line A1], so spare parts following, that is -02, is also applicable.

For A/C 003 POST SB:
Standard part is -03 and we can still put -02 as spare. (Which means the same)
I can put -02, because 003 is listed in [Line A1], so spare parts following, that is -02, is also applicable.

For A/C 011-100:
Standart part is -03, and we can still put -04 as spare.

Now you can compare the spares of 003 (magenta one) and 011-100 (green one). I think they are contradicting, as the magenta paragraph means I can install the spares of PRE-SB (-02) as a spare of POST-SB (-03). Isn't it weird?
I think that wouldn't make any sense if the SB is to have a modification to change completely the interface of the component with other neighbour components, say -01/-02 require three screws to fix while -03/04 require five screws to fix.

Am I correct? Or I have misunderstood the sentences in the paragraph:
So Spare Parts which are listed below an item are only applicable to the Aircraft effectivity of that item for the FSNs which are written as; **ON A/C .... preceding that item.
Spare Parts are NOT applicable to Aircraft effectivity where the FSNs are mentioned as PRE/POST SB but NOT written in the first line; **ON A/C ....
?

If I have misunderstood, what does it mean? Could you give me an example based on my -01/02/03/04 example?

LAE320

Re: Confusion about Spare Parts listed in Airbus AMM/AIPC

Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:26 pm

You're right, this is a fairly complex issue and Airbus does not make it easy.

The vital thing to do is to actually look at what the SB involves. I usually use Airbus World for this. Many of the SBs only affect the components (for example, a change in the spec of the internal seals) which is the reason that all dash numbers in the range can be installed. The component interface is often the same, if it isn't, reading the SB will give you the information you need.

Another thing - you'll often find that a pre SB component is listed as a spare part for a post SB component. When a part is listed as a spare part for another it can always be installed, subject to provisos such as 'not suitable for ETOPS' etc which will be written in the IPC.