Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Erfandean
Topic Author

Fuel exhaustion

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm

What does "fuel exhaustion" mean?

I have an ICAO English teacher who says "fuel exhaustion" in radio communication means excessive fuel consumption.
But when i google it there are some sources which mention fuel exhaustion is when there's no more fuel onboard, now i'm confused.
which one is correct?

Woodreau

Re: Fuel exhaustion

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:35 pm

To me it means there is no more fuel on board and engines are no longer running and I hope I’m physically on the ground and not in the air.

Although I do have to admit that my first 10 years of flying I was operating without fuel as soon as I pulled the towline release and still managed to obtain over 200 hours of flight without burning any more fuel.

zeke

Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:38 pm

Fuel exhaustion means you have exhausted (depleted) your fuel supply, i.e. you run out of fuel.

fr8mech

Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:35 am

Erfandean wrote:
What does "fuel exhaustion" mean?

I have an ICAO English teacher who says "fuel exhaustion" in radio communication means excessive fuel consumption.
But when i google it there are some sources which mention fuel exhaustion is when there's no more fuel onboard, now i'm confused.
which one is correct?

Why are you confused? The Google machine is always right. Please post the name of this alleged teacher, so that we can publicly castigate this charlatan. :bouncy: Just kidding. Relax.

It may help to know what the primary language is. The teacher's translation seems a little literal.

In common usage, exhaustion of a consumable means to use it up.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/exhaustion

77west

Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:48 am

I had someone ask me today what a "runway excursion at Queenstown" meant. I explained what an excursion was, and why Queenstown was a bad airport to try one at.

Fuel exhaustion, however, is bad at any point that you are still in the air, or taking off. (especially from Queenstown, or similar airports)

Erfandean
Topic Author

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Alright thank you for your help, i actually argued with my teacher about this but she won't be changing her mind soon :D

BravoOne

Fri Nov 17, 2017 4:29 pm

Google ONA DC9 accident ,or Avianca 707 accident for practice examples of fuel exhaustion.

Redbellyguppy

Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:43 pm

You should say to her ma'am, what you are describing is fuel fatigue which if not relieved ultimately will lead to fuel exhaustion..